Emergency Hotlines: LANDLINE (+63) 2 911 – 8688

Hamilton’s F1 car sent to house of terminally ill boy who inspired Spanish victory

by Marje Pelayo   |   Posted on Wednesday, May 15th, 2019

Courtesy : (giantpledge.com/ harrysgiantpledge/twitter@harryspledge5/instagram@harryspledge5) Reuters

ENGLAND, The United Kingdom – A Formula One car was sent to the home of a five-year-old boy with a rare form of terminal cancer on Monday (May 13).

Harry Shaw, who was given one week to live in April, is described by his father James Shaw as being a lover of cars and a huge fan of Lewis Hamilton.

Harry sent Hamilton a good luck message on Instagram ahead of the Spanish Grand Prix, which was reposted by Hamilton on his page alongside a message that said that Harry was his inspiration in the race.

Hamilton went on to win the race on Sunday, and dedicated the win to Harry, describing him as his “spirit angel”.

The Shaw family have set up a charity page to raise money for research into the disease and have so far raised more than £106,000.

“We desperately need to raise more money for research into children’s cancer. I think currently less than two percent of money raised goes to children’s cancer, and we need to give people like Harry a better chance,” said Harry’s father James.

“Many people have asked us who Harry is, having seen him on lots of social media and on the news all around the world. Harry is a tough, tough and really inspirational boy. I think you saw that in the video that he sent to Lewis Hamilton. It inspired Lewis Hamilton to win a Grand Prix. But, over my shoulder you can see Harry, Harry with hair and we did have, a long time ago now, but life without cancer with Harry. Harry’s a fit active boy, he played rugby, he never cried. Harry’s the sort of boy that if he fell over, he’d get up, he wouldn’t cry and he’d crack on. He’s a fighter and he never gave up, and the fact that he never gives up is why he’s still alive now. We’re so proud of our little boy and we’re so grateful for all the support,” he concluded. (REUTERS)

Tags: , , ,

Filipino auto repair shop makes name for itself in the UK

by Marje Pelayo   |   Posted on Thursday, May 17th, 2018

 

Former aircraft mechanic Joselito “King” Dela Cruz

 

SURREY, England —  A car repair shop owned by a Filipino is gaining popularity in England, United Kingdom.

“Pinoy Motor Works” is owned by a former aircraft mechanic Joselito “King” Dela Cruz. It is located in the suburb of Addlestone in Surrey, England. The shop has become a favorite choice among Filipinos and British nationals for its high-quality auto services at cheaper prices.

“Itong talyer na ito ay one-stop-shop. Kahit anong ipagawa mo, gagawin ko. Mura ang full service, MOT at tire servicing. Ang diagnostic ang charge nila from £60 to £125, ako free,” said King.

(This is a one-stop-shop. I accept all kinds of auto works. Rates are cheap for full service, MOT and tire servicing. Others charge £60 to £125 for diagnostic services —  I do it for free.)

King’s proudly Filipino car repair shop

King said establishing his business was not easy. He admitted to struggling in the first months

but with the help of family and friends, his shop is now gaining patrons.

“Masyado siyang die hard. Andito na lahat ng passion niya sa paggawa ng sasakyan noong araw pa (Tinkering with cars has always been his passion ever since),” said his wife, Recel Dela Cruz.

He has now earned the respect and trust of Filipino customers and even of local patrons.

“It’s picked up a lot in the last three or four months because of his quality of work and punctuality of delivery and it has been a friendly, acceptable environment. I would recommend Joselito at Pinoy Motors,” said client Peter Carver from Addlestone, Surrey England

Though King pays £3,000 or equivalent to P200,000 monthly in lease, aside from taxes, he still offers his customers lower service fees. Sometimes, he would still fix other people’s cars even if they can’t pay for his services.

“The thing is, I did not have money today. I’ve left my card at home and he is willing to do it free of charge. So amazing,” said Umanga Caldera from Feltham, London.

Pinoy motor works is open from Monday to Friday. It has a lot of good reviews on Facebook. —  Jovic Bermas / Marje Pelayo

 

Tags: , , ,

Suicide bomber kills at least 22, including children, at Ariana Grande concert in Britain

by UNTV News   |   Posted on Tuesday, May 23rd, 2017

 

An ambulance drives away from the Manchester Arena, where U.S. singer Ariana Grande had been performing, in Manchester, northern England, Britain, May 23, 2017. REUTERS/Andrew Yates

At least 22 people, including some children, were killed and 59 were wounded when a suicide bomber struck as thousands of fans streamed out of a concert by U.S. singer Ariana Grande in the English city of Manchester on Monday.

Prime Minister Theresa May called an emergency meeting with intelligence chiefs on the deadliest militant assault in Britain since four British Muslims killed 52 people in suicide bombings on London’s transport system in July 2005.

Witnesses related the horror of the blast which prompted a stampede just as the concert ended at Europe’s largest indoor arena.

“We ran and people were screaming around us and pushing on the stairs to go outside and people were falling down, girls were crying, and we saw these women being treated by paramedics having open wounds on their legs … it was just chaos,” said Sebastian Diaz, 19.

“It was literally just a minute after it ended, the lights came on and the bomb went off,” Diaz said.

U.S. President Donald Trump described the attack as the work of “evil losers”. German Chancellor Angela Merkel said it “will only strengthen our resolve to…work together with our British friends against those who plan and carry out such inhumane deeds.”

Police said the attacker detonated the explosives shortly after 10:33 pm at Manchester Arena, which has the capacity to hold 21,000 people. Children were among the dead, police said.

“We believe, at this stage, the attack last night was conducted by one man,” Manchester Chief Constable Ian Hopkins told reporters. “The priority is to establish whether he was acting alone or as part of a network.

He declined to answer questions on the bomber’s identity.

London Mayor Sadiq Khan said more police had been ordered onto the streets of the British capital. London’s Victoria coach station was briefly closed after discovery of a suspect package.

A source with knowledge of the situation said the bomber’s explosives were packed with metal and bolts. At least 19 of those wounded were in a critical condition, the source said.

A video posted on Twitter showed fans, many of them young, screaming and running from the venue. Dozens of parents frantically searched for their children, posting photos and pleading for information on social media.

“We were making our way out and when we were right by the door there was a massive explosion and everybody was screaming,” concert-goer Catherine Macfarlane told Reuters.

“It was a huge explosion – you could feel it in your chest.”

Ariana Grande, 23, whose concerts attract a very large proportion of young women and girls, said on Twitter: “broken. from the bottom of my heart, i am so so sorry. i don’t have words.” May, who faces an election in two-and-a-half weeks, said her thoughts were with the victims and their families. She and Jeremy Corbyn, the leader of the opposition Labour Party, agreed to suspend campaigning ahead of the June 8 election.

“We are working to establish the full details of what is being treated by the police as an appalling terrorist attack,” May said in a statement.

SUICIDE BOMBER?

There was no immediate claim of responsibility, but U.S. officials drew parallels to the coordinated attacks in November 2015 by Islamist militants on the Bataclan concert hall and other sites in Paris, which claimed about 130 lives.

High profile attacks, including in Paris, Nice, Brussels, St Petersburg, Berlin and London, have shocked Europeans who are already anxious over security challenges from mass immigration, open borders and pockets of Islamist radicalism.

“It clearly bears the hallmark of Daesh (Islamic State),” said former French intelligence agent Claude Moniquet, now a Brussels-based security consultant, “because Ariana Grande is a young singer who attracts a very young audience, teenagers.

“So very clearly the aim was to do as much harm as possible, to shock British society as much as possible.”

Islamic State supporters took to social media to celebrate the blast and some encouraged similar attacks elsewhere. [L8N1IP096]

Britain is on its second-highest alert level of “severe”, meaning an attack by militants is considered highly likely.

British counter-terrorism police have said they are making on average an arrest every day in connection with suspected terrorism.

In March, a British-born convert to Islam ploughed a car into pedestrians on London’s Westminster Bridge, killing four people before stabbing to death a police officer who was on the grounds of parliament. The man was shot dead at the scene.

In 2015, Pakistani student Abid Naseer was convicted in a U.S. court of conspiring with al Qaeda to blow up the Arndale shopping center in the center of Manchester in April 2009.

PARENTS’ ANGUISH

Desperate parents and friends used social media to search for loved ones who attended Monday’s concert while the wounded were being treated at six hospitals across Manchester.

“Everyone pls share this, my little sister Emma was at the Ari concert tonight in #Manchester and she isn’t answering her phone, pls help me,” said one message posted alongside a picture of a blonde girl with flowers in her hair.

Paula Robinson, 48, from West Dalton about 40 miles east of Manchester, said she was at the train station next to the arena with her husband when she felt the explosion and saw dozens of teenage girls screaming and running away from arena.

“We ran out,” Robinson told Reuters. “It was literally seconds after the explosion. I got the teens to run with me.”

Robinson took dozens of teenage girls to the nearby Holiday Inn Express hotel and tweeted out her phone number to worried parents, telling them to meet her there. She said her phone had not stopped ringing since her tweet.

“Parents were frantic running about trying to get to their children,” she said. “There were lots of lots children at Holiday Inn.” — By Michael Holden and Andrew Yates | MANCHESTER, ENGLAND

For a graphic showing where the blast hit, click: tmsnrt.rs/2rbQAay

(Additional Reporting by Alistair Smout, Kate Holton, David Milliken, Elizabeth Piper, Paul Sandle and Costas Pitas in LONDON, Mark Hosenball in LOS ANGELES, John Walcott in WASHINGTON, D.C., Leela de Kretser in NEW YORK, Mostafa Hashem in CAIRO, and Ben Blanchard in BEIJING; Writing by Guy Faulconbridge and Nick Tattersall; Editing by Ralph Boulton)

Tags: , , , , , ,

Less than recommended physical activity may still lengthen life

by admin   |   Posted on Tuesday, April 7th, 2015

A woman runs through Victoria Park at sunrise in Leicester, central England, December 30, 2014.
REUTERS/DARREN STAPLES

(Reuters Health) – Staying active, even only slightly, confers major longevity benefits, researchers say.

During many years of follow-up, people who did less than the minimum recommended amount of physical activity still had a considerable decrease in risk of death compared to people who did no activity at all, in a new analysis of six studies.

“Our findings support the 2008 Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans, which recommend a minimum of 150 minutes of moderate-intensity or 75 minutes of vigorous-intensity activity per week for “substantial” health benefit, and suggest “additional” benefit with more than double the exercise minimum,” said lead author Hannah Arem of the National Cancer Institute in Bethesda, Maryland.

Researchers pooled data on more than 660,000 men and women in the U.S. and Europe from previous studies. Half the studies had tracked participants for more than 14 years. Overall, 116,686 deaths were recorded.

Based on self-reports of physical activity, people who did less than the recommended minimum of activity were still 20 percent less likely to die during the studies than people who were not active at all.

Mortality risk was 31 percent lower for people who did one to two times the recommended minimum, and 37 percent lower for those who did two to three times the recommended minimum activity.

Mortality risk seemed to level off at three to five times the recommended minimum amount of exercise, which is equivalent to a weekly minimum of walking 7 hours or running 2 hours 15 minutes, Arem told Reuters Health by email.

But there was no evidence that doing even 10 times the minimum recommended amount would do any harm, the authors write in JAMA Internal Medicine. The results were similar whether the research team analyzed deaths from any cause, or deaths specifically from cardiovascular disease or cancer.

“While we adjusted for known mortality risk factors like body mass index and smoking, we were not able to adjust for diet in this study as we did not have information available in all cohorts,” she said. “However, in previous analyses in these cohorts where information on diet was available, the associations between physical activity and mortality persisted even after they were adjusted for diet.”

The new results largely reinforce existing guidelines, which already state that some activity is better than no activity, according to Todd M. Manini of the University of Florida in Gainesville.

Manini wrote an editorial accompanying the new findings.

“Getting just a little bit above doing nothing, there was a 20 percent reduction in mortality,” he told Reuters Health by phone. “That was the biggest shift going from one category to another.”

Just one hour of brisk walking or 30 minutes of jogging or biking per week is enough to move into that first category and out of the “inactive” group, he noted. Doing more than the recommended amount didn’t seem to decrease mortality risk much further, but may have many other health benefits beyond just decreasing the risk of death, Manini said.

Volume of activity, rather than intensity, drove longevity benefit in the new findings, Arem said.

A study of middle-aged and older Australians published in the same issue of JAMA Internal Medicine found that vigorous activity was more strongly linked to a decreased risk of death than moderate intensity activity.

“Future research is needed to determine whether associations between physical activity and mortality differ by specific activities,” Arem said.

SOURCE: bit.ly/IZGqPC JAMA Internal Medicine, online April 6, 2015.

Tags: , , , , ,