Imelda Marcos to appeal Sandiganbayan’s guilty verdict to SC

Marje Pelayo   •   November 27, 2018   •   2549

FILE PHOTO: Imelda Marcos

MANILA, Philippines – Former first lady now Ilocos Norte Rep. Imelda Marcos is determined to bring Sandiganbayan’s guilty verdict to the Supreme Court (SC).

Marcos said they have already advised Sandiganbayan Fifth Division of her plan and have request the anti-graft court to send her records to the SC.

In November 9, the Sandiganbayan sentenced Marcos of up to 13 years in jail for each count of graft but she was set free after the anti-graft court allowed her bail amounting to P150,000. – UNTV News and Rescue

Malacañang said it will respect SC ruling on Marcos electoral protest

Marje Pelayo   •   October 15, 2019

(L-R) Vice President Leni Robredo and former senator Bongbong Marcos

MANILA, Philippines – Malacañang said it will abide by whatever the decision of the Supreme Court (SC) regarding the electoral protest filed by former Senator Bongbong Marcos against Vice President Leni Robredo.

“Whatever the decision of the court, we should abide by it,” noted Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo.

In 2016, Marcos accused Robredo of “massive cheating” in the 2016 elections.

He lost to Robredo by some 260,000 votes, but Robredo’s camp said her lead over Marcos grew by 15,000 votes after the initial recount.

On Tuesday (October 14), the PET ordered the release of a report on the initial recount of votes.

“Hayaan ninyo na sila (Let them be). We’ll just wait and let the parties argue their case in court and PET will have to render its decision,” he added. – MNP (with reports from Rosalie Coz)

Sandiganbayan dismisses P1-B civil case vs Marcoses

Aileen Cerrudo   •   October 8, 2019

Philippines First Lady and current congresswoman Imelda Marcos (2-L) when she visited the tomb of former strongman Ferdinand Marcos to mark National Heroes Day at the ‘Libingan ng mga Bayani’ (Cemetery of Heroes) in Taguig City, south of Manila, Philippines, 28 August 2017. EPA-EFE/FRANCIS R. MALASIG

The second division of the Sandiganbayan has dismissed the civil case filed by the Presidential Commission on Good Government (PCGG) against former President Ferdinand Marcos and wife Imelda Marcos for insufficient evidence over P1 billion worth of alleged ill-gotten wealth.

Based on the decision of the anti-graft court, the PCGG failed to present strong evidence against the Marcoses.

“The plaintiff Republic failed to prove by preponderance of evidence that the defendants by themselves, or in conspiracy with defendants Marcoses, obtained ill-gotten wealth,” the decision reads.

“Lastly, the court also finds that the defendants failed to prove their respective counterclaims alluding to alleged damages sustained.”

According to the Malacañang, the PCGG can still submit an appeal in the Supreme Court.

Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said the Marcoses should still be accountable if there is proof of ill-gotten wealth.

“Kung ill-gotten, we should always run after, basta ill-gotten (If it is ill-gotten we should always run after, as long as it is ill-gotten). It should be the policy of all governments to run after ill-gotten wealth,” he said.

The Sandiganbayan previously dismissed the P102 billion worth of forfeiture case against the Marcoses and other respondents last August.—AAC (with reports from Rosalie Coz)

Malacañang keeps distance from SC decision lifting TRO on Mamasapano trial

Maris Federez   •   August 7, 2019

The Office of the President has distanced itself from the Supreme Court (SC) decision that lifted the temporary restraining order (TRO) on the hearing of the case against former president Benigno Aquino III on the Mamasapano encounter.

Read: SC lifts TRO on Mamasapano trial at Sandiganbayan

Presidential spokesperson Salvador Panelo has refused to further comment on the issue as the palace would not want to be accused of meddling with the decision of the judiciary which is a co-equal branch of government.

“[W]e refuse to comment on the action undertaken by the Supreme Court, which belongs to a separate and independent branch of government from ours. We cannot and we do not intend to interfere with the functions of other branches which are distinct from the Executive,” Panelo said.

The palace, he added, would rather see the judicial process roll on its own accord.

“We will, as usual, let the law take its course,” Panelo said. (with details from Rosalie Coz) /mbmf

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+63) 396-8688 (Tel)

(+63) 2 920.8336 (Fax)

info@untvweb.com (General inquiries)

support@untvweb.com

UNTV News and Rescue Emergency Hotlines:

LANDLINE (+63) 396-8688

ADVERTISE WITH US

(+63) 2 442.6244 Loc. 143, 144, 162, 164

advertising@untvweb.com

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.