France funds study on proposed Metro Manila cable car system
Marje Pelayo • November 15, 2018 • 2971
IN PHOTO: The Department of Transportation (DOTr), with the help of the French Government, jumpstarts the feasibility study for an urban cable car project in Metro Manila, in a program held at the DOTr Clark Office in Pampanga today, 14 November 2018.
MANILA, Philippine – The Philippines and the French government has begun the conduct of a feasibility study on the proposed cable car system for Metro Manila.
Representatives from both governments kicked off the first technical meeting for the €450,000 (P27M) transport project on Wednesday (November 14) at the regional office of the Department of Transportation (DOTr) in Clark, Pampanga.
Based on the initial discussions, the technical working group proposed the construction of the cable car system in Metro Manila.
Transport Secretary Arthur Tugade, however, suggested that the cable car system be established in La Union-Baguio route or in Caticlan-Boracay route. – UNTV News and Rescue
MANILA, Philippines – The City government of Baguio said it is currently studying the possibility of putting up a cable car system as an alternative transportation to ease the traffic congestion in the country’s summer capital.
In a statement, the city said it is coordinating with the Department of Transportation (DOTr) for the proposal to set up a cable car system that would link the prime tourist spot to Pugo in La Union.
City Mayor Benjamin Magalong announced during the Sept. 23 Executive-Legislative meeting that DOTr Secretary Arthur Tugade offered for the city to enter into an agreement for the cable car line project.
The cable car system, first broached by Tugade in 2016, was reportedly the subject of a P26-million study funded by the French government targeted for completion this year.
Magalong also said that Tugade offered to help the city should it decide to pursue the monorail project.
The city government said the Department of Science and Technology-Cordillera earlier proposed the multi-billion monorail project that will connect Baguio to La Trinidad town in Benguet.
A pre-feasibility study showed that the 5.2-kilometer line of the Automated Guideway Transit (AGT) from the provincial capital to the Slaughterhouse Compound in Baguio would cost P3.8 billion while the 2.1-kilometer line from the Bonifacio rotunda up to the SM City Baguio passing through the central business district area would require P2.9 billion.
The Department of Transportation (DOTr) on Thursday (Sept. 5) appealed to the House of Representatives (HOR) to grant emergency powers to President Rodrigo Duterte.
This is to give the government more latitude in addressing the traffic problems, particularly in Metro Manila.
While DOTr Secretary Arthur Tugade agrees to the lawmakers that several traffic strategies can be implemented even without any grant of emergency powers to the executive, he said such implementation will be slow and might not still be completed even after their term in office has ended.
Tugade further said government projects that are aimed at solving the traffic problems in the country may even be stalled by the long processes in the bureaucracy and even by some laws, such as, on the Right of Way.
To which some members of the House disagree.
“In other countries, no emergency powers were granted to the executive to solve the traffic congestion,” said Albay 1st District Representative Edcel Lagman.
Tugade, on the other hand, said, “emergency power is not forever. It has a defined time. In fact, sinasabi ho namin noon at uulitin ko ngayon, yung emergency power noon was between two to three years kung naibigay ho noon yan [we’d been saying ever since, and I’m saying it again, the emergency powers (we’ve been asking then) was between two and three years, if it had been granted then].”
Earlier on Thursday, the DOTr presented to the House their P147-billion proposed budget for 2020.
A major portion of this will be allocated to the railway sector with P108-billion budget, or equivalent to 98.78% of the department’s total budget.
The department believes that improving the railway sector will be a big help in easing the transportation problems not just in Metro Manila but in other key areas in the country as well. (from the report of Vincent Arboleda) /mbmf
MANILA, Philippines – Hatchback-type and sub-compact cars will now be allowed to operate as transport network vehicle service (TNVS) units, the Department of Transportation (DOTr) said on Friday.
DOTr Secretary Arthur Tugade signed the department order which was announced by Transport Assistant Secretary Goddess Libiran to media.
“Sec. Tugade signs the Department Order permanently allowing hatchbacks and sub-compact cars as TNVS units,” Libiran told reporters in a message.
A copy of the order has yet to be furnished to the media.
The formal signing of the department order follows Tugade’s directive on Thursday for the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) to implement its Memorandum Circular (MC) No. 2018-005, which allows hatchback units to operate as public transport on certain conditions.
Tugade issued the instruction following complaints from stakeholders on the matter.
“Kung kailangang baguhin ang ilang dokumento, baguhin. Kung kailangang i-improve, dapat i-improve,” Tugade said in a statement.
Under MC 2018-005, all accredited hatchback units shall be allowed to operate as public transport provided that they only operate during the transition period of three (3) years, only in Metro Manila, and charge a lower fare.
However, only hatchback units that were among the 55,000 units in the masterlist and whose applications were filed from March 5 to December 15, 2018 are entitled to the benefit granted by MC 2018-005.
DOTr Undersecretary for Road Transport and Infrastructure Mark Richmund de Leon earlier said the LTFRB will need to amend its memorandum to allow the permanent classification of hatchbacks as TNVS units, and to re-enlist TNVS units that were previously removed from the masterlist.
He further cited that the inclusion of hatchbacks in the TNVS fleet will greatly benefit the commuting public.
“We are giving the commuters their transport options. Kung gusto niya na mas mura ang biyahe niya, mag-hatchback siya,” he said.
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.