Filipino auto repair shop makes name for itself in the UK
by UNTV News and Rescue | Posted on Thursday, May 17th, 2018
Former aircraft mechanic Joselito “King” Dela Cruz
SURREY, England — A car repair shop owned by a Filipino is gaining popularity in England, United Kingdom.
“Pinoy Motor Works” is owned by a former aircraft mechanic Joselito “King” Dela Cruz. It is located in the suburb of Addlestone in Surrey, England. The shop has become a favorite choice among Filipinos and British nationals for its high-quality auto services at cheaper prices.
“Itong talyer na ito ay one-stop-shop. Kahit anong ipagawa mo, gagawin ko. Mura ang full service, MOT at tire servicing. Ang diagnostic ang charge nila from £60 to £125, ako free,” said King.
(This is a one-stop-shop. I accept all kinds of auto works. Rates are cheap for full service, MOT and tire servicing. Others charge £60 to £125 for diagnostic services — I do it for free.)
King’s proudly Filipino car repair shop
King said establishing his business was not easy. He admitted to struggling in the first months
but with the help of family and friends, his shop is now gaining patrons.
“Masyado siyang die hard. Andito na lahat ng passion niya sa paggawa ng sasakyan noong araw pa (Tinkering with cars has always been his passion ever since),” said his wife, Recel Dela Cruz.
He has now earned the respect and trust of Filipino customers and even of local patrons.
“It’s picked up a lot in the last three or four months because of his quality of work and punctuality of delivery and it has been a friendly, acceptable environment. I would recommend Joselito at Pinoy Motors,” said client Peter Carver from Addlestone, Surrey England
Though King pays £3,000 or equivalent to P200,000 monthly in lease, aside from taxes, he still offers his customers lower service fees. Sometimes, he would still fix other people’s cars even if they can’t pay for his services.
“The thing is, I did not have money today. I’ve left my card at home and he is willing to do it free of charge. So amazing,” said Umanga Caldera from Feltham, London.
Pinoy motor works is open from Monday to Friday. It has a lot of good reviews on Facebook. — Jovic Bermas / Marje Pelayo
by UNTV News | Posted on Monday, August 13th, 2018
Police officers standing at the attack scene (Screenshot via Reuters video)
A multi-ethnic community in the UK’s Manchester City is facing a fresh trauma caused by a shooting incident during which 10 people, including two teenagers, were injured on Sunday morning.
The city was celebrating its annual Caribbean Carnival a day earlier when the streets were filled with laughter and joy, yet merely hours later, around 02:30 on Sunday morning, gunshots shattered the street party and everything was thrown into chaos.
Manchester, which has just managed to get back on its feet after the arena bombing in May last year, is again on its edge, with many fearing that the shooting might be related to terrorism.
“We were all out there enjoying ourselves, then all of a sudden somebody came, all masked up, and then they just started shooting into the crowd, I believe 10 people have been hurt,” said a local resident.
Local police, who are still talking with witnesses in an effort to identify a suspect who is still at large, said that the firearm used in the shooting is a shotgun. The case has now been treated by the police as an “attempted murder”.
Reflecting the case, a local resident expressed her grave concern over the incident’s fallout.
“I worry about the amount of funds that [are] coming to the community to help young people. I worry about the fact that the councils can do more but choose not to do that. I worry about the fact that people are not preventing situations and that they are coming in, looking for, you know, scapegoats and pointing fingers at young people. They have nowhere to go. They’ve shut down youth clubs, they’ve shut down centers, they’ve shut down support groups,” said the resident. — Reuters
by UNTV News | Posted on Wednesday, May 23rd, 2018
Britain’s Prince Harry and his wife Meghan, Duchess of Sussex attend a garden party at Buckingham Palace, their first royal engagement as married couple, in London, May 22, 2018. Dominick Lipinski/Pool via Reuters
Britain’s Prince Harry and his new wife Meghan Markle – the Duke and Duchess of Sussex – appeared at their first official engagement since marrying last weekend when they attended an event in the gardens of Buckingham Palace on Tuesday (May 22).
The couple, whose wedding in Windsor on Saturday (May 19) was watched by millions of TV viewers worldwide, was at a party to celebrate Harry’s father Prince Charles’ charity patronages and military affiliations ahead of his 70th birthday this year.
Also, there were several emergency services personnel who were first responders after the Manchester suicide bombing exactly a year ago which killed 22 people, the Palace said.
Charles and his wife Camilla visited Manchester Arena last June to meet staff who were first on the scene immediately after the bombing.
Heir to the throne Charles, who will be 70 in November, played an impromptu role in Saturday’s royal wedding, accompanying Markle up the aisle in the absence of her own father who was unable to attend.
Harry and U.S. former actress Markle are expected to go on honeymoon later, though no details of when or where have been announced. — Reuters
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.