MANILA, Philippines — The public no longer needs to wear face shields in outdoor settings except for places with many people like public markets and public transportation, Malacañang said Monday.
Presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-MEID) only appealed for the mandatory wearing of face shields in indoor places such as malls and other commercial establishments.
“Sa mga nagtatanong kung kailangan pa ba ang face shield, ang malinaw po ganito, hindi na kinakailangan ng face shield sa labas kasi hindi naman inapela ‘yan ng IATF,” Roque said in a Palace briefing.
“Ang inapela lang ng IATF ay ‘yung pagsuot ng face shields sa loob kasama na sa mga malls at iba pang commercial establishments at sa mga pampublikong transportasyon,” he added.
Roque said the policy on the use of face shields will be discussed in the weekly “Talk to the People” address of President Rodrigo Duterte on Monday night.
“Mamayang gabi ay magkakaroon ng Talk to the People address kung saan ang polisiya sa face shield ang isa sa mga pag-uusapan,” he said.
Roque last week said that the IATF has recommended to the president to continue requiring the use of face shields in indoor or enclosed spaces like hospitals, schools, workplaces, commercial establishments (such as but not limited to food establishments, malls, and public markets), public transport and terminals, and places of worship.
The task force made the recommendation after Duterte remarked about the use of face shields only in hospitals during his conversation with some senators.
Pending Duterte’s decision on the matter, the Palace said the face shield policy will remain in effect.