Forces of AFP and PNP, strengthened especially this election period

admin   •   January 14, 2016   •   3711

FILE PHOTO: Philippine Army contingent seen on checkpoint at the entry point of Maguindanao province in Buluan, Maguindanao, on May 11, 2013. (Photoville International)

FILE PHOTO: Philippine Army contingent stands guard at the entry point of Maguindanao province in Buluan (Photoville International)

DAVAO, Philippines — During the AFP-PNP press conference on Wednesday some military officials said that the government have strengthened their forces especially this election period.

According to Eastern Mindanao Commander Major General Rey Leonardo Guerrero, they have deployed special forces and added approximately 13,000 personnel or workforce with an equivalent number of CAFGU or the Citizens Armed Geographical Unit, Eastern Mindanao-wide particularly in places identified by the Commission on Election (COMELEC) being in the election watch list or previously known as election hot spots.

These are the places enlisted in the historical data of the COMELEC with increased reports of election related offenses or places with high crime rates and threats to security during the past elections.

Major General Guerrero said, “Sa Eastern Mindanao Command, we now have four special operations forces or special operations unit na nandidito sa ating area and three special forces battalions na nandoon sa area ng 4th Infantry Division and we have one Scout Ranger batallion dito sa 10th Infantry Division.”

(In the Eastern Mindanao Command, we now have four special operations forces or special operations unit which are here in the area and three special force battalions in the area of the 4th Infantry Division and we have one scout ranger battalion here in the 10th Infantry Division.)

Guerrero named the places included in the election watch list.

“Nakikita natin ang preponderance ng NPA sightings at activities sa areas ng Surigao del Sur. Sa parte ng 4th Infantry Division and dito sa 10th Infantry Division, dito sa may Compostella Valley, although there are packets of sightings in other provinces.”

(We saw preponderance of NPA sightings and activities in the areas of Surigao del Sur, part of the 4th Infantry Division and here in the 10th Infantry Division, in Compostella Valley although there are packets of sightings in other provinces.)

Meanwhile according to the AFP, there is no confirmation yet on reports that there are already ISIS troops in the country particularly in Jolo, Sulu.

However, our military forces in the region are prepared for any attacks hence there should be no cause for alarm on the part of the civilians.

Spokesperson of 10th ID Captain Ryan Batchar said, “The 10th Infantry Division is very ready. We also have 2 task forces to monitor the presence of these terrorist groups, they are also well-trained and they also have equipment to counter these terrorism activities na pwedeng gawin nitong grupo ng ISIS… but for the meantime, we don’t have any reports, validated reports on the presence of ISIS here in the areas of Davao Region.”

(The 10th ID is very ready, we also have two task forces to monitor the presence of these terrorist groups. They are also well-trained and they also have equipment to counter these terrorism activities that may be done by this ISIS terrorist groups… but for the meantime, we don’t have any reports, validated reports on the presence of ISIS here in these areas of Davao Region.)

(Joeie Domingo / UNTV News)

Duterte orders freezing of several Customs officials, employees

Robie de Guzman   •   July 11, 2019

President Rodrigo Roa Duterte holds a situation briefing with members of his Cabinet and local government officials to discuss disaster response measures in the aftermath of Tropical Depression (TD) ‘Usman’. at the Camarines Sur Watersports Complex (CWC) in Pili, Camarines Sur on January 4, 2019 ALFRED FRIAS/PRESIDENTIAL PHOTO

MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte has ordered the freezing of several high-ranking officials and employees of the Bureau of Customs (BOC) over corruption allegations.

Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said these officials are facing administrative and criminal charges for unlawful activities. Their names, he said would be disclosed “at the appropriate time.”

“The President’s latest action underscores this Administration’s zero tolerance on corruption among erring officials,” Panelo said in a statement released on Wednesday night (July 10).

“We continue to dismantle corruption in the bureaucracy and rid it of corrupt officials and employees… The anti-corruption campaign is continuing as it is relentless. No one will be spared,” he added.

Duterte’s order was issued days after he warned of firing several Customs officials who are accused of corruption. The president also bared he was mulling over another revamp in the BOC.

READ: Duterte mulls another Customs revamp

He also mentioned anew his earlier proposal of bringing the military into the BOC to address corruption allegations in the agency.

It can be recalled that in October 2018, the president said he is considering asking military men to take over the BOC due to the rampant corruption and drug smuggling activities.

Although there are reports that corruption and bribery still continue to thrive in the BOC, Malacañang said on Tuesday that Customs chief Rey Leonardo Guerrero still enjoys the trust and confidence of the president. (with details from Rosalie Coz)

PNP returns to normal operations as election period ends

Maris Federez   •   June 13, 2019

The Philippine National Police has lowered its alert status as the election period comes to an end.

PNP spokesperson PCol. Bernard Banac said only a few areas that have reports of the presence of threat groups such as the Abu Sayyaf, Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters, and communist groups, are still on full alert.

These include Police Regional Office 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 and the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao.

Banac, however, stressed that these areas are not under security threat.

“Wala namang security threat sa naturang mga lugar, nakafull alert pa din ang mga lugar na yun dahil martial law,” Banac said.

Banac added the past election period has been generally peaceful and validated election-related incidents had been low as compared with the 2016 Presidential Elections. (with reports from Lea Ylagan) /mbmf

Individuals arrested for distributing sample ballots in Caloocan

Marje Pelayo   •   May 13, 2019

Several individuals including minors have been arrested in Caloocan for distributing sample ballots.

CALOOCAN CITY, Philippines — Police nabbed individuals in Barangay Bagong Silang, Caloocan for distributing sample ballots to arriving voters on Monday (May 13).

According to Police Major Raymond Nicolas, it is prohibited by law to distribute any form of campaign material during election period.

“Mahigpit pong ipinagbabawal ang pamimigay ng mga pulyetos o sample ballots or campaign paraphernalia during election period lalong lalo na sa mga polling center,” the PCP 3 Commander said.

Some of the accosted individuals were minors.

The official said they will conduct investigation on the arrested individuals while the minors will be endorsed to the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD). – (with details from Rey Pelayo) Marje Pelayo

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.