Guns, phones used by agents in PNP-PDEA clash to undergo examination – NBI
Robie de Guzman • March 2, 2021 • 585
MANILA, Philippines – Firearms, cellphones and other pieces of evidence recovered from the shooting incident between the Philippine National Police (PNP) and the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) will undergo examination, the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) said Tuesday.
NBI spokesperson and deputy director Ferdinand Lavin said the PNP and PDEA have already turned over some of the evidence from the alleged misencounter that occurred between its operatives last week along Commonwealth Avenue in Quezon City.
These include 29 guns and slugs which will undergo forensic examination to know which among these firearms were used during the shootout.
Police also provided a copy of the technical forensic evidence like autopsy reports, drug tests, DNA tests, paraffin tests, as well as the analysis of bullet trajectories to the NBI.
“Saan nakuha sa crime scene yung empty shells? Sino nakatama kanino? Anong baril nakatama, kanino? Kung may nakuhang slug doon sa katawan ng tao, malalaman natin more or less. Tinitingnan din namin yung relative position nung shooter to the target at approximate distance,” he said.
They will also look at recovered CCTV footage to help determine the positions and actions of operatives before and during the incident.
Cellphones used by the operatives have also been handed over to the investigating body.
Lavin said these devices will be analyzed by the NBI’s digital forensic team.
“Doon sa cellphone, malalaman natin yung takbo ng kwento, especially yung mga operatiba, (coordination?) Yes that’s parts of the analytics na gagawin,” he said.
Lavin said the NBI will gather next testimonial evidence, particularly those involved in the incident.
The NBI has been designated by President Rodrigo Duterte as the sole body to probe the alleged misencounter.
At least four people were killed in the shootout, including two policemen, one PDEA agent, and an informant. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Dante Amento)
MANILA, Philippines — A suspected member of the notorious lost command of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) was arrested in Zamboanga del Norte, the Philippine National Police (PNP) said Friday.
In a statement, PNP chief General Debold Sinas identified the suspect as 37-year old Kayser Martinez alias Alihamra Martinez, who was said to be a former member of the MILF lost command group operating in Siocon and Sirawai towns in the Zamboanga Peninsula.
Martinez was arrested on Wednesday during an operation jointly conducted by elements of the Regional Mobile Force Battalion 9 and Siocon Municipal Police Station by virtue of warrant of arrest under criminal case number 232 for the crime of multiple murder issued by the RTC 9, Branch 6, of Dipolog City, Zamboanga Del Norte.
Citing court records, Sinas said Martinez was involved in the massacre of four civilians last August 3, 1999, in Sitio Guisakan, Barangay D. Reconalla, Siocon, Zamboanga Del Norte with his former MILF Lost Command Leaders Hairulla Hassan alias Hayron Hassan and Eddie Namenso alias Commander Liwayway.
They were also among the perpetrators of the daring attack on Siocon municipality last May 4, 2003, that resulted in casualties and damages in the municipality.
Currently, Martinez is a member of Hassan Group criminal gang allegedly led by Anderson Hassan alias Commander Sabaya, cousin of former notorious leader Hairulla Hassan who are at the same time eminently monitored tying up with the Local Terrorist Groups (LTGs) based in Panabutan, Sirawai, Zamboanga del Norte.
“Manhunt operations against the leader and other members of the criminal gang are underway to prevent them from further victimizing innocent people,” Sinas said.
Martinez is presently detained for further interrogation.
Appropriate charges will be filed against him in court, the PNP said.
MANILA, Philippines – The man allegedly behind the series of bombing incidents in Isulan, Sultan Kudarat has been arrested in a counter-terrorism operation, the Philippine National Police (PNP) said Thursday.
PNP chief General Debold Sinas identified the suspect as Norton Saptula, 23, an alleged member of the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighter-Karialan Faction under chief staff Sukarno Sapal alias Diok.
He was said to be involved in the bombing incidents that transpired on August 28, 2018 in Brgy. Kalawag 3, Isulan, Sultan Kudarat that resulted in 36 wounded civilians and three deaths.
He was also accused of involvement in another incident on September 2, 2018 in Brgy. Kalawag 2, Isulan, Sultan Kudarat that resulted in 14 wounded civilians and two deaths.
Sinas said Saptula was also the 5th most wanted person in the SOCCSKSARGEN Region.
He was arrested on Wednesday in Poblacion, Ampatuan, Maguindanao when operating troops served a warrant of arrest against him for three counts of complex crime of murder with multiple frustrated murder.
The PNP said Saptula was booked at Ampatuan Municipal Police Station and was turned over to Isulan Municipal Police Station for documentation and proper disposition.
“The arrest of Saptula is a setback in the atrocities of the BIFF operating in Maguindanao area and nearby provinces. Moreover, this successful operation would likely affect the planned attacks of local and foreign terrorist organizations,” Sinas said.
MANILA, Philippines – Philippine National Police (PNP) chief General Debold Sinas has assured the public that police will not interfere with any ‘voluntary private sector initiative’ that seeks to provide the basic needs of people severely affected by the coronavirus pandemic.
Sinas did not explicitly mention community pantries in various parts of the country but he said the PNP “fully supports such expression of Bayanihan culture and Filipino spirit of compassion.”
“Hindi makikialam ang PNP sa aktibidad ng mga pribadong grupo na mamahagi ng ayuda sa mga tao,” he said in a statement.
“[W]e will continue to extend utmost assistance to ensure smooth and orderly operations of private sector outreach activities with greater emphasis on the health and safety of both benefactors and beneficiaries of these public endeavors,” he added.
The PNP chief, however, slammed “apparent attempts by certain quarters to create mass hysteria by propagating falsehood and fake news over cyberspace.”
“These persons will be unmasked, investigated and their motives probed,” he said.
“Hindi namin palalampasin ang ganitong pagpapalaganap ng kasinungalingan upang magsulong ng kanilang layunin,” he added.
Sinas’ statement comes after an organizer of a community pantry in Quezon City claimed of being “red-tagged” by government authorities.
The PNP chief also promoted their similar efforts in giving to those in need, saying the continuing implementation of the PNP Food Bank Project has benefitted some 35,512 families and 8,511 other individuals.
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.