Ex-DFA chief Del Rosario held at Hong Kong airport

Robie de Guzman   •   June 21, 2019   •   2027

Former Philippine Foreign Affairs Secretary Albert del Rosario

MANILA, Philippines – Former Philippine Foreign Affairs Secretary Albert del Rosario was held up by immigration officials when he arrived at Hong Kong International Airport on Friday morning.

“Yes, it’s true,” Philippine Consul Paul Saret, head of the Consulate’s assistance to nationals section, confirmed in a message to UNTV News and Rescue when asked if the report about Del Rosario being held up at the Hong Kong immigration was true.

Saret said they are trying to solve the issue first and refused to provide further details.

Del Rosario earlier told media in a message he was “detained” at the immigration office since he arrived at around 7:40 a.m. He added he has been asking for the reasons why he was being held up when he is carrying a diplomatic passport.

Del Rosario is in Hong Kong to attend First Pacific’s board and shareholders meeting.

Philippine Consul General in Hong Kong Antonio Morales, meanwhile, said in a radio interview that Del Rosario was waiting for clearance at the immigration area. He was accompanied by a representative from the Philippine Consulate.

Morales also said they had informed the Hong Kong authorities about Del Rosario’s arrival but they received no response to their request that he be allowed to use an immigration special lane.

Del Rosario, along with former Ombudsman Conchita Carpio-Morales, filed a communication against Chinese President Xi Jinping before the International Criminal Court in relation with Beijing’s activities in the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea).

It can be recalled that Carpio-Morales was also held up by immigration officers when she and her family visited Hong Kong in May.

READ: Morales on getting held at Hong Kong airport: ‘It was bullying’

Although Morales was eventually allowed entry to Hong Kong, she decided to just go back to the Philippines. She also called her temporary held-up at the airport a form of bullying.

Amnesty condemns ‘disproportionate use of force’ by Hong Kong police

Jeck Deocampo   •   September 20, 2019

Amnesty International accused Hong Kong police on Friday (September 19) of torture and other abuses in their handling of more than three months of sometimes violent pro-democracy protests, but the police have said they had shown restraint.

Anti-government protesters, many masked and wearing black, have thrown petrol bombs at the police and central government offices, stormed the Legislative Council, blocked roads to the airport, trashed metro stations and set fires on the streets of the Chinese-ruled city.

Police have responded with tear gas, water cannon, rubber bullets, bean bags and several live rounds fired in the air, warning the crowds beforehand with a series of different coloured banners. They have also been seen beating protesters on the ground with batons.

Amnesty East Asia director Nicholas Bequelim told Reuters a field investigation had documented “disproportionate use of force” by the Hong Kong Police Force as well as mistreatment of detainees, including “a couple cases of torture”.

Amnesty also said the investigation had found “exclusive evidence of torture and other ill-treatment in detention” and called into question the Hong Kong government’s whole approach to the protest movement.

There appeared to be a “level of incompetence” among the police force, with some instances of teargas being deployed without proper justification or clear purpose to maintain public order, Bequelim said.

Amnesty called on the Hong Kong government to conduct a dialogue with the protesters, and establish an independent investigation committee to look into the accusations of excessive use of force by police. (REUTERS)

(Production: Xihao Jiang, Joyce Zhou, Jiraporn Kuhakan, Alex Solum, Peter Blaza, Angie Teo)

Hong Kong is on the brink of rule of law crisis: FM spokeswoman

UNTV News   •   September 18, 2019

Chinese Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Hua Chunying

Hong Kong is facing a crisis of the rule of law and the most pressing task is to bring an end to the violence and restore social order in the city, a spokeswoman for the Chinese Foreign Ministry said Tuesday.

Hua Chunying, the spokeswoman, made the comment at a regular press briefing while responding to a reporter’s question about a Hong Kong lawmaker’s remarks at the UN Human Rights Council in Geneva on Monday.

Hua refuted the lawmaker’s statement that Hong Kong is on the “verge of a humanitarian crisis”.

“I think Hong Kong is indeed at the brink of a crisis now, but not a ‘humanitarian crisis’ as she alleged, but a crisis of the rule of law. Over the past two months or so, we have clearly seen how the situation in Hong Kong developed. I noted that journalists with CNN recently also turned their camera lens to those violent radicals who hurt ordinary people and passers-by. They waged crazy, heinous attacks and caused severe harms to the rule of law and security of the whole society,” said Hua.

Hua said that the most pressing and overriding task at the moment is to stop violence, end the chaos and restore the rule of law and order.

“What really needs to be investigated are those violent radicals and their criminal behaviors and the backstage manipulators, all of which have contributed to the seriously damaging, extreme violence in Hong Kong,” she said. (REUTERS)

Courageous Hong Kong resident recalls moment he unveiled rioter’s mask

UNTV News   •   September 17, 2019

A Hong Kong resident recalled the moments he took upon himself to unmask an unruly rioter and got beaten up by other protesters on Saturday.

Mr. Wan, who lives in Kowloon, went to the Amoy Plaza to take part in an activity of singing the Chinese national anthem after lunch. However, he became indignant when he saw a rioter in black cursing the participants.

“I saw a man covered from head to toe in black. His whole body was covered. He was so arrogant and was cursing at us for singing the national anthem. In the heat of the moment, I didn’t think much and was just enraged that he was acting that way just because he was masked,” said Wan.

Letting his emotion get the better of him, Wan crossed the street, headed towards the masked man and pulled out his mask to unveil his face to the public.

“I couldn’t bear him anymore. So I crossed the street to take off his mask. Once he was unmasked, the same arrogant guy who was denigrating and calling us names a second before became so frightened that he immediately fled the scene,” he said.

While some of the people at the scene filmed the moment Wan tore down the “fig leaf” of the rioter, some of the rioters attacked and beat him.

“There were five or six people hitting me, on my head and my body and were kicking me. I tried my best to protect myself from the attack before a number of national song singers came out to my rescue and pushed the rioters away. As their identities were exposed, they slip away for fear of being shot by camera,” Wan said.

Although Wan said that he was perhaps a little reckless at the time, the idea of uncovering the countenances of the so-called “protesters” drove him to such action.

“I have endured them for months. Their logic is that as long as they are masked, no one can recognize them, and they won’t be held of any responsibility no matter what they do. I think they should be responsible for whatever they do. We are all adults. There’s a very simple solution – just to take off their masks. It is well-accepted that one can express himself, but only in accordance with the laws. If there are no laws, how can we protect our families and govern our country,” he added.

Wan’s action has nearly granted him hero status among many of his acquaintances and online.

“My friends, my old classmates all say I did the right thing. They say ‘you got the guts’. I could take this responsibility. I could take this pain — it’s just some bleeding. I did what I’m supposed to do, what a Hong Kong resident is supposed to do, which is to defend Hong Kong, defend our country. We have to do this because if you stay silent, it’s like you are aiding them. I want to take their masks off. I want to hold them accountable for their actions,” said Wan.

Many people contacted Wan and provided him with cell phone footages of his interaction with the rioter and being ganged up by others, which inspired Wan to call the police.

Wan said it was a pity that the result of his action led him to miss the activity, but he is looking forward to the next opportunity to show his affection for the motherland.

“I ended up not being able to take part in the activity to sing the national song that day. But I hope to join the next one. I want more people to hear our voice with our singing of the national song and our support to ‘one country, two systems,'” he said. (REUTERS)


The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+63) 396-8688 (Tel)

(+63) 2 920.8336 (Fax)

info@untvweb.com (General inquiries)


UNTV News and Rescue Emergency Hotlines:

LANDLINE (+63) 396-8688


(+63) 2 442.6244 Loc. 143, 144, 162, 164



UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.