Gunman in Dumaguete journalist slay surrenders

Maris Federez   •   November 16, 2019   •   301

MANILA, Philippines – The suspected gunman in the killing of Dumaguete broadcaster and blocktimer Mercedario “Dindo” Generoso has surrendered to authorities, a Palace official announced Friday.

In a press briefing in Malacañang on Friday (November 15), Presidential Task Force on Media Security (PTFOMS) Executive Director Jose Joel Sy Egco presented Patrolman Roger Rubio, who surrendered to his commanding officer on Wednesday following an intensified manhunt.

Egco said Rubio, an active personnel of the Negros Occidental provincial mobile force company, has caved in to mounting pressure due to an intensified manhunt.

Rubio gave himself up to his acting officer, Police Lt. Col. Judymar de Leon at around 6 in the evening of November 13.

“This is the outcome of close coordination and careful yet thorough cooperation between the PTFoMS secretariat headed by yours truly and our dedicated team of investigators from the PNP (Philippine National Police) Region 7,” Egco said.

Egco said murder complaints have already been filed against Rubio and three other suspects before the Dumaguete Prosecutor’s Office.

Generoso was killed on November 7 by motorcycle-riding gunmen while driving his brown Hyundai Elantra on his way to his radio program on Bai Radio. /mbmf

Accused Florida high school gunman faces 17 murder counts

UNTV News   •   February 15, 2018

Nikolas Cruz appears in a police booking photo after being charged with 17 counts of premeditated murder following a Parkland school shooting, at Broward County Jail in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, U.S. February 15, 2018. Broward County Sheriff/Handout via REUTERS

PARKLAND, Fla. (Reuters) – A 19-year-old man who had been expelled from his Florida high school was due in court on Thursday, charged with 17 counts of murder, after authorities say he unleashed one of the deadliest school shootings in U.S. history.

The ex-student, identified as Nikolas Cruz, 19, walked into the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland on Wednesday and opened fire on students and teachers, Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel said. Police believe he acted alone.

Cruz was expected to appear in court Thursday afternoon for a bond hearing, faced with 17 counts of premeditated murder, said Constance Simmons, a spokeswoman for the state attorney’s office.

Cruz was armed with an AR-15-style rifle and had multiple ammunition magazines when he surrendered to officers in a nearby residential area, police said. He loved guns and was expelled for unspecified disciplinary reasons, police and former classmates said.

The shooting in a community about 45 miles (72 km) north of Miami was the 18th in a U.S. school this year, according to gun control group Everytown for Gun Safety, continuing a troubling pattern that has played out over the past few years.

GRAPHIC: tmsnrt.rs/2nX8ECo

It was the second deadliest shooting in a U.S. public school after the 2012 massacre of 20 first-graders and six educators at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, Connecticut.

The deadliest school shooting in U.S. history was at Virginia Tech in 2007, when 32 people were killed.

The Florida shooting stirred the long-simmering U.S. debate on the right to bear arms, which are protected by the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.

Schools across the country have installed electronically secured doors and added security staff, but few legislative solutions have emerged.

“So many signs that the Florida shooter was mentally disturbed, even expelled from school for bad and erratic behavior,” U.S. President Donald Trump said on Twitter on Thursday. “Neighbors and classmates knew he was a big problem. Must always report such instances to authorities, again and again!”

Trump plans to address the nation from the White House at 11 a.m. EST (1600 GMT), a spokeswoman said.

“There’s more questions than answers,” Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives, Republican Paul Ryan, said in an interview with Indiana radio station WIBC. “I don’t think that means you then roll that conversation into taking away citizens’ rights.”

A law enforcement officer is assigned to every school in the Broward County district, Marjory Stoneman Douglas High board member Donna Korn told a local newspaper. The sheriff’s office also provides active shooter training and schools have a single point of entry, she said.

“We have prepared the campuses, but sometimes people still find a way to let these horrific things happen,” Korn said.

The first victim of the attack was publicly identified on Thursday as Aaron Feis, an assistant coach on the school’s football team and a school security guard who was shot while shielding students, the team said on Twitter.

‘THE WORST IN HUMANITY’

Hundreds of panicked students fled the building, running past heavily armed, helmeted police officers while others huddled in closets.

“This has been a day we’ve seen the worst in humanity,” Broward County Public Schools Superintendent Robert Runcie said Wednesday.

The assailant wore a gas mask as he stalked into the school carrying a rifle, ammunition cartridges and smoke grenades, then pulled a fire alarm, prompting students and staff to pour from classrooms into hallways, according to Florida’s two U.S. senators, who were brief by federal authorities.

Cruz had recently moved in with another family after his mother’s death in November, according to Jim Lewis, a lawyer representing the family and local media, bringing his AR-15 along with his other belongings.

The family believed Cruz was depressed, but attributed that to his mother’s death, not mental illness.

“They didn’t see any danger. They didn’t see any kind of predilection this was going to happen,” Lewis told CNN.

Cruz may have left warning signs on social media. Buzzfeed reported that a person named Nikolas Cruz left a comment under a YouTube video that read “I‘m going to be a professional school shooter.” The man who posted the video was alarmed and contacted the FBI, Buzzfeed reported.

Reuters was unable to immediately confirm those details.

Colton Haab, a 17-year-old member of the Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps at the high school, said he realized the alarms were not a drill after hearing several shots fired.

“That for me changed it to an active shooter scenario,” he said. Haab rushed to his ROTC room and helped usher several dozen students inside, barricading them behind curtains made of Kevlar, a material used to make bullet-proof vests.

“We grabbed two pieces of two-by-four, a fire extinguisher and a chair,” Haab said. “We were going to try to stop him with whatever we had.”

Additional reporting by Zachary Fagenson in Parkland, Florida, Jonathan Allen in New York, Susan Heavey in Washington and Brendan O’Brien in Milwaukee; Writing by Scott Malone; Editing by John Stonestreet and Jeffrey Benkoe

Las Vegas gunman’s brother at loss to explain shooter’s actions

admin   •   October 5, 2017

IMAGE_UNTV_NEWS_100417_Eric Paddock

 

Eric Paddock, the Orlando-based brother of the Las Vegas shooter attempted to shed light on the actions of a man he described as a “good guy” who looked out for his loved ones.

He described his brother as a financially well-off enthusiast of video poker and cruises, with no history of mental health issues.

“I hope the hell they find when they do the autopsy, that there’s a tumor in his head or something because if they don’t we’re all in trouble,” said Paddock.

Federal, state and local investigators have found no evidence that paddock, 64, had even incidental contacts with foreign or domestic extremist groups, and reviews of his history show no underlying pattern of lawbreaking or hate speech, a senior U.S. Homeland Security official said on Tuesday.

Eric said the family did not plan to hold a funeral for his brother, who was not religious, saying it could attract unwanted attention.

Investigators wanted to talk with Paddock’s girlfriend and live-in companion, Marilou Danley, who the authorities considered again as a person of interest.

Media reports said the gunman had recently wired 100,000 dollars to the Philippines, but it was unclear whether it was intended for Danley.

Eric said he would not be surprised if the money was meant for Danley’s use, but he just couldn’t comprehend what pushed his brother to commit such crime.

“The people he loved, he took care of and as he was descending into hell, he wanted to try and take care of her. The fact that he took care of Marilou and then killed all these people, there’s just no connection there for me. I don’t understand how Steve got to that point,” said the shooter’s brother. —Reuters

 

Resorts World Manila gunman identified

admin   •   June 5, 2017

Philippine National Police identified the suspect in Resorts World Manila attack.

Philippine National Police identified Jessie Carlos, the lone gunman in the Resorts World Manila attack.

MANILA –  Jessie Carlos, 42 years old, quiet and a loner according to his neighbors. He was a resident of Sta. Cruz, Manila, and had a wife and three children.

He was a former tax specialist at the Department of Finance, but was removed from his job due to a complaint filed against him at the Office of the Ombudsman concerning an incorrect declaration of Statement of Assets and Liabilities (SALN).

He was a gambling addict who could not pay his P4-million debt and is separated from his wife.

In April, his addiction prompted his is relatives to ask the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation (PAGCOR) to ban him from entering any casinos.

These are the reasons cited by the police in relation to Carlos’ attack at Resorts World Manila, Friday midnight.

Tracking the taxi he took, the cops found Carlos’ family.

The relatives confirmed the identity of the suspect through the images and CCTV footage.

Aside from this, his parents identified Carlos’ corpse through the autopsy results.

The suspect’s parents asked for forgiveness to the victims of the attack especially those who died in the incident.

“Humihingi po kami ng patawad, sa nagawa po ng anak ko, hindi po namin gusto ang nangyari. We’re really sorry,” Fernando Carlos, the suspect’s father said. (We asked for forgiveness, to what my son did. We didn’t want this to happen.We’re really sorry.)

Carlos’ mother calls on parents to stop their children from getting involved in bad vices.

“Kung maaari po sana, awatin po ninyo ang anak ninyo.  Kami po namimighati rin po, di rin po namin matanggap na ang anak po namin, nalulong ng husto hangga’t umabot sa ganitong pangyayari,” Teodora Carlos, the suspect’s mother said. (If you can, stop your child. We’re really full of sorrow. We could not accept that our son was totally addicted and it has led to this incident.)

The police considers the case closed after the suspect has been identified. It has also put a stop to speculations that the incident was a terror attack.

“I think this already dispels all the notions, all the speculations on terrorism,” NCRPO Police Director Oscar Albayalde said. — Rosalie Coz | UNTV News & Rescue

READ: Shooting erupts at Resorts World Manila

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

(+632) 8920.8336 (Fax)

info@untvweb.com (General inquiries)

support@untvweb.com

UNTV News and Rescue Emergency Hotlines:

LANDLINE (+632) 8396-8688

ADVERTISE WITH US

(+632) 8 442.6244 Loc. 143, 144, 162, 164

advertising@untvweb.com

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.