Foreign assistance for Manila’s development continues to pour in

Maris Federez   •   August 15, 2019   •   353

Manila City Mayor Francisco “Isko Moreno” Domagoso (right) speaks with European Ambassador Franz Jessen (center)

Help from other countries continues to pour in for Manila’s development as ambassadors come and pay courtesy to Mayor Francisco “Isko Moreno” Domagoso.

On Wednesday (August 13), European Ambassador Franz Jessen made a courtesy call to Moreno and expressed his country’s support to the mayor’s plans for the city’s development.

This is the first time that a European ambassador has paid the city of Manila a visit.

Jessen also invited Moreno to go to Europe for him to see the “best practices” that he may also implement in Manila.

“I hope that the Mayor would bring that back to Manila and make it the best city to live in,” the envoy said.

Jessen said the European Union has been helping with the rehabilitation of the Pasig River and that it is imperative that the assistance continues.

Moreno, in turn, said: “We’re looking forward to any exchange of culture, any types of help with the European countries and you’re always welcome to the City of Manila.”

New Zealand Ambassador David Strachan (left) pays courtesy to Mayor Isko Moreno at the Manila Cityhall on August 14, 2019.

After the European envoy’s visit, Mayor Isko received to his office New Zealand Ambassador David Strachan.

Strachan is the 10th ambassador to pay a courtesy call on Moreno since July 1.

The New Zealand envoy told Moreno of his plans to give assistance to the city’s disaster management.

The New Zealand government will shoulder the expenses for the short-term course that it will give to the Manila Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office.

“We have a lot in common in terms of achieving one of the goals that President Duterte talked about on the ease of doing business,” Strachan said.

“Ang swerte namin talagang bawat bansa na nagpupunta rito [We are so fortunate that each country that visited here as] represented by their ambassadors are really offering assistance to the City of Manila. Tapos nagkakataon pa ano pa siya iba-ibang problema ang inaayos [And it turns out that each help seeks to deal with different problems (of the city)],” Moreno said.

Aside from Europe and New Zealand, the countries that have sent their ambassadors to pay courtesy on Mayor Moreno are the United States of America, Japan, Panama, Saudi Arabia, Israel, Singapore, and Russia. (from the report of April Cenedoza) /mbmf

Clearing operations, not competition among local chief execs – Mayor Isko

Maris Federez   •   September 18, 2019

Manila City Mayor Francisco “Isko Moreno” Domagoso

In just a little over a week, the 60-day period that the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) has set for the local chief executives to clean the streets of Metro Manila will come to an end.

But Manila mayor Francisco “Isko Moreno” Domagoso has admitted that they have a long way to go to completely clean the streets of the almost 900 barangays in the city.

“I’m not doing it for my fellow mayors, I’m doing it for the people of Manila,” he said.

Mayor Isko, however, stated that he is happy with the accomplishments of other cities in Metro Manila that have completed clearing their streets of obstructions.

 “I’m happy for them but this is not a competition among mayors,” he added.

The DILG, however, that no Metro Manila cities had been 100% compliant in clearing the streets.

Moreno admitted that several areas in Manila, such as Quiapo and Tondo, remain a big problem for him.

But he assured that he will not waver from his resolve.

“Whether mameet namin o hindi naman namin mameet, it doesn’t matter because we will continue.”

Moreno pointed to the lack of governance caused the return of the obstructions in some areas in Manila in the past.

The local chief executive, however, warned that he will file charges against the barangay officials who will fail to accomplish their tasks and submit the inventories of their areas of concern. (from the report of Harlene Delgado) /mbmf

Mayor Isko threatens closure of malls, establishments selling stolen mobile phones

Marje Pelayo   •   September 16, 2019

Stolen smart phones being sold at some commercial establishments in Manila

MANILA, Philippines – Mayor Isko Moreno Domagoso has warned malls and commercial establishments across the city not to sell stolen cellular phones.

This, after about 148 units of alleged stolen phones were confiscated by the Manila Police District – Special Mayor’s Reaction Team at two known malls in the city.

The Mayor presented before the media on Monday (September 16) five suspects who were arrested in the act of buying and selling alleged second hand but stolen cellphones.

Domagoso said such an act is a violation of Presidential Decree No. 1612 or the Anti-Fencing Law.

“Tigilan ninyo na ang pagtitinda ng mga nakaw na bagay (Stop selling stolen items),” he warned.

“Huwag ninyong sasabihin sa amin na hindi ninyo alam (Don’t tell us that you are not aware of it),” he added.

The official has given the management of Tutuban Center Mall and Isetann Recto Mall three days to check on stall owners and seek legal permits for the used items they are selling.

Otherwise, they will be asked to close down, Domagoso warned.

Earlier, the management of Tutuban Center Mall immediately heeded to Domagoso’s order.

He also calls on consumers to stop patronizing stolen items.

He said theft is one of the common problems among minors, such as the case of a teen who was nabbed for snatching cellphones and is now under the custody of the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) Manila office.

“Ayaw kong may iiyak na namang nanay, may iiyak na namang tatay, dahil nasaksak ‘yung anak niya, namatay ‘yung anak niya dahil inagawan ng cellphone (I don’t want to hear another mother or father grieving for their child who died because someone snatched their cellphone),” the Mayor noted.

The Manila Police has launched a manhunt for alias “Bebeng” who is said to be the receiver or seller of the snatched mobile phones.

Meanwhile, Domagoso has ordered the city’s Business Permits and Licensing Office to inspect all malls across Manila to determine and report those who sell snatched mobile phones. – MNP (with details from Harlene Delgado)

Duterte commends Mayor Isko’s efforts to clean up Manila

Robie de Guzman   •   September 11, 2019

Manila City Mayor Francis “Isko Moreno” Domagoso

MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte has commended Manila Mayor Francisco “Isko Moreno” Domagoso for his efforts to clean up his city and strictly implement local policies.

“Bilib ako sa kanya kaya nanonood ako kung nagsasalita siya. Mas mahusay siya kaysa akin, sa totoo lang. Oo, may nakita ako na mas mahusay ang resolve niya kaysa akin. Plus two ako sa kanya.” Duterte said after the oath-taking of the Malaca؜ñang Press Corps, Presidential Photojournalists Association and Malacañang Cameramen Association on Tuesday night.

Since formally assuming as Manila City mayor, Moreno has spearheaded clearing operations in his city’s streets and parks. He also ordered for the strict implementation of local ordinances including curfew for minors among others.

In response to Duterte’s words of praise, Mayor Isko expressed his gratitude and said he was drawing inspiration from the president’s leadership.

“Thank you for the kind words, Mr. President, but to be really honest, isa po kayo sa mga naging inspirasyon ko sa kung ano mang klase ng liderato na meron kami,” he said in a statement.

Domagoso then recounted the times he went to visit Davao City, the president’s hometown, where he admitted to feeling scared to light up a cigarette and speed up his vehicle for fear he will be apprehended by local authorities.

Davao City enforces no-smoking and speed limit ordinances.

“‘Di naman po lingid sa kaalaman ng karamihan, lalong lalo na ‘yung mga taga-Maynila na ako po ay naninigarilyo. Pero kapag nasa Davao City po ako, takot na takot po akong manigarilyo dahil alam ko pong huhulihin ako,” he said.

“In fact, there was one time, galing po kami ng Tagum, pabalik ng Davao City… biglang bumagal po ang takbo ng sasakyan namin so tinanong namin ‘yung driver kung bakit. Simple lang yung sagot nya. ‘Kasi po nasa Davao City na tayo. Kahit gabi ho dito, may pulis man o wala, sumusunod kami sa batas trapiko,’” he added.

“Kung ano man ang nakikita nating pagpupursige ng mga alkalde sa buong Pilipinas, hindi lang po ako, ay reflection lamang ng klase ng liderato at Pangulo na meron tayo.” Moreno further stated. RRD (with details from Correspondent Rosalie Coz)

Latest News

7 Filipinos safe from massive fire in Maldives

September 23, 2019   •   8 hours ago

Classes, gov’t work only ‘til 2 p.m. on Sept. 23

September 23, 2019   •   9 hours ago

6 boxes of liquid marijuana seized at NAIA

September 23, 2019   •   10 hours ago

ASOP Year 8 Grand Finale nears

September 21, 2019   •   3 days ago

DOH confirms second polio case in Philippines

September 20, 2019   •   3 days ago

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+63) 396-8688 (Tel)

(+63) 2 920.8336 (Fax)

info@untvweb.com (General inquiries)

support@untvweb.com

UNTV News and Rescue Emergency Hotlines:

LANDLINE (+63) 396-8688

ADVERTISE WITH US

(+63) 2 442.6244 Loc. 143, 144, 162, 164

advertising@untvweb.com

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.