Filipino nurse in Libya tests positive for COVID-19
Robie de Guzman • June 15, 2020 • 326
The Philippine Embassy in Libya on Monday reported its first case of Filipino to have contracted novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19).
The embassy said the patient is a 47-year old Filipino emergency room nurse in Tripoli, who most likely got exposed to the virus while on duty.
“Our kababayan got infected while in the line of duty the same way the approximately 1,000 other Filipino nurses and hospital workers are putting themselves at risk serving the people of their adopted country—Libya,” the embassy said in a statement.
It added that the Filipino nurse is part of the 36 new COVID-19 cases in Libya on Monday.
Libya has so far recorded 434 cases of coronavirus infections, with 10 fatalities and 63 recoveries.
The Philippine embassy has renewed its call on concerned Libyan authorities to ensure the well-being of Filipino health workers in their country by providing them with proper personal protective equipment to allow them to effectively and safely do their jobs.
Filipinos returning from countries with low coronavirus disease (COVID-19) cases no longer need to undergo quarantine and testing, according to the Department of Health (DOH).
DOH Spokesperson Usec. Maria Rosario Vergeire said the World Health Organization (WHO) has issued classification on different prevalence levels of each country for the department to determine which countries have low COVID-19 cases.
“For those low to medium prevalence countries na may COVID-19, kapag dumating ang mga OFWs dito maaari nang hindi na muna i-test. Mag-comply ng minimum health standards, they can go back to their provinces, (For those with low to medium prevalence countries with COVID-19, OFWs from those areas no longer need to be tested. Just comply with the minimum health standards and they can go back to their provinces),” Vergeire said.
However, the Health Department reiterates that Filipinos who return to their provinces still need to follow the minimum health standards and symptoms monitoring implemented in the area. Vergeire said the local government units (LGUs) will be in charge of monitoring their condition and COVID-19 testing, if necessary.
It is also under the LGUs mandate to test individuals entering their areas to prevent the spread of the virus.
“Whatever the local governments would require for them to enter into their province, they have to comply,” Vergeire said.
She added LGUs have their own guidelines for domestic travelers, including those who are coming from areas with high COVID-19 cases, such as the National Capital Region. -AAC (with reports from Aiko Miguel)
Simula sa Biyernes, Oktubre 23 ay maaari nang bumisita sa Baguio City ang mga turistang magmumula sa Metro Manila pati na sa Cagayan Valley at Central Luzon.
Ayon sa lokal na pamahalaan ng Baguio City, layunin nito na muling pasiglahin ang industriya ng turismo at iba pang sektor na malubhang naapektuhan ng coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic.
Paalala ng mga otoridad sa mga bibisita, sumunod sa health protocols at iba pang panuntunan upang maiwasan ang pagkalat ng COVID-19.
Ang mga bibisita sa lungsod ay kailangang dumaan sa mahigpit na screening process.
Obligado rin silang mag-register online sa pamamagitan ng Visitors Information and Travel Assistance (VISITA) website, at magkaroon ng confirmed booking ng accommodation at designated hotel bilang bahagi ng monitoring sa mga bisita.
Kailangan ring magpakita ang mga turista ng negative confirmatory COVID-19 test result na isinagawa bago bumiyahe.
Limitado lang sa 200 turista ang maaaring pumasok sa Baguio City kada araw.
Una nang binuksan ang turismo sa lungsod noong Oktubre 1 para sa mga bisita mula sa Ilocos Region. – RRD (mula sa ulat ni Correspondent Grace Doctolero)
MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte assures the public that the government will settle what it owes to the Philippine Red Cross (PRC) for coronavirus disease (COVID-19) testing.
The President said the government will present its plan to the Commission on Audit (COA) and will look for funds through the Department of Budget and Management (DBM).
“Itong Red Cross, wag ka mag-aalala, babayaran ito (To the Red Cross, don’t you worry. You will get paid). We’re just looking for a way to present the solution to COA pati sa Budget. Do not worry we will pay. It will take time but we will pay, we will look for the money,” he said during his public address, Monday evening (October 19).
According to Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque, the government hopes to settle at least 50 percent of more than P930 million owed to PRC as soon as possible.
“We hope to settle at least 50% of that amount as soon as possible. And the rest also within reasonable time,” he said.
The arrears came from expenses incurred by the Philippine Health Insurance Corporation (PhilHealth) to the PRC in relation to the Reverse Transcription Polymerase Chain Reaction or RT-PCR testing for coronavirus infection.
The President reiterated that the government’s priorities amid the pandemic are providing medical attention to the Filipinos and procuring medical equipment.
He also believes that the PRC through its chairman Senator Richard Gordon will understand the government’s position on the matter.
“What I’m really trying to say is we will pay. Sabi ko kay Senator Gordon, because he heads the Red Cross, na babayaran ko ito,” the President said.
Nonetheless, the government has assured the public that the COVID-19 testing in the country will not be affected by the debts owed to the PRC.
Specimens from returning overseas Filipino workers as well as from frontliners which used to be accommodated by the PRC will now be sent to more than 100 accredited COVID-19 testing laboratories in the country for processing. MNP (with reports from Rosalie Coz)
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.