Iran’s Rouhani rules out talks with U.S. until sanctions lifted

Robie de Guzman   •   August 28, 2019   •   329

TEHRAN, IRAN (AUGUST 27, 2019). Iranian president, Hassan Rouhani | Courtesy: Reuters

Iran will not talk to the United States until all sanctions imposed on Tehran are lifted, President Hassan Rouhani said on Tuesday (August 27), a day after President Donald Trump said he would meet his Iranian counterpart to try to end a nuclear standoff.

Trump said on Monday (August 26) he would meet Iran’s president under the right circumstances to end a confrontation that began when Washington pulled out of Tehran’s 2015 nuclear deal with six powers and reimposed sanctions on the country.

Trump also said talks were under way to see how countries could open credit lines to keep Iran’s economy afloat.

Rouhani said Iran was always ready to hold talks, but added the U.S. must first lift all unjust sanctions imposed on the country. Speaking at a news conference in Tehran, Rouhani said the key to resolving the current dispute between Iran and the U.S. was in the hands of Washington.

Trump has ruled out lifting economic sanctions to compensate for losses suffered by Iran.

Since ditching the deal last year, Trump has pursued a policy of “maximum pressure” to try to force Iran into broader talks to restrict its ballistic missile program and end its support for proxy forces around the Middle East.

European parties to the deal have struggled to calm the deepening confrontation between Iran and the United States since Trump pulled Washington out last year.

Iran, which has slowly been breaching the nuclear deal in retaliation for U.S. sanctions, has threatened further violations in early September unless it receives sanctions relief.

Rouhani said Iran was ready to fulfil its commitments to the deal as long as the U.S. made the same move.

Trump and Rouhani are both due to attend the United Nations General Assembly in September. However, any meeting between Trump and Rouhani would have to be approved by Iran’s utmost authority Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, who has the last say on all state matters. (Reuters)

(Production: Dina Selim, Parniyan Zemaryalai)

TAGS   

Iran admits to having downed UIA passenger plane, says it was by mistake

UNTV News   •   January 11, 2020

A view of victims’ possessions around the wreckage after an Ukraine International Airlines Boeing 737-800 carrying 176 people crashed near Imam Khomeini Airport in Tehran, killing everyone on board, in Shahriar, Iran, 08 January 2020. EPA-EFE/ABEDIN TAHERKENAREH

TEHRAN — Iran admitted on Saturday that its armed forces had downed a Ukraine International Airlines passenger jet with 176 civilians on board and said it had been an involuntary human error.

The Iranian military had been denying their responsibility in the tragedy – which took place on Tuesday, shortly after the UIA flight PS752 took off from Tehran airport – for the past two days after several NATO members, spearheaded by Canada, said they had intelligence suggesting the plane crash was not due to a technical error, but rather had been brought down by ballistic missiles.

“The Islamic Republic of Iran deeply regrets this disastrous mistake,” Iranian President Hassan Rouhani wrote on Twitter. “My thoughts and prayers go to all the mourning families. I offer my sincerest condolences.”

Rouhani said in a separate post that the investigation into the circumstances that led to the tragic error would continue.

Meanwhile, the Islamic Revolutionary Guard said in a statement that the mistake was made in the context of a “very delicate crisis situation,” claiming that the Boeing 737 had flown close to a IRG military center with the “altitude and flight position of an enemy target.”

Iran’s foreign minister, Javad Zarif, also took to Twitter to express his regret for the incident and partially blamed it on the United States’ “adventurism.”

“A sad day. Preliminary conclusions of internal investigation by Armed Forces: Human error at time of crisis caused by US adventurism led to disaster,” Zarif wrote. “Our profound regrets, apologies and condolences to our people, to the families of all victims, and to other affected nations.”

The crash occurred in the context of a targeted missile attack against two US bases in Iraq, Tehran’s retaliation for the assassination of its top general, Qasem Soleimani, via drone strike in Baghdad on Jan. 3. Iran warned the US in advance of this limited response, thus avoiding any casualties.

On Friday, the head of Iran’s Civil Aviation Organization, Ali Abedzade, ruled out the possibility that the airliner had been shot down by the army.

“One thing is for certain, this airplane was not hit by a missile,” Abedzadeh said during a press conference in Tehran held in response to earlier remarks by Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau saying his government had evidence indicating that the cause of the crash that killed all 176 passengers was a missile strike.

On Saturday, it was also revealed that 57 passengers onboard the aircraft were Canadian nationals, instead of the 63 that had been initially reported. EFE-EPA

mv-dl

Trump imposes new sanctions after Iran attacks US bases in Iraq

UNTV News   •   January 9, 2020

US President Donald J. Trump (C) delivers a statement on the US response to Iranian missile strikes, beside US Vice President Mike Pence (Front R) US Secretary of Defense Mark Esper (Front L) in the Grand Foyer of the White House in Washington, DC, 08 January 2020. EFE/EPA/MICHAEL REYNOLDS

WASHINGTON — The president of the United States Donald Trump said Wednesday his country would be imposing fresh sanctions on Iran which would remain in place until the country “changes its behavior.”

The announcement comes after Iran struck two military bases used by US troops stationed in Iraq overnight.

“As we continue to evaluate options in response to Iranian aggression, the United States will immediately impose additional punishing economic sanctions on the Iranian regime,” Trump said.

“We suffered no casualties. All of our soldiers are safe and only minimal damage was sustained at our military bases,” Trump told reporters of the attack on the two military installations.

“Iran appears to be standing down, which is a good thing for every American, and for the world” he continued.

Trump said Iran was a “leading sponsor of terrorism,” something that posed a “threat” to the “civilized world.”

He also spoke about the killing of top Iranian general Qasem Soleimani in a US drone strike on Friday, saying that the US had “eliminated a terrorist” who had been behind some of the world’s “atrocities” and who had “fueled bloody civil wars” in the Middle East.

The slain commander had been “planning new attacks on American targets but we stopped him,” according to Trump.

“He should have been terminated long ago,” he said, adding that his killing sent a “powerful message” to others.

Trump also made reference to the “very defective” nuclear deal with Iran that “expires soon,” and urged other signatories to abandon it in favor of finding another solution to curb the country’s activities.

The US has already withdrawn from the deal, known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (PCPOA), which was agreed under his predecessor, Barack Obama, along with the leaders of China, France, Russia, the United Kingdom and Germany.

“We must all work together toward making a deal with Iran,” Trump told the media.

The president vowed that Iran would “never be allowed to have a nuclear weapon” while he was the leader of the US.

He used the occasion to hail the US economy, saying it was “stronger than ever before.

“We are independent, and we do not need Middle East oil.”

The head of state also referred to US military equipment, saying: “the fact we have this great military equipment however does not mean we have to use it.”

Trump also called on NATO to get “much more involved in the Middle East process.” EFE-EPA

ssa/sh/ja

PH implements forced repatriation in Iraq, Iran, Lebanon

Aileen Cerrudo   •   January 8, 2020

The Philippines has implemented forced or mandatory repatriation in Iran, Iraq, and Lebanon amid the rising tension between the United States and Iran.

There are currently 36,799 Filipinos in the three said countries.

Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) Secretary Silvestre Bello III said several government officials facilitating the repatriation process will leave the Philippines by next week.

Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA) Administrator Bernard Olalia will fly to Lebanon, Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) Administrator Hans Leo Cacdac will travel to Saudi Arabia and Kuwait, while DOLE Usec. Claro A. Arellano will fly to the United Arab Emirates (UAE).

Bello said the government officials will travel with the Rapid Response Team (RRT).

“They will bring with them the RRT or the Rapid response team so that they could immediately brief our OFWs there of the situation and the action that our department together with the other department will take in order to ensure a well coordinated and safe repatriation of our OFWs,” he said.

The Labor Secretary also said they created a crisis management committee to provide further assistance to Filipinos in the Middle East.

“We have a crisis management center and you can call this center through the hotline of DOLE,” Bello said.

The public can contact DOLE at 1349 and OWWA at 1348.

Meanwhile, there are a over 2.1 million Filipinos expected to repatriated from the Middle East in case a full-scale war erupts.

The government calls on Filipinos to voluntarily return to the Philippines if they know that the situation in their area may possibly worsen.—AAC (with reports from Dante Amento)

TAGS   , , ,

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

(+632) 8920.8336 (Fax)

info@untvweb.com (General inquiries)

support@untvweb.com

UNTV News and Rescue Emergency Hotlines:

LANDLINE (+632) 8396-8688

ADVERTISE WITH US

(+632) 8 442.6244 Loc. 143, 144, 162, 164

advertising@untvweb.com

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.