GIS EXCLUSIVE: Ret. Gen. Ronald dela Rosa eyes measures to maintain law and order if elected
by UNTV News and Rescue | Posted on Monday, 11 February 2019 02:15 PM
QUEZON CITY, Philippines – Retired General Ronald dela Rosa admits that law and order remains his top priority even as a private individual.
Now that he is trying his luck in re-entering government service, the former chief of the Philippine National Police said he wants to propose measures that will maintain law and order in the country as this is one way of boosting the country’s economy and improving the lives of Filipinos.
“Mag-concentrate ako dito sa aking cup of tea, na law and order kasi alam natin, economy will follow. Pag maganda ang peace and order ng isang bansa, susunod ang investment,” Dela Rosa said in an interview with the program Get It Straight with Daniel Razon on Monday (February 11).
As the former top law enforcer in the country, Dela Rosa said he is in favor of lowering the criminal age of responsibility from 15 to 12 years old. However, he suggests that the government should provide more rehabilitation facilities for juvenile delinquents.
“Magkakaroon ng foreign investment, local investors. Magi-invest sila ng pera dahil confident sila. Kung may investment, may employment. Kapag may employment, may income ang tao. Kapag may income, may makakain sa kani-kaniyang pamamahay so gaganda ang buhay ng tao pag may laman ang tiyan,” he added.
To further intensify national security, he will propose the registration of subscriber identification module (SIM) cards and regulate its distribution as a way to counter terrorism.
He also promised to campaign against loose firearms across the country.
Meanwhile, Gen. Bato said he feels sorry for the deaths caused by the government’s war on drugs under his leadership of the PNP.
Nevertheless, he feels relieved every time there are people who thank him for the reform and improvements since the launch of the Duterte administration’s campaign against illegal drugs.
“May lalapit sa iyo at yayakap: ‘Sir, maraming salamat sa ginagawa ninyo. Malaki na po pagkakaiba ngayon. Noon po takot na takot kami. Ngayon hindi na po kami takot, baligtad na. Noon, nagtatago kami sa loob ng bahay, ayaw naming lumabas sa kalsada. Ngayon baligtad na, kami na nasa kalsada. Ang mga addict na ang nagtatago sa bahay dahil baka makita ng pulis,’ ” he said of the people who approach him to recognize his accomplishments.
“Very fulfilling. Napalapit ko, (ang) pulis sa taumbayan,” he concluded happily. – Marje Pelayo (with reports from Rosalie Coz)
by UNTV News | Posted on Saturday, 9 February 2019 08:25 PM
Former Biliran District Rep. and election reform advocate, Atty. Glenn Chong claims he was just forced to run as a senator in the May midterm elections.
In an exclusive interview with the program Get It Straight with Daniel Razon, Chong said he does not trust the country’s automated elections system being implemented by the Commission on Elections.
However, he decided to use the election platform to reveal and stop the alleged irregularities and fraudulent activities by what he tagged as “syndicates of election”.
Razon asked Chong, “So talagang ang kampanya ninyo ay gibain ang Comelec? Ganun ba?”
Chong replied, “Smartmatic sir, kick them out kasi di naman natin pwedeng i-ckick out ang Comelec because it’s a constitutional body. We can reform the Commission on Elections, but we cannot reform an incorrigible Smartmatic. So Smartmatic has to be thrown out of this country, for good and then we reform the Commission on Elections.”
Chong is a vocal critic of Smartmatic. He claimed irregularities in the automated election system since the company teamed up with Comelec.
The senatorial aspirant previously said he was compelled to study the automated elections system after allegedly being a victim of rigged elections in the 2010 and 2013 polls.
Chong also appealed to his fellow senatorial candidates to emulate his plans to prevent fraud in the upcoming elections.
He also challenged the Comelec and Smartmatic not to manipulate the results of the 2019 midterm elections.
“One month before the elections, I’ll show to the Comelec and Smartmatic exactly what number of votes I have in these particular precincts. Pag bumaba ang boto ko na inilabas ng makina dun sa pinakita ko sa kanila, I’ll take full responsibility, oorderan ko ang mga tao, ‘Buksan ninyo ang balota. Sabihin ninyo order ko yan, ako ang magpapakulong, buksan ninyo yan at bilangin ninyo ang boto.’ In other words, huhulihin ko sila, if they will attempt to cheat me,” said Chong.
Chong clarified he does not want people to resort to an uprising in case there will be vote rigging.
However, he will not allow electoral fraud to continue in the country.
“The supreme law is the will of the people. The people can always re-write the Constitution, the people can always re-write the law,” said the senatorial candidate.
Chong also expressed confidence that he will win the senatorial race if the election results will not be manipulated. — Rosalie Coz
by UNTV News and Rescue | Posted on Wednesday, 6 February 2019 03:45 PM
QUEZON CITY, Philippines – His decades of exposure to the recurring problems in the society prompted Rodrigo Defeo Manicad Jr. to gamble in Philippine politics.
Known simply as “Jiggy Manicad” , the broadcast journalist said he knows very well the root causes of these problems, but the opportunity for him to contribute change is limited as a media person than being a statesman. This is why he wants to take his chances in the 2019 midterm elections.
On the program Get It Straight with Daniel Razon, Manicad said he wants to widen his avenue to better serve the people.
“Siguro iyong issue lang nang pagtutok. Parang sa dami ng ng issue natin bilang bansa, hindi masyadong natututukan,” Manicad said when asked why he decided to go against the so-called big names in politics.
Like the previous senatorial aspirants who graced the program, Manicad wants to focus on providing solutions to the country’s problems in agriculture.
He suggests giving key agriculture positions in government to experts in the field than entrust its management to traditional politicians.
He wants to push measures that would improve the local farmers’ production to empower them and for their yields to compete with imported products.
“Ano ba nakikita natin ngayon? Mahal ang farm inputs—pesticide, abono. Lagyan natin ng ceiling yan sa presyuhan kasi yan ang mahal,” the senatorial hopeful argued.
Manicad added that he wants to establish policies that would strengthen the country’s disaster preparedness and capabilities in times of calamities where the government, he believes, is still lacking despite its high-level of accuracy in terms of weather and disaster forecasting.
Being a media personality, Manicad aims to address labor issues in media networks in the country.
Likewise, he wants to encourage these networks to promote good values and the richness of Filipino culture in television programs.
Being a rookie politician, the veteran journalist wants reform in the country’s electoral system hopefully by imposing stricter guidelines for election to give candidates’ equal opportunities even those who are budding politicians as himself. – Marje Pelayo (with reports from Rey Pelayo)
by UNTV News and Rescue | Posted on Tuesday, 10 July 2018 05:06 PM
Bureau of Customs Commissioner Isidro Lapeña
QUEZON CITY, Philippines – Customs Commissioner Isidro Lapeña on Tuesday (July 11) maintains that he will stay in office as long as President Rodrigo Duterte says so despite ouster plot from several Bureau of Customs (BOC) employees who, he claims, are opposing his policies in the agency.
“Nararamdaman ko iyon. In fact, may information nga ako na meron silang P20M na sinking fund daw to discredit me…I serve under the pleasure of the President, Kuya Daniel. Hangga’t andiyan iyong tiwala ng ating Presidente sa atin, gagawin natin lahat ng ating makakaya para mapagsilbihan ang mamamayang Pilipino,” Lapeña said during Tuesday’s episode of the program “Get It Straight with Daniel Razon.”
During the program, Lapeña also confessed that he was offered with “pasalubong” on his first day taking over as Customs Commissioner. That experience, he said, prompted him to impose the “No Pasalubong, No Tara System” policy within the agency.
In line with the administration’s anti-corruption campaign, the Customs Chief imposed the one-strike policy among Customs personnel, warning them against any involvement in corrupt practices such as smuggling.
Lapeña estimates around 850 customs personnel were already dismissed or transferred to different office under his administration due to illegal acts citing his authority as the Commissioner.
Commissioner Lapeña believes that the reshuffle of personnel hugely contributed to achieving the agency’s monthly target revenue collection.
“The one strike policy, kapag hindi na- hit ang target ng collector, I change him or her at kasama diyan iyong kaniyang staff in the assessment. So iyong kaniyang deputy collector, iyong mga tao niya sa assessment. Pinapalitan ko lahat iyan and it’s working,” he explained.
The record shows that the BOC’s revenue collection in July 2018 surpassed the agency’s monthly target. BOC reached a total collection of P50.139B this second week of July which is P2B pesos higher than the P47.80B pesos revenue in June.
This means that the agency’s campaign against corruption is effectively working.
“For the last 4 months nag- shoot up iyong revenue collection. It is an all-time high in the history of Bureau of Customs,” the Commissioner said. – Aiko Miguel / Marje Pelayo
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.