Gigi Reyes, isinugod sa ospital dahil sa paninikip ng dibdib

admin   •   July 14, 2014   •   5751

Philippine Heart Center facade (UNTV News)

MANILA, Philippines — Isinugod sa Philippine Heart Center si Atty. Gigi Reyes noong Biyernes ng gabi matapos makaramdam ng matinding pananakit ng dibdib.

Alas-9 ng gabi ng dumating ito sa Philippine Heart Center at agad isinailalim sa cardiac examination.

Hindi pa man dinirinig ng Sandiganbayan ang mosyon ni Reyes na mula sa Taguig-Pateros General Hospital ay ilipat sa mas malaking ospital.

Napilitan ang mga doktor nito na dalhin sa heart center dahil hindi na umano tumatalab ang mga gamot na ibinibigay sa kaniya ng doktor.

Biyernes ng umaga hindi nabasahan ng sakdal sa Sandiganbayan si Reyes dahil hindi ito pinahintulutan ng kanyang doktor dahil sa kanyang kondisyon.

Una nang sinabi ni Sandiganbayan 3rd Division Clerk of Court Atty. Dennis Pulma na itinakda na sa Martes July 15 ang pagdinig sa mosyon ni Reyes. Subalit magdedepende pa rin ito sa magiging kalagayan ni Reyes.

Aniya, anumang oras ay maaari naman siyang ilipat sa mas malaking ospital lalo na kung kailangan nang mabigyan ng atensyong medikal.

“Depende kasi, I cannot speak sa magiging kalagayan ni Atty. Reyes from now until then ng Tuesday but one thing is clear that the lawyer of Atty. Reyes filed a motion to allow her to transfer to a bigger hospital is set for hearing this Tuesday July 15.”

Samantala, sa Martes ng hapon tuloy ang pagdinig ng korte.

Ipinatawag nito ang cardiologist at medical director ng Taguig Pateros General Hospital upang kumpirmahin sa mga doktor kung kailangan talagang manatili sa mas malaking ospital si Reyes.

Hindi pa naman masabi ni Atty. Pulma kung ang kasalukuyang kondisyon ni Reyes ay maaaring magresulta na upang i-hospital arrest ang akusado.

Si Reyes at dating chief of staff ni Senator Juan Ponce Enrile na ngayon ay kasama sa inakusahang nakinabang sa multi-billion pork barrel scam.

Nahaharap ito ngayon sa kasong plunder at graft sa Sandiganbayan bilang kapwa akusado ng nina Senators Juan Ponce Enrile, Jinggoy Estrada at Ramon Bong Revilla Jr. (Grace Casin / Ruth Navales, UNTV News)

Sandiganbayan dismisses P1-B civil case vs Marcoses

Aileen Cerrudo   •   October 8, 2019

Philippines First Lady and current congresswoman Imelda Marcos (2-L) when she visited the tomb of former strongman Ferdinand Marcos to mark National Heroes Day at the ‘Libingan ng mga Bayani’ (Cemetery of Heroes) in Taguig City, south of Manila, Philippines, 28 August 2017. EPA-EFE/FRANCIS R. MALASIG

The second division of the Sandiganbayan has dismissed the civil case filed by the Presidential Commission on Good Government (PCGG) against former President Ferdinand Marcos and wife Imelda Marcos for insufficient evidence over P1 billion worth of alleged ill-gotten wealth.

Based on the decision of the anti-graft court, the PCGG failed to present strong evidence against the Marcoses.

“The plaintiff Republic failed to prove by preponderance of evidence that the defendants by themselves, or in conspiracy with defendants Marcoses, obtained ill-gotten wealth,” the decision reads.

“Lastly, the court also finds that the defendants failed to prove their respective counterclaims alluding to alleged damages sustained.”

According to the Malacañang, the PCGG can still submit an appeal in the Supreme Court.

Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said the Marcoses should still be accountable if there is proof of ill-gotten wealth.

“Kung ill-gotten, we should always run after, basta ill-gotten (If it is ill-gotten we should always run after, as long as it is ill-gotten). It should be the policy of all governments to run after ill-gotten wealth,” he said.

The Sandiganbayan previously dismissed the P102 billion worth of forfeiture case against the Marcoses and other respondents last August.—AAC (with reports from Rosalie Coz)

Roxas tells Enrile: Public office ban is for those facing plunder charges

Robie de Guzman   •   September 19, 2019

Former Senate President Juan Ponce Enrile and former DILG Secretary Mar Roxas

MANILA, Philippines – Former Interior and Local Government Secretary Mar Roxas on Wednesday twitted former Senate President Juan Ponce Enrile, saying those accused of plunder or stealing from government coffers should be the ones banned from seeking or holding public office.

“Ahem. Yung dapat barred from public service at makulong, yung may kaso ng plunder,” Roxas said in a Twitter post.

Roxas’ remark was an apparent response to Enrile’s statement that Roxas and detained Senator Leila de Lima should be “disqualified forever from holding public office” for the mess brought about by the implementing rules and regulations (IRR) they drafted for the Republic Act 10592 or the good conduct time allowance (GCTA) law.

READ: Enrile wants De Lima, Roxas perpetually barred from public office for GCTA mess

Enrile earlier blamed Roxas and De Lima, then Justice Secretary, for the irregularities in the implementation of the law which led to the questionable release of 1,914 heinous crimes convicts since its enactment in 2013.

“They should be disqualified forever from holding public office. Sila ang may kasalanan sila ang gumawa eh the people below them are being guided of what they did,” Enrile said in a media interview at the Senate on Wednesday.

The former lawmaker said the law clearly states that convicts involved in heinous crimes are among those excluded from availing of the early release rule based on good conduct credits.

Enrile said the IRR crafted by De Lima and Roxas, which supposedly added heinous crime convicts as GCTA beneficiaries, was “unconstitutional and void ab initio (from the beginning).”

But according to Roxas, the IRR faithfully reflects the RA 10592 and the Revised Penal Code, stressing that each provision corresponds to specific parts and paragraphs of the statute particularly on exclusion of inmates convicted of heinous crimes.

“Allegations that the IRR has strayed from the law on which it is based are unquestionably unfounded,” Roxas explained in a letter responding to the Ombudsman’s request on the matter.

Roxas cited Rule 4, Section 6 of the law’s IRR on provisional release while under preventive imprisonment, which states that: “Whenever an accused has undergone preventive imprisonment for a period equal to the imposable maximum imprisonment of the offense charged to which he may be sentenced and his case is not yet decided, he shall be released immediately without prejudice to the continuation of the trial thereof or the proceeding on appeal, if the same is under review, except for the following: ‘recidivist, habitual delinquent, escapee, person charged with heinous crimes’.”

Enrile, 95, is facing a P172-million plunder charge before the Anti-Graft court in relation to the P10 billion pork barrel scam which involved businesswoman Janet Napoles and other public officials.

He is currently out of prison after the Supreme Court granted him temporary liberty in 2015 for humanitarian reasons.  

Enrile wants De Lima, Roxas perpetually barred from public office for GCTA mess

Robie de Guzman   •   September 18, 2019

Former Interior and Local Government Secretary Mar Roxas and Senator Leila de Lima

MANILA, Philippines – Former Senate President Juan Ponce Enrile on Wednesday said that detained Senator Leila de Lima and former Interior and Local Government Secretary Mar Roxas should be perpetually barred from seeking public office for the alleged confusion created by the implementing rules and regulations (IRR) they crafted for the good conduct time allowance (GCTA) law.

Enrile blamed De Lima and Roxas for the irregularities in the implementation of the law which led to the questionable release of 1,914 heinous crimes convicts.

“They should be disqualified forever from holding public office,” the former lawmaker said when asked by reporters at the Senate about the possible liability of De Lima and Roxas over the mess.

The former senator said the Republic Act 10592, which expanded the GCTA given to inmates, clearly states that convicts involved in heinous crimes are among those excluded from availing of the early release rule based on good conduct credits.

Enrile said the IRR crafted by De Lima and Roxas, which supposedly added heinous crime convicts as GCTA beneficiaries, was “unconstitutional and void ab initio (from the beginning).”

Enrile was the Senate president when the GCTA law was approved in 2013.

“Sila ang may kasalanan sila ang gumawa eh the people below them are being guided by what they did,” he said.

The 95-year old former lawmaker said heinous convicts wrongly released under the GCTA law who continue to refuse to surrender to authorities could now be hunted since they are not supposed to be released in the first place.

President Rodrigo Duterte earlier set a 15-day deadline for these convicts to surrender for investigation and recomputation of their good conduct credits.

The ultimatum, which Duterte issued on Sept. 4, will lapse on Sept. 19 (Thursday).

The president earlier warned GCTA-freed heinous criminals who remain at large will be treated as fugitives from justice if they failed to comply with the order. He also pushed through with his plan to offer P1 million bounty for the capture of each heinous crime convicts.

The Office of the Ombudsman earlier asked De Lima and Roxas to explain or clarify in writing the implementing rules they drafted for the law as part of their ongoing investigation on the matter.

But De Lima said the Ombudsman has no jurisdiction or authority over her as a sitting senator, citing Section 21 of the Ombudsman Act of 1989.

She also said she has no official capacity to reply to the Ombudsman’s query on the GCTA issue as she is no longer the Secretary of Justice.

“[I] would like to clarify that I am no longer the Secretary of Justice. I am now a Senator of the Republic. I cannot in my official capacity as a Senator reply to a query that exclusively pertains to official business of the Department of Justice whose present Secretary is Menardo Guevarra,” De Lima said in a statement.

READ: De Lima says Ombudsman request for explanation on GCTA rules ‘highly irregular’

Guevarra, however, refused to blame any body about the mess, saying they already revised the law’s implementing rules to specifically state who among the convicts are ineligible from availing GCTA grants.

“We at the DOJ won’t dwell on things that had come to pass, much less waste our time on an unproductive blame game. The revised IRR reflects our best interpretation of RA 10592 as it was actually crafted, finalized, and signed,” he said in a statement. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Grace Casin)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

(+632) 8920.8336 (Fax)

info@untvweb.com (General inquiries)

support@untvweb.com

UNTV News and Rescue Emergency Hotlines:

LANDLINE (+632) 8396-8688

ADVERTISE WITH US

(+632) 8 442.6244 Loc. 143, 144, 162, 164

advertising@untvweb.com

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.