Emergency Hotlines: LANDLINE (+63) 2 911 – 8688

Garbage clutter Manila Bay as rains continue

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Monday, June 11th, 2018

 

MANILA, Philippines – Piles of garbage float on Manila Bay in Roxas Boulevard as rains continue to pour since the weekend.

Personnel from  Manila City’s Department of Public Service on Monday said they have been collecting at least a truckload of rubbish every day since the official start of the rainy season last week as declared by weather bureau PAGASA.

Items recovered from the trash include styrofoam and plastic materials as well as bamboo trunks believed to be from damaged fish cages in nearby lakes.

The Manila City hall has been continuously clearing the Bay since 5:00 a.m. Monday, June 11. – Asher Cadapan Jr.

 

Tags: ,

Monsoon rains spawn sea of garbage in Manila Bay

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Monday, August 13th, 2018

Trash fill the stretch of Manila Baywalk as raging waves spew garbage from Manila Bay during the onslaught of monsoon rains.

 

MANILA, Philippines – Waves of trash have accumulated in Manila Bay in the aftermath of a heavy downpour over the weekend.

Piles of garbage were seen reaching Roxas Boulevard eventually obstructing traffic.

Volunteers from the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA), the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) and the Manila City government continue to collect mounts of garbage believed to have come from various parts of Metro Manila and nearby provinces.

 Lahat ng basura na umanod na hanggang Roxas Boulevard ay kailangang ligpitin natin at mapanatiling malinis ang Roxas Boulevard,” said ASEC Celine Pialago, MMDA Spokesperson.

Since Saturday, clearing personnel were able to collect up to 10 truckloads of garbage from Manila Bay.

Most of them were items made of plastic and styrofoam as well as bamboo poles believed to have been disentangled from damage fish cages in nearby areas.

The MMDA expects the clearing operation along the stretch of Manila Baywalk area to last until next week. – Asher Cadapan Jr. / Marje Pelayo

Tags: , ,

Clearing, cleaning operations in Manila to continue even after 2017 ASEAN Summit

by UNTV News   |   Posted on Thursday, November 9th, 2017

MANILA, Philippines – The clearing operations are still underway along Roxas Boulevard and other major thoroughfares in Manila as part of the preparations for the ASEAN Summit.

Since last week, Manila Police have been on alert, day in and day out.

Task Force Manila Clean-up Chief Che Borromeo said they still go back to areas that they have cleared ahead to ensure that they are free of street vendors and informal settlers.

“Mayroon kasi tayong mga lehitimong street vendors. Pinapayagan naman natin sila basta tama lang iyong lugar nila. Panatilihin nilang malinis at inaayos naman natin sila kung saan sila pupwede at hindi pwede . . . iyong iba hindi talaga pupwede lalo na iyong Roxas Boulevard magkakaroon ng lock down. Hindi pwedeng . . . magtinda doon dahil talagang guwardyado,” Borromeo said.

(We have legitimate street vendors. We allow them to operate their business as long as it’s in a proper location. They should keep the area clean and we will place them accordingly, but there are areas that are really not allowed particularly along Roxas Boulevard, there’s going to be a lock-down. They are not allowed to sell there because it will be heavily guarded.)

The displaced street vendors, however, will be given alternative areas in the barangays where they can still sell.

One of the major plans of the Manila LGU is to maintain the order and cleanliness of rehabilitated areas.

The LGU wants to set an example in strictly implementing order in Manila that is why they plan to make this a continuing program even after the ASEAN Summit.

“Pagkatapos ng ASEAN dapat i- maintain natin iyong mga lugar na hindi dapat puntahan ng mga … homeless, iyong mga vendors katulad ng Roxas Boulevard. Kapag andoon sila unang- una peligro. Pangalawa hindi maganda sa tao dahil ito iyong Baywalk na tinatawag natin,” Borromeo said.

(After ASEAN, we should continue to keep the homeless and vendors away from certain areas such as Roxas Boulevard. Firstly, it’s dangerous for them to stay there. Secondly, it does not look good because this is the Baywalk.)

The Task Force Clean Manila appeals for public cooperation as Manila is considered to be the face representing the country.

Meanwhile, the Philippine Coastguard on Wednesday started to implement the no-sail zone along Manila Bay and no-fly zone in Metro and Mega Manila, particularly at Rizal Park, Sangley Point in Cavite, Plaridel Airport in Bulacan, and the Subic International Airport in Olongapo. – Aiko Miguel | UNTV News & Rescue

Tags: , , , , ,

Third suspect in foiled Manila bombing, arrested

by UNTV News   |   Posted on Wednesday, December 7th, 2016

Third suspect of the foiled bombing near U.S. Embassy in Manila.

Third suspect of the foiled bombing near U.S. Embassy in Manila.

 

(UPDATE) — The third suspect in the foiled bombing along Roxas Boulevard is now under the custody of the Philippine National Police following his arrest on December 3 in Bulacan.

National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) chief P/Dir. Oscar Albayalde identified the suspect as Mohammad Jumao-as alias ‘Modie’, an x-ray technician living in Sta. Ana, Bulacan.

The suspect hid after his two companions had been arrested. Jumao-as resurfaced after assuming that the police had already stopped searching for him.

Authorities immediately filed charges against Jumao-as after finding in his possession a calibre .45 gun, and a hand grenade.

“He was already charge of illegal possession of firearms and illegal possession of explosives,” Albayalde said.

Albayalde said, a CCTV footage showed Jumao-as as among those who left the improvised explosive device (IED) at Luneta, the first area targetted by the group.

“The three were here on that Sunday night while conducting surveillance where they can leave the IED. In this series of footages, you can see that they are walking on the vicinity of Luneta where they want to leave the IED. They started to walk separately until they proceeded to Baywalk along Roxas Blvd,” said Albayalde.

Authorities are still searching for two other suspects who are also members of the Ansar Al Khalifah.

Despite this, the NCRPO assured the public of a safe holiday season, further noting that their men are on alert to guard areas in Metro Manila. — UNTV News & Rescue

 

Tags: , , , , , , ,