Independence Day protest: Militants ask Malacañang to stop defending China

Marje Pelayo   •   June 12, 2018   •   4509

MANILA, Philippines – Despite the heavy downpour, militant groups remained unfazed as they flocked in front of the Chinese Consulate office in Makati City and the U.S. Embassy in Manila on Tuesday, June 12.

Some vented their anger over the fate of some Filipino fishermen whose catch had been seized by Chinese coast guard. They noted that Malacañang and the fishermen themselves admitted that there were instances that Chinese coast guard left them with only noodles and canned goods in exchange for the fish. This, to them, is a sign of surrender to China.

“Anong magagawa ng noodles at tubig kung hindi makapangisda ang mga mamamayang Pilipino? Pero ito ang itinutulak ni Duterte sa atin. Ang pagsuko niyang ito ay nagpapatunay ho na ang sikmura niya mismo ay made in China,” shouted a militant.

The Palace again clarified that they are taking steps to prevent a repeat of the incident but refused to call it a form of harassment

“We are demanding that the Chinese should take steps to stop the coast guard from doing these acts. Gumawa na kami ng mga hakbang at ang hinihingi natin, gumalaw ang mga otoridad ng Tsina na itigil itong mga pangyayari,” said Presidential Spokesperson Secretary Harry Roque.

With this statement, the militant groups appealed to the palace spokesperson to stop defending China.

“Si Roque sa halip na iprotesta niya ito eh parang binibigyang katuwiran pa ang ginawa ng Chinese Coast Guard,” said opposition Congressman Antonio Tinio.

“Ngayon po ay araw ng kalayaan pero walang kalayaan sa West Philippine Sea lalo na para sa ating mga mangingisda na inaagawan ng mga huli ng Chinese Coast Guard. Ang panawagan natin sa araw na ito ay kamtin natin ang tunay na kalayaan,” he added.

June 12, 2018, is the country’s 120th-year commemoration of the Philippine Independence.

However, the militants believe that the country is not completely liberated unless it is free from the influence of foreigners and that Filipino fishermen in Bajo de Masinloc and nearby areas can fully exercise their exclusive rights to the riches of the island. – Mai Bermudez / Marje Pelayo

Filipino fans pay tribute to Kobe Bryant with mural of him with his daughter

UNTV News   •   January 28, 2020

Filipino fans painted a giant mural of late basketball star Kobe Bryant together with his daughter Gianna inside a neighborhood basketball court in Taguig City on Tuesday (January 28) as a tribute to the late sportsman.

Bryant and his daughter were among the nine passengers killed in a helicopter crash in the Santa Monica foothills near Calabasas, California, United States on Sunday (January 26).

Fans painted the picture to pay tribute to Bryant, both as an athlete and as a father.

They started painting the mural on Monday and completed it overnight.

Basketball is one of the Philippines’ most popular sports, with makeshift courts popping up appearing in many neighborhoods and children frequently seen playing on the streets.

Bryant rocketed to fame as an 18-year-old rookie and played 20 years for the Los Angeles Lakers. Nicknamed the “Black Mamba”, he was named in the NBA all-star team 18 times and won five NBA championships.

(Production: Adrian Portugal, Peter Blaza)

Manila Health Dep’t. says rumored novel coronavirus case just pneumonia

Robie de Guzman   •   January 27, 2020

MANILA, Philippines – The Manila City government on Monday, January 27, denied rumors spreading online about a case of novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) in the Philippine capital.

In a statement, the Manila Public Information Office (PIO) said there is no confirmed case of the 2019-nCoV involving a Chinese national who was admitted at the Metropolitan Hospital in Binondo.

Manila City Health Officer Dr. Arnold Pangan identified the Chinese national as a 27-year old male who was working at a Philippine Offshore Gaming Operator (POGO).

Pangan said the Chinese man was hospitalized last January 25, 2020, due to fever and cough. The City Health Officer said the foreigner reportedly resides on the boundary of Pasay and Paranaque Cities.

“Case is a 27-year old male, arrived in the Philippines as POGO worker last January 8, 2020. He is from Obei, China,” Pangan said in his report to the Office of the Mayor.

“MHD Surveillance Team, in coordination with DOH surveillance, and as per investigation, patient has fever and cough but negative on the history of travel to Wuhan, China, and no history of exposure to a host or positive case,” he stressed.

Pangan said the Chinese national was diagnosed with community-acquired pneumonia.

“As of the moment, the patient is well and does not have fever,” he said.

“The MHD is in a continuous effort of intensive information dissemination in our public schools and respective barangays regarding precautions on stopping transmission of coronavirus,” he added.

The Manila PIO said “the coronavirus scare on social media has apparently compelled the following schools in the nation’s capital to suspend classes” for Monday.

  • Philippine Academy of Sakya
  • Saint Stephen’s High School
  • Saint Jude Catholic School
  • Chiang Kai Shek College – Padre Algue and Narra branches
  • Uno High School

Meanwhile, Manila Mayor Francisco “Isko Moreno” Domagoso appealed to the public to avoid sharing unverified information on social media to prevent panic or anxiety among the public over the virus spreading internationally.

“Hindi ikinikibit-balikat ang sitwasyong ito. Be vigilant. Huwag kayong maiilang. Huwag muna masyadong mag-alala. Tayo po ay makinig sa mga lathalain, panawagan ng mga tamang tao at ahensya ng gobyerno,” he said.

Mayor Isko also encouraged all citizens to immediately proceed to the nearest clinic or health center if they feel they are suffering from symptoms of the virus, which include cough, fever, and shortness of breath.

“Ngayon naman, sa lahat ng ating mga barangay, nakikisuyo ang ating MHD na kayo’y makipagtulungan by just being vigilant. Kayo rin, tayong lahat, huwag kayong matatakot kapag kayo ay may ubo. Mas maganda magpagamot at magpa-check up,” he said.

The national Department of Health (DOH) has said there is still no confirmed case yet of 2019-nCoV in the Philippines although it is monitoring at least 11 individuals for a suspected respiratory infection. These patients under investigation have been recorded in different hospitals in Muntinlupa and Pasay Cities in Metro Manila, Kalibo in Aklan, El Nido in Palawan, Cebu City, and Camiguin, based on DOH’s data.

Based on the latest report of China’s National Health Commission, the death toll from the novel coronavirus strain has spiked to 80 on Monday with hundreds of new infections despite massive travel lockdown and quarantines in China.

The virus was first detected in the Chinese City of Wuhan and has since spread to neighboring towns and other countries. Confirmed 2019-nCoV cases have been reported as far as the United States, Canada, France, Australia, Nepal, as well as in Asian cities of Taiwan, Japan, Singapore, South Korea, Hong Kong, Thailand, and Vietnam.

Lunar New Year event in Binondo to push amid novel coronavirus risk

Robie de Guzman   •   January 23, 2020

Filipino-Chinese revelers scramble to get candies in celebration of the Chinese New Year at Manila’s Chinatown, Philippines, 08 February 2016. Filipino-Chinese communities welcome the Year of the Monkey, holding various activities and practices traditionally believed to bring good fortune for revelers. EPA/FRANCIS R. MALASIG

MANILA, Philippines – Organizers of festivities connected with the Chinese New Year celebration on January 25 said the countdown event scheduled in Binondo on Friday will still push through amid the threat of novel coronavirus spreading internationally.

Thousands of people are expected to troop on Binondo streets during the countdown event on Friday night, making the transmission of the virus from an infected person very likely in this kind of environment.

Cholo Sediaren, one of the organizers of the Chinese New Year in Manila, said they are closely coordinating with local authorities for the safety of the participants amid the threat of a new coronavirus strain which has already killed 17 in China.

“Hopefully we’ll be able to pull off na would be enjoyable but at the same time be safe for everyone especially since the line-up is really big and we are expecting a lot of people to attend,” Sediaren said.

Authorities in the District of Binondo – also known as Manila’s Chinatown – said they are on alert against the disease and distributed face masks to their constituents to prevent them from getting the virus.

They also advised residents not to join the festivities if he or she is feeling under the weather or are having flu-like symptoms such as cough, fever or colds.

The National Health Commission of China reported that as of Wednesday, more than 500 people have been infected by the new coronavirus strain. There are eight other known cases from other countries – Thailand has four confirmed cases, while Japan, Taiwan, South Korea, and the United States have each reported one.

The previously unknown coronavirus strain was first detected in the Chinese City of Wuhan in late December 2019.

In the Philippines, there is no confirmed case yet of the new coronavirus strain according to Health Secretary Francisco Duque III. However, they are monitoring several individuals from China who were reported to have manifested symptoms of respiratory illness.

Common symptoms of novel coronavirus include cough, throat irritation, and fever.

Coronavirus, which is a large group of viruses common among animals, causes respiratory infections ranging from common colds to more serious diseases such as Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS).

The virus can be transmitted to humans through contact with an infected person or animal, authorities said.

The Department of Health has advised the public to always practice frequent handwashing, avoid crowded places and contact with an infected person, and to thoroughly cook food, especially meat and dairy products. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Asher Cadapan Jr.)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

(+632) 8920.8336 (Fax)

info@untvweb.com (General inquiries)

support@untvweb.com

UNTV News and Rescue Emergency Hotlines:

LANDLINE (+632) 8396-8688

ADVERTISE WITH US

(+632) 8 442.6244 Loc. 143, 144, 162, 164

advertising@untvweb.com

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.