Expanded student discount to take effect on Saturday

UNTV News   •   October 26, 2017   •   4594

IMAGE_UNTV_NEWS_102517_ Expanded Student Discount

MANILA, Philippines – The Expanded Student Discount will take effect on Saturday, October 28. This will provide students 20% discounts in all public transportation even during weekends and holidays, based on the memorandum circular issued by the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board.

The new policy is also effective during summer breaks, legal and special holidays.

However, the discount does not cover students taking up medicine, law, masters and doctorate degrees.

College student, Zaldy Tamon is relieved by the new policy as he uses public transport to school every day.

“Twenty percent is quite big for a student like me.  For instance, I commute or sometimes I rid a taxi, so I will just pay P80 instead of P100 when I ride a taxi. I can save P20, which I can use to buy food or to pay for photocopies of my required readings,” he said.

But transport group Piston’s George San Mateo urged the Department of Education and the Commission on Higher Education to impose a system that will require students to present a stub to prove that they have school on weekends or summer breaks. – Abi Santa Ines | UNTV News & Rescue

QC Court stops implementation of Edsa provincial bus ban

Robie de Guzman   •   August 2, 2019

MANILA, Philippines – A local court has temporarily stopped the implementation of the highly-contested proposal to ban provincial buses from plying Epifanio delos Santos (Edsa).

In an order dated July 31 and released on August 2, the Quezon City Regional Trial Court Branch 223 has granted the writ of preliminary injunction filed by 18 transport groups against the scheme.

The QC court said it found “just cause” to stop the ban and schedule the case for hearings.

The court said it needs to hear the side of the defendants of the case – the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) and the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) considering that “the matter on hand greatly impacts the welfare of the public.”

The proposed policy of the MMDA and the LTFRB prohibits provincial buses from traversing Edsa to decongest traffic. It also seeks to revoke business permits and shut down the operation of all provincial bus terminals located along Edsa.

The LTFRB also amended last month the routes for provincial buses traveling along the major thoroughfare.

A dry run for the policy is supposed to begin on August 7.

The court notes in its order that these measures would have “far-reaching effects” to the businesses, employees and other contracts of provincial bus companies. It added that the shortened routes would also affect the salary of employees.

“While as a rule, the right to income or earning does not prevail over public welfare, in the instant case since the Court has as yet not been presented with a clear basis or sufficient justification for the issuances, there is no reason to consider these issuances to have priority over the Plaintiffs’ rights as well as those that would suffer from their implementation,” the order read.

The court also asked the MMDA and the LTFRB on why point-to-point (P2P) buses are given privilege of plying Edsa even if their sizes were similar to those of regular buses.

It further said that since the said agencies failed to file a response, “no explanation or study has been presented to this Court to aid the latter in determining whether the provincial buses are indeed the cause of ‘horrendous traffic’ and if their ban and closure of their terminals is the best solution.”

“In view of the absence of any evidence on behalf of the Public Defendants, the evidence provided so far by the Plaintiffs tend to show that indeed, there was abuse in the issuance of the subject LTFRB MC and MMDA Regulation,” the order read.

The court gave the Office of the Solicitor General (OSG), which represents the MMDA and the LTFRB, until August 14 to file a response to the case.

DOH to investigate on overstocking of medicines

Aileen Cerrudo   •   July 26, 2019

The Department of Health (DOH) will investigate the P18 billion-worth of overstocked medicines, based on the report of the Commission on Audit (COA).

These medicines were not able to be given out to different health centers and facilities across the country.

Several of the medicines that were overstocked include Metformin, for Diabetes, and vaccines against Japanese Encephalitis and Human Papillomavirus or HPV.

From the total amount of medicines, P400 million are nearing their expiration date.

Based on the COA reports, most of the medicines were purchased in 2016 and 2017.

“Pinai-imbestigahan na ni Secretary iyan, kasi bakit nga—hindi dapat nae-expire. Dapat ang unang ide- deliver iyon din ang unang ilalabas (The secretary already called for an investigation, why—those should not have expired. Those that had been delivered first should also be the first to be released),” according to DOH Spokesman Usec. Eric Domingo.

The DOH also assures personnel who are liable for the soon-to-be expired P400 million-worth of medicines.

The health department is also prepared to explain the situation in case Congress calls for a hearing on the issue.—AAC (with reports from Aiko Miguel)

TAGS   , ,

Anti-Red Tape body tells LTFRB to explain irregularities in TNVS policies

Robie de Guzman   •   July 24, 2019

MANILA, Philippines – The Anti-Red Tape Authority (ARTA) on Wednesday asked the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) to explain alleged irregularities in its policies for the application of permit for transport network vehicle service (TNVS).

In its show-cause order, the ARTA directed LTFRB Chairman Martin Delgra to explain within three days the purported delays in the processing of permits and other irregularities as complained by TNVS applicants.

Based on its order, the anti-red tape agency said that among the other irregularities “identified and determined” to have been committed by the LTFRB was its failure to enforce Memorandum Circular No. 2018-005; failure to conduct hearings and render decisions for an unreasonable length of time on applications for certificate of public convenience to operate TNVS; and implementing abrupt changes in the requirements and procedures for TNVS application without due notice to the public.

The ARTA said failure to explain the aforementioned issues could be tantamount to defying President Rodrigo Duterte’s order to stop red tape in the government.

In a message to reporters, Delgra confirmed he has received the notice and assured to submit an explanation addressing the allegations within the deadline.

ARTA’s order came after groups of TNVS driver and operators went offline earlier this month in protest of LTFRB’s alleged inconsistencies in its policies in terms of TNVS application and registration. (with details from Joan Nano)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+63) 396-8688 (Tel)

(+63) 2 920.8336 (Fax)

info@untvweb.com (General inquiries)

support@untvweb.com

UNTV News and Rescue Emergency Hotlines:

LANDLINE (+63) 396-8688

ADVERTISE WITH US

(+63) 2 442.6244 Loc. 143, 144, 162, 164

advertising@untvweb.com

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.