Facebook takes blame for service outages, which hit wider Web
admin • January 28, 2015 • 2265
A Facebook logo on an Ipad is reflected among source code on the LCD screen of a computer, in this photo illustration taken in Sarajevo June 18, 2014. CREDIT: REUTERS/DADO RUVIC
(Reuters) – Access to Facebook (FB.O), the world’s largest social network, and its Instagram photo-sharing site, were blocked around the world for up to an hour on Tuesday, which the company said later was due to an internal fault and not an outside attack.
The outage at Facebook, which started around 0600 GMT, appeared to spill over and temporarily slow or block traffic to other major Internet sites, according to web and mobile user reports from around the globe.
U.S.-based online match-making site Tinder, a unit of IAC/InterActive Corp (IACI.O), and Hipchat, the workplace instant- messaging service of Australian enterprise software company Atlassian, were also down around the same period, but recovered.
A hacker group associated with other recent high-profile attacks on other online services sought to claim responsibility for the outages, but Facebook said the fault was its own.
“This was not the result of a third-party attack but instead occurred after we introduced a change that affected our configuration systems,” Facebook said. “Both services are back to 100 percent for everyone.”
Users in the United States and many countries in Asia and Europe reported that they were unable to log on to the websites of Facebook, Instagram and corresponding mobile apps including Facebook and Facebook Messenger.
During the outages, Facebook users were greeted with the message: “Sorry, something went wrong. We’re working on it and we’ll get it fixed as soon as we can.”
“If you run a service with the capacity (and complexity) to deliver media for hundreds of millions of users, it’s inevitable that things don’t always go according to plan,” said Steve Santorelli, a former London police detective and now a researcher at U.S. threat intelligence firm Team Cymru.
Facebook counted more than 1.35 billion web and 1.12 mobile phone users on a monthly basis in September, the latest date for which official figures are available.
Earlier on Tuesday a Twitter account that purports to speak for hacker group “Lizard Squad” posted messages suggesting that it was behind an attack that temporarily blocked several major web sites, including Facebook and Instagram.
The Lizard Squad is a group of unknown hackers that has taken credit for several high-profile outages, including the attacks that took down the Sony (6758.T) PlayStation Network and Microsoft’s (MSFT.O) Xbox Live network last month.
Santorelli said that attacking Internet sites which operate at the size and scale of Facebook via a classic distributed denial of service attack would be a huge undertaking, which, while not entirely impossible, would be “monumentally hard.”
Denial of service attacks direct thousands of infected computers under an attacker’s control to ping a site or sites, thereby slowing or blocking access for regular users.
Such attacks can create congestion on branches of the Internet where the site is located, slowing Web traffic and affecting access to unrelated services.
As a precaution, Facebook users are advised to change their passwords and review their privacy settings, Santorelli said.
Alano Abuan is grateful for the chance to go out and operate his jeepney again.
Since the implementation of the enhanced community quarantine (ECQ), the government has temporarily banned public transportation to avoid the further spread of coronavirus disease (COVID-19).
However, five barangays in Baguio City applied for a travel permit for jeepney drivers to operate, on the condition that instead of passengers paying for the fare, they can opt to donate.
Barangay councilman (Kagawad) Arturo Frias said they want to assist the jeepney drivers as well as constituents who would need to travel amid the ECQ. Frias said they are proud of their jeepney drivers for their service.
“Sabi ng mayor, huwag kayong maningil. Kung magkano iyon ibigay na donation, iyong lang. Proud kami sa mga driver dito kasi hindi po sila pwersang naniningil sa mga pasahero (The mayor said don’t ask for payment. Whatever donation they give is fine. We are proud of our drivers because they do not forcefully collect payment from their passengers),“ he said.
Alano said there is no problem if passengers would only donate as long as he can still provide for his family.
“Basta mayroon okay iyon. Nagkakasya naman (As long as we have something. It is enough),” he said.
One of the passengers, Andrew Gangganga said the donations can both help the passengers as well as the drivers amid the ECQ.
“Maganda po kasi kapag donation, kahit anong amount, okay lang. Nakakatulong din iyong driver, give and take lang (It is good because if it is a donation any amount is okay. It will help the driver, just give and take),” he said. –AAC
While the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic continues to wreak havoc, the world is ever more appreciative and supportive of health workers frontlining the virus battle. Some express their support through music and donations — others through fine art.
A nurse paid tribute to her fellow frontliners and COVID-19 victims using syringe art.
Kimberly Joy Mallo Magbanua shared her masterpiece on Facebook: a health worker sleeping in exhaustion with the Philippine flag for a blanket.
“Ito’y para sa aking mga kapwang frontliners at sa lahat ng naging biktima ng COVID-19 (This is for my fellow frontliners and all the victims of COVID-19),” her post reads. AAC
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.