Former Senator Jinggoy Estrada out on bail over plunder and graft cases

admin   •   September 17, 2017   •   5002

Jinggoy Estrada

MANILA, Philippines — Former Senator Jinggoy Estrada was very grateful for his temporary release after he was detained for more than three years in PNP Custodial Center in Camp Crame.

It was past 12:00 in the afternoon last Saturday when the former senator was released from prison. He went straight to Sandiganbayan to sign several documents and receive his release order.

He said he will tour different parts of the country to thank all of his supporters.

“I am thankful for the magistrates of the Sandiganbayan for allowing my temporary release. This is a huge thing not only for me or my family but also for our supporters,” said Estrada.

After his release, the Estrada family joined together for lunch.

The father of Jinggoy, former president and current Manila Mayor Joseph Estrada affirmed that his son is innocent.

“It also happened to me, but just stay calm and fight it out don’t surrender, you can see all the things they did to me but I’m still in, I’m still the mayor of Manila,” said Mayor Estrada.

However, despite being thankful for his release Jinggoy is still feeling sad because his friend, former Senator Bong Revilla is still detained.

But he believes that Revilla can also attain freedom soon.

“ ‘Stay strong’, I said. He [Revilla] said, ‘I can do this,’ and I said I am very confident that sooner or later he will also have his freedom,” said the former senator.

On Friday, Sandiganbayan ruled to allow a P1.33 million bail to be paid by Estrada regarding the plunder and graft cases he is facing. — UNTV News & Rescue

 

 

13 senators to possibly favor reimposition of death penalty

Maris Federez   •   July 25, 2019

The reinstatement of the death penalty may have a glimmer of hope to be passed in the Senate with a seeming majority vote.

Thirteen senators have, so far, manifested to vote for it which include Senate President Vicente Sotto III, Senators Bong Go, Ronald Dela Rosa, Sherwin Gatchalian, Aquilino Pimentel III, Panfilo Lacson, Lito Lapid, Imee Marcos, Bong Revilla, Francis Tolentino, Cynthia Villar, Pia Cayetano and Manny Pacquiao.

“Basta death penalty, kahit anong paraan, lethal injection , kahit ano, basta death penalty [As long as it’s death penalty, however way it is done. Lethal injection, whatever, as long as it’s death penalty],” said Senator Manny Pacquiao.

Thirteen is enough a number to have the bill passed in the higher chamber of Congress.

However, this could still narrow down as the versions they are pursuing vary, with most of them wanting to limit the imposition of the death penalty to high-level drug trafficking only.

This is in contrary to what President Rodrigo Duterte is pushing which is also to include plunder.

The senators are also divided as to how the said capital punishment must be carried out.

On the other hand, ten senators comprised of Senators Franklin Drilon, Risa Hontiveros, Leila De Lima, Francis Pangilinan, Juan Miguel Zubiri, Richard Gordon, Grace Poe, Nancy Binay, Ralph Recto and Joel Villanueva have openly opposed the bill.

Senator Sonny Angara has yet to state his position as he prefers to hear the debates regarding the death penalty first. (with reports from Nel Maribojoc) /mbmf

Outgoing senators reveal plans after Senate

Marje Pelayo   •   May 22, 2019

Upper row: (L-R ) Senators Antonio Trillanes IV, Bam Aquino, Francis Escudero Lower row: (L-R) Senators Gringo Honasan, Joseph Victor Ejercito, Loren Legarda

MANILA, Philippines – Six senators of the 17th Congress are soon to leave the Senate.

Senators Francis Escudero, Gringo Honasan, Loren Legarda and Antonio Trillanes IV have until June 30 to serve their last term.

Senators Bam Aquino and Joseph Victor Ejercito, meanwhile, needed to leave following their defeat in the 2019 midterm polls.

Escudero may be leaving the Senate but he remains in public office after winning as governor of Sorsogon.

Legarda, likewise, is shifting to local governance after being proclaimed as the new representative of Antique.

For his part, Honasan said he is still hoping for President Rodrigo Duterte’s appointment of him as head of the Department of Information and Communications Technology (DICT).

“It’s up in the air. That will be decided after June 30 by the appointing authority,” Honasan said.

Meanwhile, Senators Aquino and Ejercito said that their next plan to enjoy their private lives with their respective families.

“Ngayon ang ating destiny ay maiba hindi man magpatuloy dito. I guess na mahalaga right now just to take steps back. Spend more time with your kids and try to determine how to help the country in other ways,” Aquino said.

“Maraming paraan para tumulong sa ating bayan,” he added.

“Tulungan ko muna ang wife ko sa mga businesses naming,” Ejercito said when asked about his plans following his exit from Senate.

He admitted, however, that he regretted the outcome of running against his brother Jinggoy Estrada.

“Ang regrets ko…ang pinakamabigat kong problema yung dalawa kaming magkapatid na tumakbo,” Ejercito said.

“Sana kinausap ko na lang. Nag-usap kami ng father ko, ng pamilya na nasabi ko na sana ang aking concern. Ilang beses ko sinabi na ito ang mangyayari na pwede kaming mahila lahat pababa. Exactly ito  na nga ang nangyari,” he added.

Trillanes, meanwhile, said he is thinking of going back to school.

The controversial senator earlier said he will remain critical of the Duterte administration even outside of Senate. — Marje Pelayo (with reports from Nel Maribojoc)

Estrada concedes, asks supporters to rally behind Isko Moreno

Robie de Guzman   •   May 15, 2019

Outgoing Manila Mayor Joseph “Erap” Estrada | Courtesy : PVI-PRESS / Daniel Iglesias mylensitivity

MANILA, Philippines – Outgoing Manila Mayor Joseph “Erap” Estrada has conceded his defeat to newly-elected mayor Franscisco “Isko Moreno” Domagoso.

In a statement released late Tuesday, Estrada congratulated Domagoso on his win and promised to prepare for a smooth transition of government.

“The people of Manila have spoken. The new leadership of the city will be coming in and I will prepare the smooth turnover of the city government,” he said.

“I congratulate the new mayor and I wish him all the best for the good of the people of Manila,” he added.

Estrada lost to Domagoso by a wide margin in the Manila mayoral race. He received 210,605 votes against Domagoso’s 357,925, based on votes from 100 percent of election returns from clustered precincts.

He also expressed gratitude to those who helped and stood by him throughout the 50 years of his political career.

“By June 30, my 50 years in politics and public service will come to an end with sterling colors of honesty and genuine concerns for the poor,” he said in a statement.

“I wish to thank all those who stood by me for the last 5 decades of my political life,” he added.

Estrada joined the political arena in 1969 while he was still a popular film actor. He ran and won as mayor of San Juan City and was succeeded by his sons Jinggoy and John Victor “JV” Ejercito, followed by JV’s mother, Guia Gomez, when he sought national positions. He first ran as senator in 1987, then vice president in 1992, and finally president in 1998.

He was ousted in 2001 over corruption charges and convicted of plunder in 2007. He was later pardoned and returned to politics to become Manila mayor in 2013.

But his years of foray in politics suddenly came to an end after his defeat against Moreno. The Estrada-Ejercito clan’s 50-year reign in San Juan was also cut off after his granddaughter, Janella, failed in her mayoral bid against former vice mayor Francis Zamora.

READ: End of an era? Estrada-Ejercito clan suffers crushing defeat in 2019 polls

Estrada also called on his supporters to rally behind the mayor-elect for the betterment of the city.

“I am calling all my supporters to rally behind the new leadership of the city,” he said.

“Hangad natin ang katagumpayan ng bagong liderato para sa kabutihan ng nakararami (We hope for the success of the new leadership for the welfare of the majority ,” he added.

He also said that he will leave the new leader with a city with no debt because he was able to clear it during his term.

“Taas-noo tayong lalabas ng city hall dahil nabayaran natin ang lahat ng pagkakautang na P4.4B na aking dinatnan noong 2013,” he said

(I will leave the city hall with head held high because we were able to pay the P4.4 billion debt that I inherited in 2013.)

“Dinatnan ko ang lungsod na bangkarote. Sa pagtatapos ng aking termino, iiwanan ko ang lungsod na may P14 bilyong pondo bunga ng masinop na pamamahala at maingat na paggasta sa perang pag-aari ng mga mamamayan,” he said.

(I inherited a bankrupt city. As my term comes to an end, I will leave a city with P14 billion fund due to good governance and careful spending of the people’s money)

He did not say whether he will retire once his term ends or plans to make a political comeback. He just said that “there’s always life after politics.”  

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+63) 396-8688 (Tel)

(+63) 2 920.8336 (Fax)

info@untvweb.com (General inquiries)

support@untvweb.com

UNTV News and Rescue Emergency Hotlines:

LANDLINE (+63) 396-8688

ADVERTISE WITH US

(+63) 2 442.6244 Loc. 143, 144, 162, 164

advertising@untvweb.com

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.