Japan says North Korea not interested in meaningful talks

UNTV News   •   December 18, 2017   •   3475

Japan’s Foreign Minister Taro Kono speaks during the United Nations Security Council meeting on North Korea’s nuclear program at U.N. headquarters in New York City, New York, U.S., December 15, 2017. REUTERS/Brendan McDermid

UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) – Japan’s Foreign Minister Taro Kono told the United Nations Security Council on Friday that North Korea was “nowhere near ready” to abandon its nuclear and missile programs and was not interested in a meaningful dialogue.

He noted that North Korea’s intercontinental ballistic missile launch last month came 75 days after its previous tests.

“Some optimistic views labeled 75 days of silence as a positive signal. However, the missile launch in November made it clear that North Korea was continuing to relentlessly develop its nuclear and missile programs even while they were seemingly silent,” he told the 15-member council.

Reporting by Michelle Nichols; Editing by Susan Thomas

North Korea fires projectile; tells UN it has ‘right to test weapons’

Aileen Cerrudo   •   September 28, 2021

North Korea on Tuesday  fired an unidentified projectile into the Sea of Japan.

Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Katsunobu Kato during a press conference on Tuesday confirmed that a suspected ballistic missile was launched from inland North Korea.

He said Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga has already released instructions in response to the launch.

“This imposes a huge threat to the safety and stability of our country and the region and it is a serious issue faced by the international community. We will continue to gather and analyze information and be fully prepared with vigilance,” Kato said.

No harm to Japanese aircraft or ships has been reported in the latest incident, he added.

The Japanese official also said that they have begun intelligence analysis and gathering to ensure the safety of their aircraft, vessels and other assets. Kato assured that Japan will take all possible precautionary measures including readiness for contingencies.

Meanwhile, North Korea reiterated at the United Nations (UN) General Assembly that it has the right to test weapons.

“Nobody can deny the righteous right to self-defense for the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK) to develop, test, manufacture and possess the weapon systems equivalent to the ones which are possessed or being developed by them [South Korea and the United States],” said Kim Song, permanent representative of the DPRK to the United Nations.

Song also urged the US to withdraw its “hostile policy” toward his country so as to “contribute to the peace and stability of the Korean peninsula and the world.” AAC

DFA calls on North Korea to comply with int’l obligations after ballistic missile launch

Aileen Cerrudo   •   March 31, 2021

MANILA, Philippines—Following the ballistic missile launch of the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK) on March 25, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) has reiterated its call for the country to comply with international laws.

The Foreign Department, in a statement on Friday (March 31), expressed concern over DPRK’s latest ballistic missile launch saying the actions undermine regional peace and stability, not only in the Korean Peninsula, but also in the entire region.

The department said the DPRK should abide by the obligation under the resolutions set by the United Nations Security Council.

Two missiles were launched by North Korea into the sea near Japan on Thursday (March 25). AAC

Pyongyang disinfects the city after North Korea introduced tougher curbs against coronavirus

UNTV News   •   July 29, 2020

North Korea’s state-run television on Tuesday (July 28) released a video of Pyongyang workers disinfecting the city as the state introduced tougher curbs against the coronavirus, after it locked down the town Kaesong, on the border with the South, to tackle what could be its first publicly confirmed infection.

Strict quarantine measures and the screening of districts were in progress and test kits, protective clothing and medical equipment were being supplied, the North’s KCNA state news agency said.

The measures come after North Korean leader Kim Jong Un declared an emergency on Sunday (July 26) after a person who defected to South Korea three years ago returned across the highly fortified demilitarised zone (DMZ) to Kaesong this month with symptoms of COVID-19, KCNA reported.

Reclusive North Korea had reported testing 1,211 people for the virus as of July 16 with all returning negative results, the World Health Organisation said in a statement sent to Reuters. The report said 696 nationals were under quarantine. (Reuters)

(Production: Minwoo Park)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.