‘Indisposed’ Duterte skips National Heroes’ Day celebration
Robie de Guzman • August 26, 2019 • 128
According to Duterte’s former long-time aide and now Senator Christopher Lawrence “Bong” Go, the president was feeling out of sorts after studying and signing many documents and meeting with different personalities, including Moro National Liberation Front Founding Chairman Nur Misuari over the weekend.
MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte did notattend the commemoration of the National Heroes’ Day at the Libingan ng mga Bayani on Monday.
“He’s indisposed, 74 years old na po si Pangulo, kailangan niya ring magpahinga… Magkasama pa kaming kaninang madaling araw, mga four ng umaga,” Go told reporters.
(He’s indisposed. The President is already 74 years old, he needs rest. We were together until early this morning, around 4 a.m.)
Go, however, assured that there is nothing to worry about the president’s health.
Malacañang earlier said House Speaker Alan Peter Cayetano was tapped to represent the chief executive at the National Heroes’ Day rites.
The Palace also said that by Monday afternoon, the president is set to visit the family of a soldier killed in a clash in Calbayog City, Samar.
Duterte earlier called on Filipinos to reflect on the country’s history and honor the brave souls who “courageously fought for our freedom and the democratic ideals upon which our nation was founded.”
He also urged the public to be “everyday heroes who will reach out to those who are in need, especially to the ones who have been neglected by society.” (RRD with details from Correspondent Rosalie Coz)
MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte is pushing for the use of gross taxation system over net tax collection in a bid to eliminate corruption in the government.
Duterte floated the idea on Thursday, saying the adoption of gross taxation system would significantly reduce corruption, starting in the Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR).
The president previously made mention of this proposal during a media interview in Malacañang on Tuesday.
“Pag gross, wala na. ‘Yang mga examiner, wala nang trabaho ‘yan. Dito ka sa neto eh kasi may mga ano, bayaran, exemption ganun,” he said.
“Kung sinsero talaga kayo and you are on my side to stop corruption, if media would really help government and the Filipino people, all you have to do — tayong lahat, we agitate Congress, gross na tayo,” he added.
The president, however, did not elaborate on how the suggestion will be implemented.
Gross income tax is a tax assessed against the money somebody earns and is applicable to income from a job, as well as to funds that are set aside in an estate or trust.
While net taxes, are levied on production less subsidies received. It also paid to the government less transfer payments.
Net taxes are a simple version of a checkbook balance for governments as they measure the inflows and outflows of the state’s tax activities.
Duterte said that the need for examiners will be eliminated if the computation system of corporate taxes will be changed.
“I guarantee you, ‘pag pumunta tayo ng gross, wala ng examiner, wala ng deduction then they do not haggle for anything. ‘Pag nandiyan na ‘yung resibo, ‘yan na ‘yun,” he said.
The chief executive said this form of tax is already being used in foreign countries, including Hong Kong, Singapore, and Japan.
In response to Duterte’s suggestion, the Department of Finance (DOF) said it will look into shifting to gross taxation.
MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte is monitoring 100 more Bureau of Customs (BOC) officials allegedly involved in corruption within the agency.
In a speech during the launching of Bataan government center and Business in Balanga town on Thursday, Duterte said he received a list of 164 BOC executives purportedly engaging in corrupt practices.
The president then quoted a former Customs’ employee who said that removing these officials would rid the agency of corruption.
“At itong Customs, I was given a list of 164. They have been there already for 38 years, 15 years, 20 years, 25 years,” he said.
“Sabi nung taong ma-acquit sana, an ex-employee of — sa Customs, ‘itong mga tao na ito, ‘Mayor, kung matanggal mo ito, mawawala ang corruption sa gobyerno,’” he added.
“In the meantime that I am investigating the 64, I think they were already suspended by the Ombudsman, I’m still trying to look for these 100 idiots, these sons of a b****,” the president further stated.
Sixty-four of these officials have already been placed on floating status in July and are facing administrative and criminal charges for unlawful activities.
Following Duterte’s proposal, BOC executives met on Wednesday (Sept.11) but have yet to release any information on their discussion on a new system seeking to eliminate the use of brokers in the processing of shipments in the port area. RRD (with details from Correspondent Rosalie Coz)
MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte has ordered the adoption of a cash-based budgeting system beginning this year in a bid to improve the fiscal planning of government agencies.
Under Executive Order No. 91, which was signed on Sept. 9 and made public on Sept. 12, Duterte directed government agencies to shift to a new system from the current obligation budgeting system.
“There is a need to improve the fiscal planning of government agencies through the implementation of an operational cash budget and by setting deadlines for obligation of funds and execution of projects during the fiscal year, in order to speed up the implementation of programs and to promptly deliver goods and services to our people,” Duterte said.
The order states that all authorized appropriations can only be used until the end of each fiscal year while payments for obligations incurred shall be made three months after the end of the validity of appropriations.
Any unreleased appropriations and unobligated allotments as well as unpaid obligations at the end of the year should be returned to the National Treasury and will not be available for expenditure, except by subsequent legislative enactment.
Financial subsidies appropriated to local government units, meanwhile, will be reverted to the National Treasury after the end of the succeeding fiscal year.
Moreover, projects with an implementation period exceeding 12 months shall require a multi-year contractual authority (MYCA) from the Department of Budget and Management (DBM) before their procurement, the order said.
The MYCA may also be issued for single-year procurement projects, or those with an implementation period of 12 months or less that are either research or scientific in nature.
The contractual authority shall cover the full project cost and will be the basis of the approved budget for the contract.
The government had long been operating on obligations-based budget which allowed agencies to spend funds even after the year ends.
The DBM previously attempted to shift to a cash-based budget for 2019 but this was thumbed down by Congress.
Duterte, however, insisted the new system believing that this will help ensure the speedy implementation of programs and delivery of services to the public.
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.