GIS EXCLUSIVE: DA’s Piñol relieves 2 NFA execs in Region 3
Marje Pelayo • September 24, 2018 • 3481
Agriculture Secretary Manny Piñol during his interview with UNTV’s Get it Straight with Daniel Razon
QUEZON CITY, Philippines –Agriculture Secretary Manny Piñol has relieved from their positions the Region 3 director of the National Food Authority (NFA) and the agency’s manager in Bulacan.
This was after the Secretary discovered hundreds of thousands of rice bags inside big warehouses in their area during a surprise inspection in Marilao, Bulacan.
“Today, actually I have ordered the relief of the director in Region 3, NFA. And I have also ordered the relief of the manager of NFA Bulacan. Sapagkat ako, hindi ako naniniwala na hindi nila alam kung ang bodega diyan na may itinatagong bigas,” Piñol said during an interview with the program “Get it Straight with Daniel Razon” on Monday (September 24).
Based on its website, the agency’s regional director for Region 3 is Piolito C. Santos and the NFA’s manager for Bulacan is Elvira C. Obaña.
The DA has previously announced a P250,000 bounty for whoever who could provide information against rice hoarding in the country.
During the interview, Secretary Piñol also announced his plan to formalize the creation of a task force that will conduct a nationwide inspection of warehouses in the country.
The task force will be headed by the current head of DA’s Internal Affairs Division retired Marine Colonel Danilo Luna.
The team will be working with representatives from the DILG, PNP, and BOC among others.
According to Secretary Piñol, the move is part of DA’s intensified crackdown against rice hoarders.
Those who will be caught hoarding rice supply will have their stocks confiscated and are likely to face life imprisonment for charges of economic sabotage. – Rey Pelayo / Marje Pelayo
MANILA, Philippines – Retailers and government agencies may now purchase rice from the National Food Authority (NFA) at a reduced price of P25/kg, instead of P27/kg.
Such measure aims at expediting the disposal of NFA’s current buffer stocks, said DA Secretary William Dar.
“Para mas magaan, mas mabilis ang paglabas ng mgaimported rice stocks [of the] National Food Authority,” he said.
Agencies which can avail the reduced price of NFA rice include the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD), Bureau of Corrections (Bucor), Bureau of Jail Management and Penology (BJMP), and local government units (LGUs).
Meanwhile, retailers may also get an even lower price per kilogram of NFA rice at P23 instead of P25/kg.
However, this will still be sold to end-consumers at P27/kg thus retailers will be able to gain P200 higher profit for each sack of rice.
Rice retailer Teresita Terado said the disposal of NFA rice still depends on consumer preference.
“Ang taong-bayan naman ang bibili nyan, hindi naman kami. Kahit i-push namin siya kung hindi naman siya mabenta,(It’s the consumers who buy [the NFA rice] not us. We can’t push them to buy it if they don’t want to),” Terado, a rice retailer at Commonwealth Market, said.
But Teresita said there is not much difference between regular commercial rice and NFA rice when it comes to quality.
Consumer group Laban Konsyumer criticized the government’s economic managers for rejecting their proposal, which according to the group’s president Atty. Vic Dimagiba, led to the current state of NFA rice in the country.
“Our proposal was ignored because the economic managers believe then that the imported rice will bring down prices to 32 pesos a kilogram. That didn’t happen,” Dimagiba said.
“What’s happening now is a sort of deja vu. Cramming and bringing back NFA to the market actively,” he added.
Based on the NFA’s October 17 data, there are still 2.5 million sacks of imported rice for disposal in the agency’s warehouses.
Such imported rice shipment was last contracted in December 2018 and its delivery was completed in February 2019. — MNP (with reports from Rey Pelayo)
BULACAN, Philippines – The pig virus African Swine Fever (ASF) has so far affected five barangays in the municipality of Guiguinto.
These are barangays Tiaong, Kut-Kot, Malis, Tabe and Pritil.
Hog raisers are already complaining over huge loss of income.
Even pork meat vendors and lechon makers in the province are also hurt by the ASF outbreak.
Based on records of the Municipal Veterinary Office, over a hundred pigs have already died in these areas since August 16.
Authorities suspect that the pigs delivered from Rizal may have been the source of the spread of ASF in Guiguinto.
“Dinadala dito. Doon sila humahango (The pigs are brought here from there [Rizal]) ,” said Guiguinto Municipal Veterinary Officer Eduardo Jose.
“Pagdating dyan naunang nagkaroon ng report sa Rodriguez. Nag-suspect ang provincial veterinary office na nadala dito sa Pritil, (The report first surfaced in Rodriguez. The provincial veterinary office suspected that the virus was brought here in Pritil)” Jose said.
Hog raisers are starting to complain over huge loss of income due to ASF outbreak.
“Dito po namin inilibing ang labinlimang baboy na namatay kahapon. Affected po ang Pritil, (This is where we buried 15 pigs that died yesterday. Pritil is also affected),” said hog raiser Sofia Verde.
Verde said she already lost more than 100 pigs including a sow.
Barangay Pritil for now does not accept delivery of pigs from Rizal and Batangas due to ASF outbreak.
Aside from pork meat vendors, lechon makers in Bulacan are also hurt by the outbreak as buyers of the Filipino pork delicacy have become fewer.
“Matumal talaga. Nasasabay pa yung balita na (African Swine Fever) sa baboy, (Sales have been slow, and news about African Swine Fever is making it worse),” noted lechon maker Minda Atim.
Some pork meat vendors whose products were certified by the National Meat Inspection Service (NMIS) said they were not exempted from the impact of ASF scare.
They blame the media for fueling the flames when it comes to ASF.
“Ang nangyari kasi malakas rin ang (impluwensiya) ng media, (The influence of media is strong),” said Lisa Apolinario, a pork meat vendor.
“Napapakita, napapanood na akala nila ganun na lahat ng paninda. Maayos ang paninda namin kasi may certificate naman kami (When people see it on TV they think all pork being sold in the market are affected. Our products are safe because we have certificates),” Apolinario argued.
Meanwhile, some consumers prefer to be safe by buying other sources of protein instead of pork meat.
“Mga seafood na lang binibili namin and chicken, (We prefer to buy seafood and chicken),” said Paula Angeles.
“Mas maganda mag-ingat na lang po ngayon, (It’s better to be cautious,)” another consumer, Jane Art said.
“Kapag wala na siguro yung case ng swine (fever) saka na lang siguro magbaboy, (When the case of (African) Swine (Fever) is cleared, that’s the time we could buy pork again),” she concluded. – MNP (with reports from Nestor Torres)
MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Agriculture (DA) in a press release admitted that the current African Swine Fever (ASF) episodes in Rizal and Bulacan may be considered an outbreak but not yet an epidemic.
The Department assured, however, that the pig virus has already been contained in Barangay Pritil and Guiguinto in Bulacan as well as in several barangays in Rodriguez, San Mateo, and Antipolo in Rizal.
The agency, through Secretary William Dar, stressed that the outbreak is not affecting the entire country thus it appeals to the public as well as the media not to ignite fear as unverified and unvalidated reports could create irreversible damage to the country’s hog industry which is also the source of livelihood for millions of Filipinos.
Meanwhile, the Bureau of Animal Industry (BAI) confirmed that the cases of pig deaths in Rizal and Bulacan have been at outbreak level since August this year.
“Basta na-confirm na ito’y tumaas doon sa normally expected na nagkakasakit at normal na bilang ng namamatay, outbreak na iyon. August po iyon,” Director Ronnie Domingo said in an interview on Monday (September 16) when asked as to when the outbreak started.
(If the confirmed number of pig deaths goes beyond the normal number of expected deaths, that’s outbreak already. That was the case in August.)
The agency, meanwhile, doesn’t want to confirm what the Quezon City government announced regarding ASF-positive pigs amid culling operations in the city.
According to Domingo, they are still conducting laboratory tests on the pig samples including those that floated in a creek in Bagong Silangan as well as those recovered in Marikina River.
The official echoed Secretary Dar’s call on hog raisers to report pigs that had gone sick in order to prevent the spread of the deadly swine virus.
“Sana makalaya tayo kaagad in the shortest possible time (We hope to end this (problem) in the shortest possible time),” Domingo said.
“Pero pagka may nagtatago at ganyan na hindi nakikisama, mae-extend ang control measures na ginagawa (natin) (But if there are some who conceal [their hogs], we need to extend our control measures),” he added. – MNP (with details from Rey Pelayo)
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.