Gun tourism a sure big business in Las Vegas

admin   •   October 5, 2017   •   2988

The latest mass shooting in the U.S. didn’t just happen anywhere —  it happened in Las Vegas – where gun culture and entertainment have been taken to a whole new level.

Advertisements for gun ranges aimed at tourists are plastered across billboards all over the city and there are several businesses offering the millions of visitors the chance to experience using live ammunition.

Genghis Cohen owns and operates Machine Gun Vegas (MGV), a firearm experience business. At MGV, clients can shoot automatic weapons, and even kids can join in.

“I think there’s a curiosity, people just have a curiosity with guns. If you look at the most popular video games, you know, you look at movies, you look at the TV shows, guns are like riddled through all of it. They wouldn’t be there if there wasn’t an interest or a curiosity,” said Cohen.

Most of the customers are from overseas countries where guns are either harder to get or banned for citizens.

After Sunday’s shooting, Cohen closed his business for two days and posted a statement on the website calling for stricter gun laws.

“There’s no reason for an average citizen, there’s absolutely no reason for an average citizen who wants to have a gun to have a 100-round magazine, OK. There’s no reason for them to be able to buy accessories for their gun which makes the gun almost fully automatic. There’s just no reason for it,” said the gun range owner.

The incident has brought machine gun tourism into the spotlight. While Cohen closed his doors as a show of respect to victims’ families, many other gun ranges offering automatic weapon experiences remained open.

Just days after the terrible shooting in Las Vegas, the gun control debate has started.

For a former US Navy, the supervision of guns in America is very lax and could be the main cause of this massacre.

“And if that concealed carry permit applied nationwide because these gun laws won’t work, if they’re state by state, they only work if they’re nationwide because we have open borders. and I think if we did that, and then limited the magazine capacity and banned bumper stocks, we would see a drastic decrease in the number of lives lost,” said Truman National Security Project San Diego Chapter Co-Director Shawn Vandiver. — Reuters

 

Jollibee to acquire Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf for $350 million

Aileen Cerrudo   •   July 24, 2019

Jollibee Foods Corporation (JFC) has acquired US-based Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf (CBTL) for $350 million through its subsidiary Jollibee Worldwide Pte Ltd.

According to JFC Chair Tony Tan Caktiong, this is the largest multinational acquisition so far.

“Combined with Highlands Coffee, with business mostly in Vietnam, this acquisition will enable JFC to become an important player in the large, fast-growing and profitable coffee business,” he said in a statement.

The company initially invested $100 million in a new Singapore-based company to acquire CBTL. The balance of $250 million will be made as advances to the new holding company.

“Our priority is to accelerate the growth of The Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf brand particularly in Asia, by strengthening its brand development, marketing, and franchise support system,” Tan Caktiong added.—AAC

Cristiano Ronaldo will not face rape charges in Las Vegas

Robie de Guzman   •   July 23, 2019

Ronaldo posing for team photo during Real Madrid’s champions league celebrations at the Bernabeu. Courtesy: Reuters

Portuguese soccer star Cristiano Ronaldo will face no charges in Las Vegas in connection with a sexual assault allegation because the case cannot be proven beyond a reasonable doubt, prosecutors said on Monday.

Ronaldo, who is widely regarded as one of the greatest soccer players of all time and plays for the Italian club Juventus, has maintained he is innocent of rape.

The allegation made headlines last year after Las Vegas police said they were investigating it.

The case stems from a June 13, 2009 call from a woman to Las Vegas police. She reported that she had been sexually assaulted and police took her to the hospital for an examination, the Clark County District Attorney’s Office said in a statement on Monday (July 22).

But she declined to identify the person who she said assaulted her.

The woman and Ronaldo reached a civil settlement in 2010 and law enforcement did not hear again from her until August 28, 2018, when she asked police to reopen the investigation. She said Ronaldo was the person who sexually assaulted her, prosecutors said.

“Based upon a review of the information presented at this time, the allegations of sexual assault against Cristiano Ronaldo cannot be proven beyond a reasonable doubt,” the District Attorney’s Office said in a statement.

Ronaldo’s attorney, Peter Christiansen, and a representative for his sports agents could not immediately be reached for comment. (REUTERS)

(Production: Kurt Michael Hall)

Internet abuzz over Google suspending business with Huawei

Aileen Cerrudo   •   May 20, 2019

Courtesy : Reuters

Google has suspended some business with Huawei after United States President Donald Trump added Huawei Technologies Co. Ltd. to a trade blacklist.

This includes the transfer of hardware, software and technical services except those publicly available via open source licensing.

“Huawei Technologies Co. Ltd. will immediately lose access to updates to the Android operating system, and the next version of its smartphones outside of China will also lose access to popular applications and services including the Google Play Store and Gmail app,” according to Reuters in an exclusive report.

Due to this, netizens are in a melting pot of emotions.

via GIPHY

Current Huawei users, however, have nothing to worry about since they will be able to use and download app updates provided by Google, according to a Google spokesperson.

“For users of our services, Google Play and the security protections from Google Play Protect will continue to function on existing Huawei devices,” the spokesperson said.—Reuters

Latest News

Cayetano: Amid challenges, PH all set for SEA Games

October 16, 2019   •   9 hours ago

LPA East of Aurora is now Tropical Depression Perla

October 16, 2019   •   9 hours ago

PNP firearms head De Leon is new PRO-7 chief

October 16, 2019   •   10 hours ago

Angat Dam needs 3 cyclones to replenish – PAGASA

October 16, 2019   •   10 hours ago

DOJ begins reinvestigation on 2013 drug raid

October 16, 2019   •   11 hours ago

Philippine Army to recruit more soldiers this year

October 16, 2019   •   11 hours ago

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+63) 396-8688 (Tel)

(+63) 2 920.8336 (Fax)

info@untvweb.com (General inquiries)

support@untvweb.com

UNTV News and Rescue Emergency Hotlines:

LANDLINE (+63) 396-8688

ADVERTISE WITH US

(+63) 2 442.6244 Loc. 143, 144, 162, 164

advertising@untvweb.com

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.