Indonesia seizes 210 tonnes of Australian trash, plans to send it back
Marje Pelayo • July 11, 2019 • 1170
REUTERS – Indonesia said on Tuesday (July 9) that it was planning to send back 210 tonnes of trash to Australia, in its latest attempt to push back waste imported from Western countries.
The eight containers seized at Tanjung Perak port in Indonesia’s second largest city, Surabaya, contain plastic bottles, used baby diapers and electronic products, East Java province Customs said in a press release.
Chief of the port’s customs told Reuters three companies were involved in the shipment and were responsible to re-export after an investigation.
This is the second time in less than a month that Indonesia re-exported contaminated waste. Last month, Indonesia sent a consignment of Canadian paper waste back from the same port.
Indonesia and its neighbouring Southeast Asian countries Malaysia and Philippines have been sending back trash amid a spike in imports from Western countries after China banned imports, disrupting the global flow of millions of tonnes of waste each year.
The idyllic holiday island of Bali has also been hit by the effects of the coronavirus crisis, with 40,000 hotel bookings already having been cancelled and the island’s economy standing to lose almost $110 million per month as Bali’s Tourism Board reported.
With only two cases reported so far, the island particularly suffers from the cancellation of all flights to and from China, one of its biggest tourist markets.
Around a million Chinese tourists visit the holiday island every year. It is the second-largest group of foreign arrivals after Australians.
Bali’s airport spokesman told state news agency Antara this week that in the first half of February about 740,000 people visited the island, 16.25% fewer than the same period last year, despite precautionary measures like spraying disinfectants or measuring the temperature of all passengers upon arrival.
Bali’s Deputy Governor, Tjokorda Oka Artha Ardana Sukawati, told media after a meeting of the local parliament that tourism in Bali has declined by 30 percent due to the coronavirus outbreak.
Tourists who lounged at Bali’s idyllic beaches said the situation was still manageable as only a few positive cases had been reported.
Indonesia President, Joko Widodo, had announced on Monday that a mother and daughter had tested positive to the virus. The discovery of the first cases came after some medical experts had raised concerns about lack of vigilance and a risk of undetected cases in the country of more than 260 million people. (REUTERS CONNECT)
(Production: I Wayan Sukarda, Sultan Anshori, Heru Asprihanto, Ute Swart)
Flooding caused by torrential rain paralyzed large parts of Indonesia’s capital on Tuesday (February 25), as major streets were inundated with murky, brown flood water and power supplies cut in certain parts of the city.
In a residential area in East Jakarta, residents were evacuated on a rubber dinghy.
Flooding was particularly severe in the Bekasi area west of the capital, though big swathes of the low-lying city were also badly affected.
Indonesia’s weather agency linked the rains to tropical cyclones in Australia and in the Indian ocean that had caused bad weather across the islands of Java, Bali and Nusa Tenggara. The agency also warned of high waves in the seas south of Java.
Jakarta is prone to flooding and at the start of the year, the city suffered some of the heaviest rains since records began, causing floods that killed more than 60 people and displaced around 175,000 people. (Reuters Connect)
(Production: Tommy Ardiansyah, Tabita Diela, Angie Teo)
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.