MANILA, Philippines – The number of firecracker related injuries has already climbed to 29 based on the latest figures released by the Department of Health.
Based on the report from DOH sentinel sites, from December 21 until 6 in the morning, Tuesday, there are 18 firecracker-related injuries recorded in the National Capital Region (NCR) alone.
Despite the seemingly rising number of injuries, health authorities note the recorded number of incidents is still lower compared to the same period last year.
Meanwhile, The DOH is disappointed that despite the repeated warnings and reminders, three individuals have lost their fingers.
“This is way, way below the same period last year. Kasi (because) last year we had 71 same time. Although we are saddened that there are still reported injuries, but it seems many people are now behaving properly. And they are no longer putting themselves, as well as the people around them, in danger,” DOH Usec. Gerardo Bayugo said.
One of them is a 29 year old male from Basista, Pangasinan, who was injured after a “boga” (an improvised cannon) exploded.
A 12-year-old teenager in Talisay, Negros Occidental also lost his fingers due to a whistle bomb.
A senior citizen who was also hit by a whistle bomb was rushed to East Avenue Medical Center.
The DOH emphasized that local hospitals and centers are ready to provide medical assistance to everyone, and that those covered by PhilHealth will depend on the injury they have sustained.
“They do not need to pay additional fees because we have a No Balance Billing policy especially for our fellow Filipinos who are incapable of paying,” Bayugo said.
Meanwhile, 19 of the victims sustained their injuries from piccolo, 2 from boga, while the other 2 are due to whistle bombs and other prohibited firecrackers.
This is why the DOH has reminded the public anew, especially the youth, not to use firecrackers, and to join community based- fireworks display instead.
The community based- fireworks display will be designated by local government units or LGU’s.
The DOH will gather the list of firecracker zones designated by the LGU’s to monitor the implementation of Executive Order or E.O. number 28 or the firecracker ban. – Aiko Miguel | UNTV News & Rescue
MANILA, Philippines – Three facilities being converted into quarantine sites for novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) patients are set to open this week, the Department of Health (DOH) announced on Monday.
Health Secretary Francisco Duque III said these facilities are the Rizal Memorial Sports Complex, the Philippine International Convention Center (PICC), and the World Trade Center.
Duque made the announcement during his visit to the sites on Monday morning.
The Health chief said the three community quarantine sites will initially admit COVID-19 positive patients with mild or no symptoms.
“This protocol may change depending on the number of patients under investigation (PUI) & person under monitoring (PUM). If a patient’s condition worsens, he or she will be rushed immediately to a hospital for proper management and treatment,” Secretary Duque said in a statement.
The DOH said the PICC can accommodate a maximum of 294 patients, while the World Trade Center and the Rizal Memorial Sports Complex can admit 502 and 112 patients, respectively.
Duque said the PICC will be managed by the Philippine National Police Medical Corps, while the World Trade Center will be managed by the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP).
“Both the PNP and AFP will supervise the Rizal Memorial Coliseum. The DOH healthcare workforce will also be supporting these three quarantine facilities,” the DOH said.
The facilities are aimed at decongesting hospitals and containing the spread of the highly-contagious coronavirus disease.
The conversion of the three quarantine facilities is a collaboration between government and private sector, composed of the DOH, the Department of Public Works and Highways, the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases, and the Bases Conversion Development Authority headed by Secretary Vince Dizon, who is also the Presidential Adviser for Flagship Programs and Projects, the agency added.
To date, the Philippines has recorded 3,660 confirmed cases with 163 fatalities and 73 total recoveries.
MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Health (DOH) has established a protocol requiring all healthcare workers to undergo tests for coronavirus disease (COVID-19) despite exhibiting mild symptoms.
According to the DOH, healthcare workers belong to the ‘vulnerable’ group whose conditions need primary attention.
Since the fight against COVID-19 started in January, a number of doctors, nurses, hospitals and laboratory staffers have fallen ill, some have died, due to exposure to COVID-19.
Based on DOH’s previous policy on COVID-19 testing, workers belonging to the ‘vulnerable population’ should be prioritized but that included only senior citizens or the elderly with pre-existing medical conditions and those who are showing severe symptoms of the disease.
But following review of the policy on Tuesday (March 31), the DOH decided to include the healthcare workers to the vulnerable group.
“Kapag nagpunta sa isang health facility ang ating mga healthcare workers, dahil sila ay may sintomas o sila ay na- expose, kailangan po silang asikasuhin [Healthcare workers should be attended to once they show symptoms (of COVID-19) due to their exposure to the virus in a health facility where they work],” noted DOH Spokesperson Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire.
“Kailangan po silang i- test ng ating mga heathcare workers [We should test our healthcare workers],” she added.
The DOH is still collating information about healthcare workers or medical professionals across the country who have been affected by COVID-19.
Medical professionals who contracted the disease in line of duty will receive P100,000 insurance package each.
Meanwhile, relatives of medical front-liners who succumbed to COVID-19 will get P1-M financial assistance from the national government. MNP (with inputs from Aiko Miguel)
MANILA, Philippines – Sa ilalim ng ipinatutupad na enhanced community quarantine, limitado ang kilos ng mga tao at pinapayuhan ang lahat na manatili lamang sa bahay upang mapigilan ang lalo pang pagkalat ng novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19).
Ngunit may mga pagkakataong kailangan mong lumabas ng bahay upang magtrabaho o kaya ay bumili ng mga pangunahing pangangailangan ng iyong pamilya.
Paano mo masisigurong sa iyong pagbalik ay hindi mo maipapasok sa inyong tahanan ang mapanganib na coronavirus?
Bago umalis, magdala ng alcohol o hand sanitizer.
Ipinapayo ng Department of Health (DOH) ang pagdadala ng alcohol o hand sanitizer kapag lalabas ng bahay. Gamitin ito na panlinis ng kamay kung walang magagamit na malinis na tubig at sabon sa paghuhugas ng kamay.
Habang nasa labas ng bahay, huwag hawakan ang iyong mukha.
Kung namimili o bumibiyahe, dapat iwasan ang paghawak sa iyong mata, ilong at iba pang bahagi ng mukha lalo na kung may ibang bagay ka nang nahawakan. Ito ay upang huwag pumasok sa iyong katawan ang virus na maaaring nasa iyong kamay.
Hubarin ang sapatos bago pumasok ng bahay.
Pagkauwi, agad hubarin ang suot na sapatos at mag-spray ng alcohol sa swelas nito bago pumasok ng bahay. Mas maiging ilagay ang sapatos sa itinalagang lugar sa labas ng bahay o malapit sa pintuan.
Hubarin ang isinuot na damit at agad labhan.
Pagpasok sa loob ng bahay, hubarin ang iyong damit at ilagay sa hiwalay na laundry bag. Agad itong labhan gamit ang tubig, sabong panlaba at kaunting bleach.
Kung ikaw ay medical worker at galing ka sa trabaho sa ospital, mainam na mag-disinfect ka muna bago pumasok sa loob ng inyong bahay. Ito ay upang maprotektahan ang iyong pamilya mula sa mga mikrobyo.
Kung gumamit ng personal protective equipment (PPE) tulad ng gloves at face mask, sinabi ng DOH na dapat itong ilagay sa isang selyadong bag bago itapon sa hiwalay na basurahan. Tiyaking nakasara ang pinaglagyan ng PPEs sa loob ng 72 oras bago iwanan sa labas ng bahay upang makulekta.
Itabi sa isang lalagyan at linisin ang lahat ng gamit na dinala sa labas ng bahay.
Ilagay ang bag, susi, barya at iba pang gamit na dinala sa labas sa itinalagang lugar o kahon malapit sa pintuan.
Ayon sa DOH, dapat linisin ang mga ito pati na ang ginamit mong bag sa pamamagitan ng pag-spray ng bleach na may halong tubig o 70% alcohol solution.
Maglagay ng sanitizer sa pintuan ng bahay.
Upang masigurong wala kang maipapasok na mikrobyo sa inyong tahanan, ipinapayo ng DOH ang paglalagay ng alcohol o sanitizer malapit sa pintuan ng bahay at linisin muna ang kamay bago pumasok sa bahay.
Kung hindi pa nakakapaglinis ng kamay, huwag munang hawakan ang mga bagay sa loob ng bahay.
Agad maligo pagdating sa bahay.
Ayon sa DOH, dapat hugasan ng mabuti at sabunin ang lahat ng parte ng katawan na nakalantad sa ere tulad ng kamay. Kuskusin rin ng mabuti ang katawan.
Maglinis at mag-disinfect ng bahay
Ugaliing maglinis at mag-disinfect lalo na ng mga bagay na madalas hawakan sa inyong bahay gaya ng doorknob.
Bago simulan ang disinfection, magsuot ng gloves upang maprotektahan ang inyong kamay mula sa mga kemikal.
Sa pagdi-disinfect ng mga kasangkapan, maaaring gumamit ng karaniwang chemical disinfectants sa bahay tulad ng alcohol, at bleach o chlorine solutions. Ihanda ito sa isang well-ventilated na lugar.
Mag-ingat sa paggamit ng disinfectants at iwasang malagyan ang mga mata, bibig at balat. Basahin ring maigi ang instructions sa paggamit nito.
Tiyaking maghugas ng kamay pagkatapos gumamit ng chemical disinfectant.
Payo ng health experts, patuloy na gawin ang mga hakbang na ito upang maiwasang mahawa sa mga sakit lalo na sa COVID-19.
Ugaliin ring maghugas ng kamay, sumunod sa patakaran ng social distancing, takpan ang ilong at bibig kung uubo o babahing.
Kung may sakit, mas maiging magpahinga at huwag umalis ng bahay, Kung kailangang lumabas ay magsuot ng face mask upang mabawasan ang panganib ng pagpasok ng COVID-19 sa inyong tahanan.
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.