IBP, ikinokunsidera ang paghahain ng contempt charges vs. PNoy

admin   •   July 24, 2014   •   1950

President Benigno Aquino III (Photo by Gil Nartea / Malacañang Photo Bureau)

MANILA, Philippines — Magpupulong ngayong araw ng Huwebes ang Board of Governors ng Integrated Bar of the Philippines (IBP) upang pag-usapan ang posibleng paghahain ng mosyon upang ma-cite for contempt si Pangulong Benigno Aquino III.

Ayon kay IBP President Attorney Vicente Joyas, contemptous ang pagbatikos ni Pangulong Aquino sa Korte Suprema dahil sa isyu ng Disbursement Acceleration Program (DAP).

Ang konsiderasyon lamang ng IBP ay maaaring saklaw ng immunity ang pagsasalita nito ng laban sa Korte Suprema.

“Nagkataon lang na Presidente si PNoy, kung hindi it can be the subject of a contemptuous proceedings. That is indirect contempt.”

Samantala, naniniwala naman ang Integrated Bar of the Philippines na may sapat na basehan upang ma-impeach si Pangulong Aquino dahil sa ilegal na paggastos ng pondo sa ilalim ng DAP.

Ngunit sa ngayon ay hindi nila ikinokunsidera ang paghahain ng impeachment complaint laban sa pangulo at ipauubaya na lamang nila ito sa ibang sektor.

“As far as the political affiliation is concerned, we do not expect that the impeachment proceedings will prosper,” saad pa ng abogado.

Dagdag nito, magbabantay na lamang ang IBP sa proseso at handa silang magbigay ng tulong kung kakailanganin. (Roderic Mendoza / Ruth Navales, UNTV News)

CJ Peralta hopes verdict on Maguindanao massacre will be issued before year-end

Maris Federez   •   November 8, 2019

FILE PHOTO: Journalism students of Bulacan State University light candles in commemoration of the 4th anniversary of the Maguindanao Massacre in front of Bulacan Capitol, Malolos City, Bulacan. Photo taken November 21, 2013. | PVI/Junnel Aquino

The Supreme Court (SC) has allowed Quezon City Regional Trial Court Judge Jocelyn Solis-Reyes a 30-day extension in issuing her verdict on the Maguindanao Massacre case.

The case has already been submitted for resolution on August 22 and the court was supposed to come up with a verdict within 90 days or until the third week of November but Judge Reyes requested an extension.

CJ Peralta said they understand Reyes’ predicament due to the voluminous records and evidence that she had to consider which prompted the Supreme Court to approve her request for a one-month extension.

“We also allow meritorious motion for extension and we understand her predicament,” said Peralta.

The chief magistrate, however, expressed hope that Judge Reyes will no longer ask for another extension in issuing her verdict on the case.

“I hope that she will no longer ask for another extension so that before the end of the year those cases will finally be decided,” he said.

According to the memorandum that the SC sent to Reyes, she has until December 30 to arrive at a decision and it is already non-extendible.

On November 23, 2009, armed men ambushed 58 individuals, including 32 members of the media, in the town of Ampatuan, Maguindanao.

Among the slain was the wife of former Buluan Vice Mayor Esmael “Toto” Mangudadatu who was supposed to file his certificate of candidacy for Maguindanao gubernatorial election, opposing the Ampatuan clan.

The Maguindanao Massacre is considered the world’s worst election-related incident of violence and the deadliest attack against the members of the media. (from the report of Nel Maribojoc) /mbmf

CJ Peralta ensures swift action on alleged narco judges

Maris Federez   •   November 8, 2019

Supreme Court Chief Justice Diosdado Peralto

Supreme Court Chief Justice Diosdado Peralto on Friday gave his assurance that his office will conduct swift action against the alleged narco judges.

Based on the narco list or the roll of personalities involved in illegal drugs in the possession of the president, included in the record are 13 judges and 10 are prosecutors.

Peralta said several recommendations related to this had been filed before the Supreme Court and they will issue their decision in the nearest possible time.

“There are also recommendations submitted to the court en banc in due time we will coming up with some with resolutions on these alleged narco judges,” Peralta said. (with details from Nel Maribojoc) /mbmf

CJ Peralta proposes to Congress: install marshals in Phl courts

Maris Federez   •   November 8, 2019

The Supreme Court is set to urge Congress to file a law that will create a position of marshals in the judiciary amidst the growing number of judges getting slain in the country.

A recent addition to that record is the gunning down of Regional Trial Court Judge Mario Anacleto Bañez in La Union on Tuesday (November 5).

Aside from ensuring security in courthouses, the marshals will be given investigative power like that of the National Bureau of Investigation.

Chief Justice Diosdado Peralta said they will have the same functions as that of the marshals in the United States.

“Our marshal can do the work, in other words, they can investigate, they can summon witnesses to appear in an investigation. Likewise, ask the different agencies to help us,” said CJ Peralta. (with details from Nel Maribojoc) /mbmf

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

(+632) 8920.8336 (Fax)

info@untvweb.com (General inquiries)

support@untvweb.com

UNTV News and Rescue Emergency Hotlines:

LANDLINE (+632) 8396-8688

ADVERTISE WITH US

(+632) 8 442.6244 Loc. 143, 144, 162, 164

advertising@untvweb.com

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.