Impact of Facebook data leak hard to tell — expert

admin   •   March 23, 2018   •   3274

Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg addresses the audience during a meeting of the APEC (Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation) Ceo Summit in Lima, Peru, November 19, 2016. REUTERS/Mariana Bazo

Mark Zuckerberg, vows to step up to fix problems as Facebook, the social media giant, fights over a growing scandal over the hijacking personal data from 50 million of its users.

The Facebook loss came after U.S. and British media reported that the data of more than 50 million Facebook users were inappropriately used by a British data analysis company, Cambridge Analytica, in activities allegedly connected with U.S. President Donald Trump during his 2016 campaign.

But Adjunct Professor Amy Zalman of Georgetown University argued that the impact may be powerful in theories. It was hard to tell how much impact the data leak may have on the political campaigns, given the complexity of human behavior.

“Because they use our data for advertising, right? It’s what they do and how they make their money,” Zalman said.

She does not think that technology companies like Facebook will reform without some really clear incentives that come either from Washington or from citizens, from popular pressure.

“And that can be powerful but human behavior is a complicated thing. We don’t fully understand it,” said the adjunct professor.

Facebook admitted that an estimated 270,000 people had downloaded the app and shared their personal details with it. — Reuters

Trump threatens permanent freeze of WHO funding, to weigh U.S. membership

UNTV News   •   May 19, 2020

U.S. President Donald Trump threatened on Monday (May 18) to permanently halt funding for the World Health Organization (WHO) if it did not commit to improvements within 30 days, and to reconsider the membership of the United States in the body.

Trump suspended U.S. contributions to the WHO last month, accusing it of promoting China’s “disinformation” about the coronavirus outbreak, although WHO officials denied the accusation and China said it was transparent and open.

“If the WHO does not commit to major substantive improvements within the next 30 days, I will make my temporary freeze of United States funding to the WHO permanent and reconsider our membership,” Trump told its chief, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, in a letter posted on Twitter.

Earlier, Trump said the WHO had “done a very sad job” in its handling of the virus and he would make a decision soon on U.S. funding.

In his letter Trump said the only way forward for the body was if it could demonstrate independence from China, adding that his administration had already started reform discussions with Tedros.

On Monday, the WHO said an independent review of the global virus response would begin as soon as possible and it received backing and a hefty pledge of funds from China, in the spotlight as the origin of the pandemic. (Reuters)

(Production: Bob Mezan)

Trump calls coronavirus worse attack than Pearl Harbor and 9/11

UNTV News   •   May 7, 2020

U.S. President Donald Trump described coronavirus as an attack worse than Pearl Harbor and World Trade Center on Wednesday (May 6), as the death toll rose to 73,792 making it the worst-affect country in the world.

During the event held at the White House, Trump also blamed China for not containing the virus at its early stage.

“There’s never been an attack like this and I should have never happened. Could have been stopped at the source, could have been stopped in China,” he added.

Domestic critics of President Donald Trump, who is seeking reelection in November, have said that while China has much to answer for in terms of its actions in the early days of the outbreak, the U.S. administration is seeking to deflect attention from what they see as a slow U.S. response.

The coronavirus has infected 1,237,347 people in the United States. (Reuters)

(Production: Gabriela Boccaccio)

Trump says coronavirus task force will wind down as focus shifts to reopening

UNTV News   •   May 6, 2020

U.S. President Donald Trump said on Tuesday (May 5) the White House coronavirus task force would wind down as the country moves into a second phase of dealing with the aftermath of the outbreak.

“Mike Pence and the task force have done a great job,” Trump said during a visit to a mask factory in Arizona. “But we’re now looking at a little bit of a different form and that form is safety and opening and we’ll have a different group probably set up for that.”

Asked if he was proclaiming “Mission Accomplished” in the fight against coronavirus, Trump said, “No, not at all. The mission accomplished is when it’s over.”

Trump said Anthony Fauci and Deborah Birx, doctors who assumed a high profile during weeks of nationally televised news briefings, would remain advisers after the group is dismantled. Fauci leads the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and Birx was response coordinator for the force.

“We can’t keep our country closed for the next five years,” Trump said, when asked why it was time to wind down the task force.

At least 70,000 people in the United States have died from COVID-19, the respiratory illness it causes. The U.S. death toll is the highest in the world.

Trump placed Vice President Mike Pence in charge of the task force, which has been meeting almost every day since it was formed in March.

Most experts have suggested clinical trials to guarantee a vaccine is safe and effective could take a minimum of 12 to 18 months.

The White House task force has been less visible in recent days as Trump turned his attention to efforts to reopen the U.S. economy. It did not meet on Monday or Saturday.

Trump made the comments during a visit to the Honeywell International Inc aerospace facility in Phoenix, a factory that is now making protective face masks.

Before touring the factory, he met with Native American tribal leaders and signed a proclamation “officially recognizing the grave issue of missing and murdered American Indians and Alaska Natives.” (Reuters)

(Production: Katharine Jackson)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.