Ex-Senator Bongbong Marcos seeks dismissal of VP Leni Robredo’s counter-protest

admin   •   April 21, 2017   •   3417

MANILA – Former Senator Bongbong Marcos seeks the dismissal of the counter-protest filed by Vice President Leni Robredo.

Marcos argues that Robredo failed to comply with the order of the Presidential Electoral Tribunal (PET)  to pay an initial cash deposit of eight million pesos.

Based on PET’s rules, it can dismiss an election protest if the complainant fails to file a protest fee.

Marcos has also asked the tribunal anew to set a preliminary conference for his protest.

Robredo’s camp previously insisted that they will pay the said deposit only when the tribunal sees merit in the election protest of the former senator. — UNTV News & Rescue

OVP purchases P14-M worth of COVID-19 test kits developed by UP scientists

Aileen Cerrudo   •   April 24, 2020

The office of Vice President (OVP) Leni Robredo has purchased P14 million worth of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) test kits developed by the scientists from the University of the Philippines (UP).

In a statement, the OVP said the test kits will be delivered to hospitals certified as laboratories for COVID-19 testing. These include San Lazaro Hospital, Lung Center of the Philippines, V. Luna Hospital, and Bicol Regional Diagnostic and Reference Laboratory.

The testing kits will help in conducting a total of 10,000 tests.

The Department of Science and Technology (DOST) previously said the UP-National Institutes of Health (UP-NIH) and Philippine Genome Center aim to increase test kit production as well as increase COVID-19 testing capacity per day.

“With the deployment of the test kits, UP-NIH will increase its capacity to run more tests per day, as each unit of the GENAMPLIFY™ COVID-19 test kit can run 25 tests at once and provide results within two hours,” the DOST said in the statement.

Deputy Executive Director of the Philippine Genome Center Dr. Raul Destura said there is 8,000 to 10,000 tests produced daily and they aim to increase it by 16,000 tests per day by May 1. AAC (with reports from Vincent Arboleda)

PACC’s Belgica says colleague’s call to probe Robredo’s COVID-19 aid “a personal opinion”

Robie de Guzman   •   April 2, 2020

MANILA, Philippines – Presidential Anti-Corruption Commission (PACC) commissioner and Spokesperson Greco Belgica on Thursday clarified that the call of one of his colleagues to probe Vice President Leni Robredo’s fund drive and relief operations amid the COVID-19 crisis was just “his personal opinion.”

In a statement, Belgica said Commissioner Manuelito Luna’s statement calling on the National Bureau of Investigation to prove Robredo for allegedly competing with the government’s efforts to fight the spread of COVID-19 “was a personal opinion,” and “does not reflect the body’s sentiments.

“PACC is not asking anyone to investigate VP Leni Robredo. On the other hand, we are grateful to everyone who is helping the frontliners and the needy, including the VP,” he said.

“This is not the time for politicking. We are not concerned with any personality.  Our main concern is to make sure all the needy Filipinos get all the help they need the President promised,” he added.

He also said that the government’s immediate concern right now is to end the coronavirus pandemic, save lives, and rebuild the country and the lives of people after the crisis ends.

“Magtulungan po tayo. Maraming salamat po sa lahat ng tumutulong pati ang hindi lumalabas ng bahay. Tayo po ay nakakatulong sa ating pagsunod,” he said.

Robredo’s camp earlier slammed Luna’s statement, calling it “ridiculous” and “inappropriate” amid the COVID-19 threat.

Robredo’s spokesperson, Barry Gutierrez said VP Leni has mobilized groups and organized free transport to help health workers, government institutions, and ordinary Filipinos overcome the challenges they had to face due to the threat of infection.

“Anyone who insists that bringing much-needed assistance to hospitals, health workers, and poor Filipinos is somehow a ‘competition’ has absolutely no understanding of the gravity of the crisis we are all facing,” he said.

He assured that Robredo will continue to do all she can to help those in need in the midst of the coronavirus crisis.

Former Senator Bongbong Marcos tests positive for COVID-19

Robie de Guzman   •   March 31, 2020

MANILA, Philippines – Former Senator Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos, Jr. has tested positive for novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19), his spokesperson confirmed Tuesday, adding that his condition has started to improve.

In a statement, his spokesperson Victor Rodriguez said the test result was released by Research Institute for Tropical Medicine (RITM) on March 28.

“Gumaganda na ang kondisyong pangkalusugan ni dating Sen. Ferdinand ‘Bongbong’ Marcos, Jr. makaraang ihayag sa resulta ng clinical test na isinagawa ng Research Institute for Tropical Medicine (RITM) na siya’y positibo sa COVID-19,” Rodriguez said.

Marcos earlier said he took the coronavirus test after experiencing symptoms such as cough and sore throat when he arrived from a recent trip to Spain, which recorded over 3,000 deaths from COVID-19.

According to Rodriguez, Marcos went to a hospital on March 14 after experiencing chest pains but went home when he saw too many patients waiting at the time.

He said the only time that Marcos went out of their home again was on March 22 when he was rushed to an emergency room for having difficulty in breathing.

He was then tested for COVID-19 and was advised to undergo self-quarantine.

Marcos earlier said he is feeling better and thanked the doctors and nurses who attended to him.

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.