Ex-SAF chief sacked for plunder charges

admin   •   April 17, 2018   •   4103

FILE PHOTO: Former PNP-SAF Chief Benjamin Lusad

MANILA, Philippines — Former Philippine National Police (PNP) Special Action Force (SAF) chief and police director for Integrated Police Operations – Southern Luzon Benjamin Lusad has been sacked for plunder charges.

This is after the Office of the Ombudsman filed graft complaints against the police officer.

The case was due to his failure to release funds of SAF daily subsistence allowance in 2016 and 2017.

“There are two officers involved and two non-commissioned officers. Yung nasa SAF na dalawang natitirang non-commissioned officers had already been relieved,” PNP PIO chief PCSupt. John Bulalacao.

(There are two officers and two non-commissioned officers involved. The two SAF non-commissioned officers have already been relieved from their posts.)

According to Bulalacao, SAF budget and fiscal officer SSupt. Andre Dizon and his staff, SPO2 Maila Salazar Bustamante and SPO1 James Rica, have also been dismissed from their positions.

The spokesman said this is to give way to the Ombudsman’s investigation.

Outgoing PNP chief has previously stated that he was not convinced by Lusad’s explanation on the issue.

“Sabi ko ng kailangang harapin nila yan. Andyan na ang kaso. Kinasuhan sila sa ombudsman. Harapin nila yan,” Dela Rosa said.

(I said they need to face it. There’s already a case. The ombudsman filed charges against them. Face the charges.)

Currently, the PNP comptroller is conducting investigation and audit over the unreleased allowances.

“Tama na ang dapat managot at may kinalaman, basta’t lumabas lang ang katotohanan.  Therefore the PNP will closely coordinate with the ombudsman,” the PNP spokesperson said.

(Enough already with the finger-pointing, as long as the truth comes out. The PNP, therefore, will closely coordinate with the ombudsman.)

The subsistence allowance is worth P30 a day or P900 per month.  An estimated P59.8-million worth of allowance has been delayed for two years. — Lea Ylagan | UNTV News & Rescue

PNP eyes lifestyle check on cops to stop corruption

Aileen Cerrudo   •   October 30, 2020

The Philippine National Police (PNP) said it will also conduct lifestyle checks among its ranks following President Rodrigo Duterte’s order to end corruption in the government.

PNP Chief PGen. Camilo Cascolan said the agency will also make changes in the process of PNP frontline services to prevent corruption in the release of documents.

“Susundin po namin iyan by the book (We will follow it by the book) and we will strictly implement to those people who are actually violating and coming up with corruption practices,” he said.

Cascolan also assured to strictly monitor and file appropriate charges against PNP officials proven to be involved in irregularities or any form of corruption.

“We’ll we have stiff penalties with regard to that and they will be
given sanctions. We will also file cases against them if needed,” he said. AAC (with reports from Lea Ylagan)

PNP assures police visibility amid strict closure of cemeteries until Nov. 4

Aileen Cerrudo   •   October 29, 2020

The Philippine National Police (PNP) assured to conduct strict monitoring of cemeteries across the country amid closure from October 29 to November 4.

Commander of the Joint Task Force COVID Shield Police Lt. Gen. Guillermo Lorenzo Eleazar said they will deploy security at all entrances of the cemeteries and similar places. They will also conduct regular patrol of the vicinity.

“The real intention here is to discourage the influx of large number of people during Undas as part of the measures to contain the spread of the coronavirus,” he said.

Police Assistance Desk will be set up outside cemeteries to ensure that people will not be allowed even if they insist on entering the premises. A total of 2,967 Police Assistance Desks have been set up.

As of October 29, a total of 15,629 policemen were tasked to secure various cemeteries, columbaria and memorial parks while 4,958 more policemen were deployed as road safety marshals.

“Their task is to ensure that no person would be allowed to enter the cemeteries, memorial parks and columbaria from October 29 to November 4 and to ensure that peace and order and observation of minimum health safety standard protocols when these areas reopen on November 5,” Eleazar said.

The Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) had previously ordered local government units (LGU) to close all private and public cemeteries, memorial parks, and columbaria, as ordered by President Rodrigo Duterte.

“We are asking for the people’s cooperation by not going to the cemeteries, staying at home on October 29 to November 4, 2020 and visiting their departed relatives days before or weeks after the closure,” according to DILG Secretary Eduardo Año. AAC (with reports from Lea Ylagan)

PNP deploys search and rescue teams to Quinta-hit areas

Robie de Guzman   •   October 26, 2020

MANILA, Philippines – More than 1,000 members of police search and rescue teams have been deployed to assist in areas heavily battered by Typhoon Quinta, the Philippine National Police (PNP) said Monday.

PNP chief General Camilo Cascolan said the search and rescue teams will particularly help local government units in the implementation of forced evacuation in regions severely affected by the typhoon, as well as in areas highly susceptible to landslide and floods following heavy rains.

“We also have to re-echo the directive that we should be able to force evacuate those who are in high risk areas, most specially for flooding,” Cascolan said.

The PNP chief also ordered the deployment of additional 200 policemen to monitor residential areas whose homeowners were forced to evacuate due to the storm.

“We have policemen guarding these areas to prevent looting incidents from happening in those residences,” Cascolan said.

He added that more than 6,000 more police officers are on stand by for deployment.

Cascolan said he has also ordered police ground commanders to help in the distribution of food packs to families in evacuation centers through the PNP’s Food Bank program.

Typhoon Quinta caused flooding in some areas and forced thousands of residents to flee their homes.

Around 12 fishermen were also reported missing in Catanduanes.

The state weather bureau said the storm is expected to exit the Philippine area of responsibility on Tuesday morning. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Lea Ylagan)

Latest News

Gov’t forms COVID-19 Vaccine Immunization Team

October 30, 2020   •   7 hours ago

Manila LGU to open drive-through RFID installation

October 30, 2020   •   8 hours ago

NDRRMC braces for Typhoon Rolly

October 30, 2020   •   9 hours ago

Catch rare Blue Moon on Oct. 31

October 30, 2020   •   10 hours ago

PNP eyes lifestyle check on cops to stop corruption

October 30, 2020   •   11 hours ago

DA increases SRP on pork

October 30, 2020   •   12 hours ago

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.