Filipinos in Hong Kong urged to stay away from 7 protest areas

Marje Pelayo   •   August 5, 2019   •   690

Riot police clash with anti-extradition bill protesters as they arrive to disperse protesters from the Legislative Council Building in Hong Kong, China, 02 July 2019.

MANILA, Philippines – The Philippine Consulate General in Hong Kong advises Filipinos in the autonomous territory to keep safe and avoid areas where massive protests are set.

Specifically, these areas include:

  1. Tamar Park, Armiralty
  2. Sha Tin Town Hall Plaza
  3. Tuen Mun Park
  4. Discovery Park, Tsuen Wan
  5. Wong Tai Sin Square
  6. MacPherson Playground, Mong Kok
  7. Kwong Fuk Football Park, Tai Po

The Consulate General also reminds Filipinos not to wear black or white shirts as these colors are associated with the conflicting parties involved in the tension.

Meanwhile, the Consulate office has closed its operations on Monday (August 5) due to the ongoing strike and disruptions in transport services.

All passport appointments will be accommodated on Tuesday (August 6) and in the succeeding days, the Consulate office said.

Protocols urged for evacuation of OFWs amid nCoV outbreak

Marje Pelayo   •   January 28, 2020

MANILA, Philippines — The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) on Monday (January 27) consulted with the Department of Health (DOH) on the establishment of health protocols for the evacuation of Filipinos from cities in China affected by novel coronavirus (nCoV) specifically in Wuhan City, the epicenter of the outbreak.

During the meeting, officials discussed potential measures to properly respond to health emergency prompted by the outbreak of nCoV in China and other countries.

Likewise, acting Foreign Affairs Secretary Eduardo Malaya raised the need to formulate further health advisories for Filipinos including DOH hotlines in each Philippine foreign service post in China to which they can call.

Meanwhile, Health Undersecretary Myrna Cabotaje advised Filipinos in virus-affected areas to exercise precaution by avoiding crowded places, using masks and gloves, as well as practicing proper hand washing and hygiene to reduce the risk of nCoV infection.

The DFA said it is continuously reaching out to Filipinos in China through Embassy and Consulate officials.

Meanwhile, the DOH clarified and maintained that there are no reports of any Filipino, here and abroad, affected by nCoV, so far.

Cimatu heads to the Middle East as forced evacuation of OFWs begins

Marje Pelayo   •   January 8, 2020

MANILA, Philippines – Environment Secretary Roy Cimatu is leaving for the Middle East on Thursday (January 9) to oversee the immediate repatriation of Filipinos there amid the escalating tension between the United States and Iran that is affecting all other Gulf states.

President Rodrigo Duterte reinstated Cimatu as the Philippine Special Envoy to the Middle East, his position under the Arroyo administration, being the most experienced when it comes to conflicts in the Gulf region.

In response to his recommendation, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) has raised crisis alert level 4 in Iraq which orders mandatory repatriation of all Filipinos living and working there.

Iraq holds a number of US military bases which are potential targets by Iranian retaliation following the death of Iran’s top military general Qassem Soleimani in an airstrike launched by the US.

“Pipilitin namin lalo na sa Iraq. Nagawa na namin ito kasi ayaw talaga nilang umalis. Hanggang sa ma-convince namin, (We will force them especially those in Iraq. We did this in the past because some Filipinos really refused to leave. (We will force them) until they are convinced,)” Cimatu said.

“(They assume, things are still okay.) They don’t know yet. This is a forced evacuation. We have to forced them really,” he added.

In a press briefing Wednesday (January 8), Cimatu confirmed that a total of 1,592 overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) volunteered for repatriation and are set to leave Iraq as soon as they are cleared to go.

They will be moved out of Baghdad to Jordan and from there, they will be transferred to Dubai where they can board their flights to the Philippines.

Cimatu is confident that the process of repatriation will succeed for the safe evacuation of Filipinos, especially those who will move by land.

They will make sure to put up Philippine flags for identification.

Cimatu said Dubai will be repatriation’s central logistic base since there are direct flights from Dubai to the Philippines.

From the Philippines, Cimatu will fly to Doha, Qatar before he attempts entry to Iraq to facilitate the evacuation of Filipinos there.

One concern, Cimatu said, is the situation of Filipinos who are married to Iranian nationals.

Cimatu said they are ready to assist Philippine passport holders but their Iranian spouses may only leave if their government allows them to.

The Philippines also has an existing ban of workers to Lebanon and repatriation has been ongoing since the start of the civil unrest there.

Secretary Cimatu assured that all Philippine posts in different gulf states have contingency plans in place in case alert level 4 is raised in their areas of jurisdiction. MNP (with details from Rey Pelayo)

Filipinos in US-ally Saudi Arabia cautioned to exercise vigilance, coordinate with authorities

Marje Pelayo   •   January 8, 2020

A general view shows the Royal Hotel Clock Tower located near the Haram Sharif mosque during sunset. EPA/ ALAA BADARNEH

MIDDLE EAST – Philippine officials in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (KSA) and Iraq are calling on Filipinos there to heed their advisory and exercise vigilance amid the rising tension between the United States and Iran which will most likely affect the rest of the countries in the Middle East.

In an advisory, the Philippine Embassy in Riyadh cautioned the Filipino communities in KSA against potential security threats, thus Embassy officials advised Filipinos to observe security measures and protocols established by the Saudi government, and abide by the laws, rules, and regulations of the Kingdom.

Meanwhile, the Embassy assures Filipinos that procedures for potential evacuation and repatriation are in place should they be affected or displaced by the impending hostilities.

The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia has been a long-time ally of the United States since the establishment of their full diplomatic relations in 1933.

Reports said regional activities by the slain Iranian General Qasem Soleimani frequently targeted Saudi Arabia and its allies. 

Based on records of the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA), the KSA is the second country in the world that hosts the most number of Filipinos, nearly a thousand less than one million in the agency’s 2014 data.

For security-related incidents, information on developing security situations on the ground, and requests for assistance, Filipinos in the Kingdom may contact the following:

A. Assistance-to-Nationals Section (ANS) – Philippine Embassy in Riyadh
1. Landline Number – 011-480-1918
2. Hotline Number – 056 989 3301
3.E-mail Address – assistance@riyadhpe.com

B. Assistance-to-Nationals Section (ANS) – Philippine Consulate General in Jeddah
1. Hotline Numbers – 055 219 613 / 055 219 614
2. E-mail Address – ans@pcgjeddah.org

Image may contain: text

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

(+632) 8920.8336 (Fax)

info@untvweb.com (General inquiries)

support@untvweb.com

UNTV News and Rescue Emergency Hotlines:

LANDLINE (+632) 8396-8688

ADVERTISE WITH US

(+632) 8 442.6244 Loc. 143, 144, 162, 164

advertising@untvweb.com

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.