Holiday visitors leave truckloads of trash at Luneta Park
Robie de Guzman • December 25, 2019 • 1217
MANILA, Philippines – Around eight truckloads of trash were collected at Rizal (Luneta) Park on Wednesday after thousands of individuals visited the facility to bond with family and friends during the holiday season.
The National Parks Development Committee estimated that at least 65,000 people trooped to Rizal Park on December 24.
Authorities said most of the trash collected were single-use plastics, bottles, boxes and left over food that were thrown on the park grounds despite the garbage bins placed around the facility.
Earlier in the day, street sweepers were seen cleaning the park grounds.
The park development committee noted the reduced number of visitors on December 25 due to the inclement weather.
However, they expect this to increase in the coming hours due to a free concert to be held in the open air auditorium on Wednesday night. –RRD (from the report of Asher Cadapan Jr.)
MANILA, Philippines – The Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) is eyeing zero firecracker-related injuries during this holiday season.
In a statement, DILG spokesperson, Undersecretary Jonathan Malaya said that no firecracker-related injuries have been reported so far, but he urged the public to prioritize safety amid the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic.
“It is the tradition of Filipinos to usher in the New Year with fireworks as families indulge in their media noche [New Year’s Eve feast]. However, the pandemic and the new normal entails adjustments to ensure everyone is safe at home together,” Malaya said.
“Disiplina muna para ligtas ang pamilya, ligtas ang bayan. Ito po ang ating regalo’t ambag para iwas peligro at mapayapang pagsalubong ng bagong taon,” he added.
Malaya said the department is optimistic it will reach its goal this year, citing the drop in cases of zero firecracker-related injury in the previous years.
Based on data provided by the Philippine National Police (PNP), 307 firecracker-related incidents nationwide were recorded in January 2019 which is 67 percent lower than the 929 recorded incidents in 2016.
In 2018, there were 449 incidents while in 2017, there were 652.
“There has been a steady decline for the past three years and we can sustain that trend if we remain persistent with our efforts to implement laws and regulations on the use of firecrackers such as Republic Act 7183 and Executive Order No. 28,” Malaya said.
The DILG has issued Memorandum Circular 2017-105, implementing Executive Order 28 which enjoins the local government units, the PNP, and the Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) to take necessary actions on the regulation and control of the use of firecrackers and other pyrotechnic devices nationwide.
Under its provisions, the PNP is also tasked to beef up its force to provide security in identified firecrackers and pyrotechnic zones and firecracker/pyrotechnic displays in respective areas in coordination with appropriate agencies and stakeholders.
Police units are also expected to conduct inspections of the manufacturing complex, warehouse, and processing area of manufacturers and dealers in their respective areas of responsibility to ensure the observance of safety guidelines.
“The PNP is authorized to immediately confiscate illegal firecrackers and make arrests when necessary so the industry is advised to just follow the law,” Malaya said.
Among the prohibited fireworks are piccolo, watusi, giant whistle bomb, giant bawang, large judas belt, super lolo, lolo thunder, atomic bomb, atomic bomb triangulo, pillbox, boga, kwiton, goodbye earth, goodbye bading, hello columbia, and goodbye philippines.
in line with this, the DILG said it has directed the BFP to intensify its Oplan Paalala/Iwas Paputok Campaign with the battlecry “Sa Halip na Paputok, Pito!” which encourages the public to use the whistle during the New Year revelry instead of firecrackers.
The DILG also urges the BFP to be strict in issuing fire safety clearance for fireworks display and fireworks exhibition to ensure that there will be no untoward incidents during such exhibitions.
MANILA, Philippines — The city government of Valenzuela reminds its employees of the existing “no gift” policy in all government agencies in the country especially during the holidays.
In a series of tweets, the city government stressed that employees of the city hall “shall not solicit, receive or accept, directly and indirectly, any gift or favor from any individual or group they serve or transact with in relation to their official duties.”
The policy aims to maintain the practice of good governance and to show commitment to selfless delivery of public service, the city government said.
“We appreciate your continuing support and for observing this policy. Thank you for helping us do the right thing!” the advisory said.
The city government encourages its residents to report violations of the ‘no gift’ policy or any unethical behavior observed within the City Hall to call the Human Resources Management Office at 8352-1000.
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.