First phase of a new terminal at Clark Int’l Airport to begin next month
UNTV News • December 1, 2017 • 6941
PAMPANGA, Philippines — Airport officials believe there is a need to construct new airport terminals in Clark, Pampanga due to the increasing number of passengers at the Clark International Airport.
According to the figures of the Construction Industry Arbitration Commission (CIAC), the said airport has 1.4 million passengers this year, bigger than last year, which was at 1.3 million passengers.
Due to the increase, officials of CIAC believe there is a need to build another airport terminal.
“We are at the first phase. What does the first phase contain? The first phase contains a new terminal project. This means we will build a new terminal, new passenger terminal building,” CIAC CEO Mr. Alexander Cauguiran said.
“Aside from this building, we will construct as well a secondary road network that would connect the terminal to the SCTEX so that passengers will no longer have to pass through the middle of the zone. And then of course the transportation hub and the horizontal project. These five components are incorporated in the first phase,” he added.
The said project will begin in December of this year and is expected to be completed in the first quarter of 2020.
“The government, President Duterte, and DOTR want the BCDA to finish it by the first quarter of 2020. From there, once the market becomes vibrant, we can see its results. It will take years before we can implement the second phase,” Cauguiran said.
The soon to be constructed terminal is expected to accommodate up to 8 million passengers.
With a second terminal, the Clark Airport can accommodate a total of more than 12 million passengers.
The construction of the new terminal is expected to cost the government P12 to P15 billion. – Rosalie Coz | UNTV News & Rescue
MANILA, Philippines – The construction of the Bicol International Airport (BIA) project is moving at a fast pace, logging an overall progress rate of 72.2 percent, the Department of Transportation (DOTr) said Wednesday.
The actual construction of the airport started in December 2016.
It is comprised of Packages 2A and 2B. The DOTr said that as of January 13, 2021, the package 2A of the BIA Development project is now 88.2 percent complete.
Construction work in Package 2A is being handled by the Sunwest Construction and Development Corp. and covers the airport’s landside facilities, such as the Administration Building, Air Traffic Control Building, Crash Fire Rescue Building, and the Maintenance Building.
Package 2B of the airport project, meanwhile, is now 49.5 percent complete. Package 2B which is being handled by the E.M. Cuerpo construction company, covers the construction of the passenger terminal building (PTB), taxiway, runway extension, and other site development works.
Once completed, the Bicol International Airport, which features the iconic Mayon Volcano as its magnificent backdrop, is expected to serve a total of 2 million airline passengers every year.
The new international airport is also projected to boost air traffic in the region amid the existing coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic.
The BIA initially started construction in 2008. However, development works were uncompleted until 2012.
“When the Duterte administration came in 2016, the airport’s Package 2A and 2B projects were continued,” the DOTr said in a statement.
An important component of the Duterte Administration’s “Build, Build, Build” Program, the BIA also intends to be an instrumental in the transformation of Albay Province, and the rest of the Bicol Region, into a strong economic contender.
DOTr Secretary Arthur Tugade stressed the importance of having continuous transport infrastructure developments such as the BIA, which will prove vital as the country starts recovering from the impact of COVID-19.
“It can’t be denied that the aviation sector has been one of the hardest hit by the pandemic. That’s why it is important that we finish the airport at the soonest possible time, as this will absolutely give the economy a boost,” Tugade said.
“Gusto ko matapos ‘yan within the year dahil gusto na natin itong agad na mapakinabangan ng ating mga kababayan. As we ready for take-off, kung baga, dapat all systems go,” he added.
The Department of Transportation (DOTr) has boosted its One-Stop-Shop as more overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) return home for the holidays.
DOTr’s Office for the Transportation Security (OTS) Administrator Usec. Raul Del Rosario said this is to prevent the previous inconvenience caused by delayed COVID-19 test results.
Based on the OTS data, an estimated 5,000 OFWs arrive in the Philippines every day during the holidays.
Del Rosario also said additional Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) personnel were deployed.
The One-Stop-Shop partnered with four COVID-testing laboratories to accommodate more OFWs.
“Nagkaroon kami ng commitment among these laboratories, nag-commit sila na 24 hours ilalabas nila ang result at walang lalagpas ng 48 hours (We had a commitment among these laboratories. They committed to release the results in 24 hours and not exceeding 48 hours),” he said.
The One-Stop-Shop can process 10,000 swab tests per day, Del Rosario added.
Aside from the laboratories, there are also 21,000 slots available in hotels where OFWs can stay while waiting for their COVID-19 test results. -AAC (with reports from Joan Nano)
MANILA, Philippines – A Senate panel on Thursday said it will summon Department of Transportation (DOTr) Secretary Arthur Tugade to answer questions relating to the issues on the implementation of the cashless collection system in tollways which began on December 1.
Senator Grace Poe, chairperson of the Senate committee on public services, said she has filed a resolution urging the DOTr to revisit its order and suspend the implementation of full cashless toll transactions which has snarled traffic in toll plazas.
“Today iniikot na ang resolution na ‘yan galing sa committee ko. Narinig ko na kay Sen. Sherwin Gatchalian, na isa sa mga naunang naghain niyan, na susuportahan nga niya itong tawag na ito. Kasi sa DOTr ‘yan… Bakit hahayaan na magbakbakan ang operator at local government at magdusa ang taumbayan,” Poe said in a media interview.
“We are asking the DOTr to suspend the full implementation of the 100-percent cashless transaction it compelled toll operators. The system isn’t completely ready,” she added.
Poe said that aside from creating traffic choke points, the system also caused public utility vehicle drivers and operators to lose income because they had to fall in line for RFID sticker installation as they had a short window within which to get their tags.
The senator also noted the issue on the P500 minimum load requirement of some toll operators.
“That minimum load is a big amount for some, especially if the toll they need to pay is just less than P100. That minimum load is even higher than the minimum wage,” Poe said.
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.