Free OFW ID available beginning Wednesday

UNTV News   •   July 11, 2017   •   38048

IMAGE_UNTV_NEWS_071017_OFW ID

MANILA, Philippines — Starting July 12, the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) will launch the OFW ID card with its partner agencies such as SSS, DBP, PHILPOST, among others.

OFWs (overseas Filipino workers) can avail of the ID cards for free. They just need to go to POEA’s website to fill out the necessary information.

“So this is for OFWs who are scheduled to leave and for applicants,” said DOLE Usec. Dominador Say said.

Overseas workers don’t need to pay for the processing of their ID card, which will be delivered by Phil Post to their respective addresses.

“One of the costs of hiring an OFW is the ID. This for the benefit of the OFWs anyway so the employers must shoulder the expenses for it,” USec. Say said.

DOLE targets to provide ID cards to more than six million OFWs.

OFW seafarer Vuson Gil Taala is among those who would benefit from the new system.

He has been a seafarer for more than 20 years now.

Taala believes the new system will help in the faster processing of documents of Filipino migrant workers, especially those who set to leave for abroad.

“So far for now, there’s no problem because everything’s computerized. You can look it up on the website if an agency is really registered with POEA,”  Taala said.

Another OFW seafarer, Ryan Guevarra, has been working in the kitchen of a ship. Ryan said he can save more time and avail a number of privileges with the ID card.

“It will be a big help because instead of processing documents, you would just need to present the ID which has privileges. It will be favorable to OFWs,” he said.

An ID card will serve as a proof that the documents of an OFW are legally processed by POEA.

Along with the Overseas Employment Certificate, it will also serve as the travel exit clearance and is valid for up to two years.

Likewise, an OFW with an ID card will no longer need to pay for travel tax and terminal fee. – Aiko Miguel | UNTV News & Rescue

SSS asks members to transact online to keep physical distancing in branches

Marje Pelayo   •   June 1, 2020

MANILA, Philippines – The Social Security System (SSS) offices reopened on Monday (June 1) after more than two months of temporary closure due to strict implementation of community quarantine measures in Metro Manila and other areas prompted by the coronavi/rus disease (COVID-19). 

At its main office in Diliman, Quezon City, members crowded the SSS premises to transact different claims and loan applications that have been delayed since the outbreak started this year. 

Security personnel were all eyes on the waiting clients constantly reminding them to maintain physical distancing.

A large box is placed at the entrance where members may place their application forms. 

Floor markings are also in place inside the office premises reminding clients where to properly stand when in queue. 

A specific area, meanwhile, is allotted for payment transactions. 

Despite the health risks, several senior citizens opted to patiently wait in line to process their applications for pension. 

“Kasi antagal na akong naghihintay doon sa ayudang sinasabi nila hanggang ngayon wala. Kaya personal na akong nagpunta [I have been waiting for the assistance that they told us which I have not received until now],” lamented a senior citizen, David Alano.

“Isa-submit na lang po. Naabutan ako ng lockdown dapat noong April. Kailangan ko kasi may maintenance ako [I just need to submit it. I was supposed to file in April but it was delayed due to the lockdown. I need this because of my maintenance],” said Janice Labasan, also a senior citizen. 

Due to the influx of clients, SSS is encouraging its members to process their applications or transact online to avoid large crowds in branches and keep protected from the virus. 

“Dinagdagan namin, marami na kaming ilalagay na serbisyo online para mabawasan ang nagta-transact sa branches [We have added several services online to minimize transactions in branches],” said SSS Spokesperson Fernando Nicolas.

Retirement pwede na online. Iyong maternity benefit claim natin sa online na rin. So marami na pong mawawalang serbisyo sa branch at pupunta na sa online [Retirement (claims), maternity benefit claims can be done online. We have minimized the services in branches and transferred them online],” he added. 

Meanwhile, SSS said that payment of accumulated contributions for employers, self employed, voluntary members, household members is extended until June 15. MNP (with details from Rey Pelayo)

380 distressed Filipinos from Kuwait to return home this week – DOLE

Robie de Guzman   •   June 1, 2020

MANILA, Philippines – Hundreds of Filipino workers repatriated from Kuwait are set to return to the country this week, the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) said.

In a statement on Sunday, DOLE cited a report from the Philippine Overseas Labor Office (POLO) in Kuwait stating that 380 distressed overseas Filipino workers (OFW) will arrive in Manila on June 1 and June 3.

They will be repatriated via two chartered flights, each carrying 190 OFWs, arranged by the Kuwaiti government.

The repatriation of this batch is part of the State of Kuwait’s Amnesty Program which started in April 2020, DOLE said.

According to DOLE Undersecretary Claro Arellano, 2,277 Filipinos were repatriated by the Kuwaiti government following the March 30 implementation of its Amnesty Program covering all expatriates with expired residency visa including those with absconding cases provided that they have no travel ban.

“Kuwaiti government shouldered the airfare costs, including provision for food and accommodation to qualified OFW availees pending their departure to the Philippines,” Arellano said.

DOLE said closely coordinated with the Public Authority for Manpower and the Ministry of Interior, through the POLO in Kuwait, to ensure that qualified OFWs are given priority access on the amnesty program of the host government which ended on April 30.

DOLE reminds companies, employees of COVID-19 prevention protocols as work resumes Monday

Marje Pelayo   •   May 29, 2020

MANILA, Philippines — Metro Manila and some parts of the country will begin the implementation of general community quarantine (GCQ) on Monday (June 1).

Alongside the shift from modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ)to GCQ is the reopening of companies and establishments with a number of employees returning to their workplaces.

Based on records by the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) around 2.8 million workers stopped working, some were laid off, due to the impact of coronavirus disease (COVID-1) pandemic on the country’s economy. 

Thus, many of those whose income were affected during the quarantine will need to work harder to recover their finances with the reopening of industries and sectors.

“Considering na matagal silang nawalan ng trabaho [Considering the length of time that they have been idle], you can just imagine the rush of workers kasi no-work-no-pay,” Bello noted.

“Now that they can work, for sure they will do everything within their means to report back to office,” he added.

The Secretary also expressed concern about the workers’ dilemma over the limited operation of mass transportation.

Street sweeper Lolita Danieles just returned to work on Tuesday (May 26) after two months of staying at home. 

However, she struggles with transportation as she has to pay P70 for a tricycle ride from Payatas to Litex, just halfway to her workplace in Timog Avenue.

“Minsan ang bus pumapara kami hindi kami hinihintuan. Maghintay talaga kami. Tyaga lang, [There are buses passing by but they do not stop. We need to wait patiently,]” she said.

“Kanina nga lang hinintuan kami nung kotse, siningil sa amin tig P50 isa, [Earlier a car owner offered us a ride but charged us P50 each],” she said.

Meanwhile, an employee of a construction company, Crispin Acincieno said he opted for a two-way personal service from his home in Bulacan to his work in Quezon City instead of commuting. 

“Definitely hindi muna. Kasi hindi pa naman sigurado. Hindi pa naman 100% safe na mag-public transport [Not yet for now, definitely, because it’s not yet sure if public transportations are 100% safe],” he said. 

Secretary Bello reminds employers and employees to always observe health protocols to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

These include the regular wearing of masks, temperature checking, setting up disinfection stations with alcohol and foot baths as well as maintaining proper social distance. 

Ating sinisiguro na ang ating mga worker na nakapasok ay ligtas sa contamination at transmission ng COVID-19 [We want to make sure, that our returning employees and workers are safe from contamination and transmission of COVID-19],” Bello said. MNP (with reports from Rey Pelayo)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.