House Speaker orders airline firms to transfer domestic and international flights to Clark Airport
admin • February 14, 2018 • 7553
FILE PHOTO: Some of the airplanes at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (UNTV News)
MANILA, Philippines — House Speaker Pantaleon Alvarez has given airline companies 45 days to transfer some of their flights to the Clark International Airport in Pampanga.
This is the solution the lawmaker sees to address the congestion at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA).
The passenger capacity of the terminals one and three of NAIA is at 19 million. However, the number of actual passenger traffic of said terminals reaches up to 20 million a year.
While the terminals two and four have a passenger capacity of 12 million.
But 20 million passengers arrive at the said terminals yearly.
Alvarez warned airline companies that would refuse to transfer some of their flights to Clark.
“Yung mga ayaw sumunod sa rules ng gobyerno, we can always cancel your respective franchises and we are nor joking,” said Alvarez.
(Those who refuse to follow the rules of the government, we can always cancel your respective franchises and we are not joking.)
On the other hand, Cebu Pacific President Lance Gokongwei asked the lawmaker to give them ample time to comply with the order.
“Given the way how we sell tickets one way in advance and the time requires to move all our people, and prepare all ground preparations I think this kind of drastic steps will ay take over a year of planning,” said the Cebu Pacific president.
Airport passengers, meanwhile, have mixed reactions.
“Ay hindi kasi malayo na dun, mahirap na dun,” said Angelo Seraspe, a NAIA passenger.
(I’m not in favor. It’s too far.)
“Ako kasi from Laguna lang. Siguro hassle din mas mabuti pa rin dito na lang sa Metro Manila yung airport,” said passenger Kaye Pagarian.
(I’m from Laguna. It’s a hassle when some flights are transferred there. I would prefer the airport here in Metro Manila.)
“Okay naman kasi kapag duon maluwag,may bus namang masasakyan doon,” said Ferdinand Loria, a passenger.
(It’s okay with me. It’s not congested there. There are buses available.)
The House speaker also reprimanded Cebu Pacific for allowing its passengers to walk on the tarmac.
“In so many instances in all airports kahit may tube hindi niyo ginagamit. Kawawa ang pasahero dala dala ang anak basang basa yung bata,” said Alvarez.
(In so many instances in all airports, although there is a tube, you are not using it. The passengers are pitiful, with their children tagging along getting drenched. )
“The only situations where we do not use are when the tube is not available for use,” said Gokongwei.
Meanwhile, the House Committee on Transportation is now looking into separating the terminals for domestic and international flights, noting the Philippines is the only country doing it. — Grace Casin | UNTV News & Rescue
MANILA, Philippines – Three people suspected of being victims of human trafficking and illegal recruitment have been intercepted at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA), the Bureau of Immigration (BI) said on Monday.
In a report to Immigration Commissioner Jaime Morente, BI port operations division acting chief Grifton Medina said the passengers were stopped last week before they could board their flights to the Middle East and Europe.
Medina said one of the victims was bound for Dubai while the two others were destined for Greece, all of them showing intentions to work illegally as undocumented workers.
According to BI’s Travel Control and Enforcement Unit (TCEU), the Dubai-bound passenger was intercepted last 25 July 2020 after the immigration officer noticed that the Overseas Employment Certificate (OEC) was not cleared and validated by the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration – Labor Assistance Center (POEA-LAC) desk at the NAIA.
Verification with the POEA-LAC later revealed that the said OEC was tampered as it was issued to someone else and not to the said passenger.
The victim then admitted that her trip was processed by her handlers and that her documents were only given to her when she arrived at the airport.
The BI-TCEU also reported that the two Greece-bound passengers who were intercepted last Saturday, August 2, likewise presented fraudulent travel documents, including fake OECs and local employment certificates.
The bureau said that upon interview, they confessed that their documents were only handed to them at the airport. They also said they were recruited to work in Athens by their handlers to whom they each paid P95,000 in return for facilitating their trip and processing their documents.
“Thanks to the vigilance of our primary inspectors for foiling these attempts by human trafficking syndicates to sneak their victims out of the country,” Medina said.
The victims were turned over to the Inter-Agency Council Against Trafficking (IACAT) for investigation, according to the bureau.
MANILA, Philippines — The Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) Terminal 3 confirms its readiness for the resumption of international flights on Wednesday (July 8).
The resumption of international flight operations, however, will still be at limited capacity in compliance with the directive of the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-MEID) on the allowable number of passenger arrivals.
The IATF-MEID directive said the total number of arriving passengers on international flights must not go beyond 2,400 per day.
Half of this number is allotted to repatriated Filipinos, while the rest are for passengers from commercial flights.
Airport authorities said operations at Terminal 1 are once again transferred to Terminal 3 as the volume of passengers in international commercial flights continues to increase due to the easing of travel restrictions of other countries.
As part of the preparations, Manila International Airport (MIAA) General Manager Ed Monreal personally inspected the terminal 3 to check if the additional chairs to be placed near the check in counters at the departure area are complete.
Health and safety protocols, such as wearing of face masks and physical distancing inside the airport are still strictly implemented. —(from the report of Asher Cadapan, Jr.) /mbmf
MANILA, Philippines — The Bureau of Custom (BOC) announced that its personnel at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) has intercepted a total of 775.6 kilograms of meat and meat products without Sanitary & Phytosanitary clearances from January to June 2020.
In a statement released on Saturday (July 4), the BOC said the meat and meat products that they have confiscated include 268.2 kilograms of pork, 106.4 kilograms of beef, 298.2 kilograms of poultry, and 102 kilograms of other kinds of meat.
The BOC added these products arrived without permits and health clearance, and were brought in through NAIA from African Swine Fever (ASF) infected countries.
“All the items were turned over to the Bureau of Animal Industry (BAI) for quarantine and immediate disposal to prevent the spread of the virus dangerous to local health and to the food industry,” the press release read.
It added that, with the emergence of a new strain of swine flu virus, the frontliners of the BOC-NAIA who man the passenger area and air cargo warehouses are on high alert against the possible entry of contaminated meat products.
“Customs NAIA has been consistent in protecting our local industry from any possible swine and agricultural epidemic and supports the directive of Commissioner Rey Leonardo B. Guerrero to continuously monitor and safeguard the country’s borders,” the statement concluded. —/mbmf
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.