Halos P12 bilyong halaga ng imprakstraktura at agrikultura, nasira dahil sa mga kalamidad sa Western Visayas
admin • July 29, 2013 • 4946
FILE PHOTO: Ang labi ng dinaanan ng buhawi noong hapon ng June 18, 2013 sa bayan ng Minglanilla sa Cebu. (JAMES VERCIDE / Photoville International)
ILOILO CITY, Philippines — Tinutukan ng Regional Disaster Risk Reduction & Management Summit ang implementasyon ng mga proyekto ng gobyerno sa Western Visayas.
Ito’y matapos umabot sa halos 12-bilyong piso ang halaga ng mga nasirang imprastraktura at agrikultura dahil sa mga tumamang kalamidad sa rehiyon simula noong 2008 hanggang 2012.
Ayon kay Director Rosario Cabrera ng Office of Civil Defense Region 6, umabot sa P7,049,719,000 ang nagamit sa pagsasaayos ng mga nasirang imprastraktura sa Western Visayas, samantalang pumalo naman sa 4,894,816,149 ang halaga ng pinsala sa agrikultura sa rehiyon sa loob ng nakalipas na 5 taon.
Dagdag pa ni Cabrera, umabot sa 3,343,658 indibidwal ang naapektuhan ng mga kalamidad sa nasabing time frame.
Dahil dito, naglabas ng mungkahi ang National Economic and Development Authority (NEDA) Region 6 para sa mga local chief executive sa rehiyon na magpatupad ng mga proyektong makakatagal sa mga kalamidad.
Sinabi naman ni NEDA Region 6 Director Ro-Ann Bacal na magiging mabusisi sila sa pagsusuri ng mga proyektong ipatutupad sa Western Visayas.
“We really need to be proactive. We really need to implement our infrastructure projects well so that they are not easily destroyed,” ani Bacal.(Vincent Arboleda / Ruth Navales, UNTV News)
Despite a decline in the Philippine’s gross domestic product (GDP) during the first quarter, the National Economic Development Authority (NEDA) is optimistic the country can recover from the effects of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic.
NEDA reported a 0.2 percent decline in the country’s GDP in the first quarter of 2020, compared to the 5.7 percent growth during the same period last year.
NEDA Acting Secretary Karl Chua said the implementation of the General Community Quarantine (GCQ) of several areas in the country opens the opportunity to mitigate the impact of the COVID-19 crisis.
“Marami nang probinsya ang inilagay sa GCQ. Ibig sabihin, pwede na sa trabaho ang 75% of workers. So ito po ay inaasahan natin na makatulong sa pagbalik sigla ng ekonomiya, (There are now a lot of provinces under GCQ. It means 75% of workers can return to work. So we are expecting this can help in the economy’s recovery),” he said.
Chua reported there is a slow growth in all major sectors of the economy after a few businesses were only allowed to operate under the ECQ.
“Growth in the Services sector significantly moderated to 1.4 percent. Industry sector growth also declined by 3.0 percent, with the drop in manufacturing and construction and the sustained decline in mining and quarrying,” he said.
However, despite this, the country still enjoys a low and stable inflation and is still in a good position to recover strongly because of our country’s solid macroeconomic and fiscal management.
Chua said they are already coordinating with Congress to come up with an economy recovery program for industries and business affected by the health crisis.
“The program will include highly targeted tax incentives that are time-bound, transparent, and performance-based to help us attract the right types of investments and help firms recover,” he said. AAC (with reports from Dante Amento)
MANILA, Philippines – The National Economic and Development Authority (NEDA) expects to complete the data on the overall impact of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic on the Philippine economy by end of April.
According to NEDA Acting Secretary Karl Kendrick Chua, such data is necessary in crafting a comprehensive recovery plan to bounce back from the crisis.
Aside from the ongoing consumer and businesses surveys that the agency is currently doing, it also plans to roll out a wider survey for that matter.
“By the end of the month, malalaman na natin ang impact or ang total effect ng ating virus problem (By the end of the month, we will be able to measure the impact or the total effect of the virus [on our economy]),” Chua said.
“Base diyan, kung may evidence na tayo ay makakapag-craft po tayo ng maganda at angkop na recovery plan (From there, with evidence at hand,we will be able to craft a comprehensive and appropriate recovery plan),” he assured.
Meanwhile, in response to the directive of President Rodrigo Duterte, NEDA is pursuing the registration of five million Filipinos this year in view of the implementation of a National ID system through the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA).
This is to facilitate the speedy distribution of government aid to the intended beneficiaries.
“Sila ay pwede pong makilala na sa mga iba’t ibang social amelioration programs (It would be a way to identify them for social amelioration programs),” Chua noted.
“Puwede rin po silang magbukas ng bank account para iyong pagbibigay ng tulong, hindi na cash and door-to-door, (It will allow them to open a bank account for the aid instead of cash or door-to-door),” he added.
Chua said the agency is currently facilitating the expeditious procurement of materials and equipment necessary to kick start the mass registration preferably in June or July.
The official stressed, however, that the timeline will depend on the implementation of the enhanced community quarantine (ECQ).
NEDA is targeting to register 80 to 90 million Filipinos before the end of the Duterte administration. MNP (with details from Harlene Delgado)
MANILA, Philippines – National Economic Development Authority (NEDA) Secretary Ernesto Pernia on Friday announced he has resigned from his post amid the country’s battle against novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19).
In a statement, Pernia said his resignation is “due partly to personal reasons and partly to differences in development philosophy with a few of my fellow Cabinet members.”
He said he made the decision after reflecting and consulting with his family and close colleagues.
The 76-year old economist is among the officials included in the inter-agency task force crafting policies to respond to COVID-19 crisis.
He was appointed by President Rodrigo Duterte as NEDA chief in July 2016.
“I would like to thank the President for appointing me to the position. It has been an honor and privilege to have served the country under his administration for the past nearly four years,” he said.
“I leave NEDA knowing that we have initiated and implemented meaningful changes that will help the country overcome these challenging times and on to a higher growth trajectory,” he added.
In a separate statement, Malacañang said the president has accepted Pernia’s resignation.
“The Palace confirms that President Rodrigo Roa Duterte has accepted the resignation of Socioeconomic Planning Secretary Ernesto Pernia who resigned due to personal reasons,” Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said.
Finance Undersecretary Karl Chua has been appointed as NEDA Acting Secretary, he added.
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.