Global unemployment to increase by 3.4-M by 2017: ILO

admin   •   January 16, 2017   •   3022

Based on the World Employment and Social Outlook Trends 2017 released by the International Labor Organization (ILO), the global unemployment rate is expected to rise modestly by 3.4 million jobless people in 2017.

This is 0.1% rise from 5.7% in 2016 to 5.8% this year.

“We expect global unemployment to increase by 3.4 million in 2017 and that will bring the global unemployment level to 201 million in the year that’s beginning,” said ILO chief Guy Ryder.

Ryder said many countries around the world in all regions continue to strive to repair the damage to the labour markets caused by the crisis that broke in 2008.

He said that despite the marginal improvement in economic growth, the report warns that global uncertainty and the lack of decent jobs are among other factors underpinning social unrest and migration in many parts of the world.

According to report, between 2009 and 2016, the share of population willing to migrate abroad has increased in almost every region of the world except for Southern Asia, South-eastern Asia and the Pacific.

The largest rise took place in Latin America, the Caribbean and the Arab states.

According to the study, a coordinated effort to provide fiscal stimulus and an increase in public investment would provide an immediate jump-start to the global economy and reduce global unemployment in 2018 by close to 2 million compared to baseline forecasts. — Marje Navarro | UNTV News & Rescue

How SSS members can apply for unemployment benefits

Aileen Cerrudo   •   June 10, 2020

Contributing members of the Social Security System (SSS) will be able to receive unemployment benefits after losing their jobs due to the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic.

According to the SSS, unemployed members include house helpers, seafarers, and overseas workers, and among the conditions indicated include:

  • age during unemployment will not be older than 60 years old;
  • was able to pay SSS contribution for no less than 36 monthly contributions;
  • has not been able to receive unemployment benefit in the last three years prior to the month when separation from job happened

Applicants should also submit the original and photocopy of one of the primary ID cards and documents. Primary IDs may include Passport, Driver’s License, and National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) Clearance.

SSS Vice President for Public Affairs and Special Events Fernando Nicolas said unemployed members should submit the certificate of involuntary separation from the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE).

He also said that the benefit they will be receiving will be based on their contribution.

“Naka-base iyan sa monthly salary credit na hinuhulugan nila. Kung naghuhulog kayo ng P20,000 monthly salary credit iyan po ang katumbas ng matatanggap niyo (It is based on the monthly salary credit they were paying. If you paid P20,000 monthly salary credit that will be the equivalent of what you will be receiving),” Nicolas said.

SSS also clarified self-employed and SSS voluntary members will not be qualified for the benefit.

The agency is already preparing for the online filing for the applicants of the unemployment benefits. Nicolas advised applicants to wait for the online filing to avoid inconvenience due to limited transportation amid the community quarantine.

“So kung gusto niyo pong huwag munang maabala kasi mahirap ang transportasyon ngayon, huwag po muna kayong mag-file at dito na lang po muna natin gawin sa online (So if you want to avoid inconvenience because transportation will be difficult, don’t file and just do it online),” he said.

The Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) previously reported that around 7.3 million lost their jobs due to the pandemic. AAC (with reports from Harlene Delgado)

Global workforce face 305-M job losses in Q2; service sectors in PH to bear brunt

Marje Pelayo   •   May 28, 2020

MANILA, Philippines — The International Labor Organization (ILO) has recorded a 4.8 percent decline in the number of working hours worldwide which is equivalent to 135 million full-time jobs in the first quarter of 2020 as an impact of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic.

It is estimated to reach 305 million equivalent jobs by the end of the second-quarter which would add to the number of unemployed individuals around the world.

Specifically, the regions that will bear the brunt of largest losses in hours worked worldwide would be the Americas, Europe and Central Asia.

According to the ILO, the hardest hit are young workers, of which 1 out of 6 are now jobless since the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic. 

Those who remain employed have faced cuts in their working hours by 23 percent,  the ILO said.

In the Philippines, Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III estimates that around 4 million to 5 million Filipinos could become jobless this year due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

The numbers may even reach 10 million if the crisis worsens further.

“Right now, your Honor, we already lost 2.6-M workers resulting from business establishments going into temporary closure and another group of business establishments resorting to flexible work arrangement,” Bello reported during a May 20 Senate hearing.

The most affected is the service sector which includes tourism, hotels, and restaurants.

Tourism Secretary Bernadette Romulo-Puyat, in the same hearing, reported a decline in tourist arrivals in the Philippines by 54 percent from January to April this year compared with the same period in 2019.

This resulted in a reduction of 55 percent in tourist arrival revenues during the same period.

“With both international and domestic travel restriction in effect for the entirety of April, there have been no visiting tourists and therefore no revenue for the industry for this month,” Romulo-Puyat said.

To address the issue, the Labor and Tourism Departments are asking Congress for P40-billion and P70-billion budgets, respectively, to assist workers and related sectors in coping with the effects of the pandemic. MNP (with inputs from Rey Pelayo)

Nearly half of global workforce risk losing livelihoods in pandemic — ILO

UNTV News   •   April 30, 2020

Some 1.6 billion workers in the informal economy, representing nearly half of the global labor force, are in immediate danger of losing their livelihoods due to the coronavirus pandemic, the International Labour Organization (ILO) said on Wednesday (April 29).

The U.N. agency’s latest report sharply raised its forecast for the devastating impact on jobs and incomes of the COVID-19 disease, which has infected more than 3.1 million people globally, killed nearly 220,000 and shut down economies.

ILO Director-General Guy Ryder said they foresee a substantial poverty impact. Already, wages of the world’s 2 billion informal workers plunged by an estimated global average of 60% in the first month that the crisis unfolded in each region, the ILO said. Informal workers are the most vulnerable of the 3.3 billion global workforce, lacking welfare protection, access to good healthcare, or the means to work from home, it stressed.

The ILO said prolonged lockdowns and office and plant closures are now expected to lead to an “even” worse fall in total working hours worldwide in the second quarter than what was forecast just three weeks ago. Worst-hit sectors are manufacturing, accommodation and food services, wholesale and retail trade, and real estate and business activities. (Reuters)

(Production: Yiming Woo)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.