Estrada concedes, asks supporters to rally behind Isko Moreno

Robie de Guzman   •   May 15, 2019   •   4976

Outgoing Manila Mayor Joseph “Erap” Estrada | Courtesy : PVI-PRESS / Daniel Iglesias mylensitivity

MANILA, Philippines – Outgoing Manila Mayor Joseph “Erap” Estrada has conceded his defeat to newly-elected mayor Franscisco “Isko Moreno” Domagoso.

In a statement released late Tuesday, Estrada congratulated Domagoso on his win and promised to prepare for a smooth transition of government.

“The people of Manila have spoken. The new leadership of the city will be coming in and I will prepare the smooth turnover of the city government,” he said.

“I congratulate the new mayor and I wish him all the best for the good of the people of Manila,” he added.

Estrada lost to Domagoso by a wide margin in the Manila mayoral race. He received 210,605 votes against Domagoso’s 357,925, based on votes from 100 percent of election returns from clustered precincts.

He also expressed gratitude to those who helped and stood by him throughout the 50 years of his political career.

“By June 30, my 50 years in politics and public service will come to an end with sterling colors of honesty and genuine concerns for the poor,” he said in a statement.

“I wish to thank all those who stood by me for the last 5 decades of my political life,” he added.

Estrada joined the political arena in 1969 while he was still a popular film actor. He ran and won as mayor of San Juan City and was succeeded by his sons Jinggoy and John Victor “JV” Ejercito, followed by JV’s mother, Guia Gomez, when he sought national positions. He first ran as senator in 1987, then vice president in 1992, and finally president in 1998.

He was ousted in 2001 over corruption charges and convicted of plunder in 2007. He was later pardoned and returned to politics to become Manila mayor in 2013.

But his years of foray in politics suddenly came to an end after his defeat against Moreno. The Estrada-Ejercito clan’s 50-year reign in San Juan was also cut off after his granddaughter, Janella, failed in her mayoral bid against former vice mayor Francis Zamora.

READ: End of an era? Estrada-Ejercito clan suffers crushing defeat in 2019 polls

Estrada also called on his supporters to rally behind the mayor-elect for the betterment of the city.

“I am calling all my supporters to rally behind the new leadership of the city,” he said.

“Hangad natin ang katagumpayan ng bagong liderato para sa kabutihan ng nakararami (We hope for the success of the new leadership for the welfare of the majority ,” he added.

He also said that he will leave the new leader with a city with no debt because he was able to clear it during his term.

“Taas-noo tayong lalabas ng city hall dahil nabayaran natin ang lahat ng pagkakautang na P4.4B na aking dinatnan noong 2013,” he said

(I will leave the city hall with head held high because we were able to pay the P4.4 billion debt that I inherited in 2013.)

“Dinatnan ko ang lungsod na bangkarote. Sa pagtatapos ng aking termino, iiwanan ko ang lungsod na may P14 bilyong pondo bunga ng masinop na pamamahala at maingat na paggasta sa perang pag-aari ng mga mamamayan,” he said.

(I inherited a bankrupt city. As my term comes to an end, I will leave a city with P14 billion fund due to good governance and careful spending of the people’s money)

He did not say whether he will retire once his term ends or plans to make a political comeback. He just said that “there’s always life after politics.”  

Dizon denies involvement in Isko Moreno’s campaign team

Robie de Guzman   •   November 18, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – Testing czar Vince Dizon on Thursday denied claims he is part of the campaign team for a certain political candidate.

Dizon issued the statement after Lito Banayo, the chief campaign strategist of Mayor Isko, earlier said that Dizon has joined their team as deputy campaign manager and head of statistical research.

Earlier in the day, Malacañang also issued a statement denying Banayo’s claims.

“I confirm the statement of Cabinet Secretary and acting presidential spokesperson Karlo Nograles that I am not involved in any political campaign,” Dizon said.

“My focus is on the national government’s overall COVID-19 response and recovery, including the country’s vaccination program,” he added.

Dizon is also deputy chief implementer of the National Task Force (NTF) against COVID-19. He formerly served as president of the Bases Conversion and Development Authority but he quit the post last October.

Palace denies claims Vince Dizon joined Isko Moreno’s campaign team

Robie de Guzman   •   November 18, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – Malacañang on Thursday denied claims that Cabinet member, Secretary Vince Dizon has joined the campaign team of presidential hopeful Manila Mayor Francisco “Isko Moreno” Domagoso.

“There is no truth to the reports circulating that Secretary Vivencio ‘Vince’ Dizon allegedly joined the campaign team of a presidential aspirant,” Presidential Spokesperson Karlo Nograles said in a statement.

Nograles issued the statement after Lito Banayo, the chief campaign strategist of Mayor Isko, on Wednesday said that Dizon has joined their team as deputy campaign manager and head of statistical research.

Dizon serves as testing czar and deputy chief implementer of the National Task Force (NTF) against COVID-19.

“Sec. Dizon remains a working member of the Cabinet of the Duterte Administration as Presidential Adviser for COVID-19 response,” Nograles said.

“Sec. Dizon is focused on the vaccination efforts of government, and not with any political campaign,” he added.

Dizon formerly served as president of the Bases Conversion and Development Authority but he quit the post last October.

No more face shields in Manila

Maris Federez   •   November 8, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — Mayor Francisco ‘Isko Moreno’ Domagoso on Monday (November 8) ordered the lifting of the face shield mandate in the City of Manila.

This was after Moreno signed Executive Order No. 42 declaring the use of face shields as non-mandatory in the capital city, a statement from the Manila government said.

The order, however, does not cover hospital settings, medical clinics, and other medical facilities.

“’Yung inyong mga kahilingan, mga sulat, at messages na pag-aralan mabuti yung paggamit ng face shield, dininig na po ng inyong lingkod,” Domagoso said.

“Ang kailangan na lang nating gawin ay mag face mask para kahit paano maibsan ang inyong gastusin araw-araw dahil sa face shield na yan,” the local chief executive added.

The Executive Order cited a report that Interior and Local Government Secretary Eduardo Año said that many members of the Inter-Agency Tasked Force (IATF) favored the removal of face shields as a requirement.

It also noted the de-escalation of the alert level status of the National Capital Region, particularly in the City of Manila, last November 4.

The statement further mentioned Domagoso’s earlier appeal to the national government “to drop its face shield policy as it only adds to the expenses of the general public amid the COVID-19 pandemic” and “must focus on the procurement of medicines such as Tocilizumab and Remdesivir.”

“Rest assured na kapag bumuti nang bumuti ang sitwasyon sa tulong ng taong bayan ay luluwag ng luluwag. Bibilisan lang natin ang ating kilos, tingin ko mapupunta na tayo sa new normal,” Domagoso said.

The local chief executive directed the Bureau of Permit and Licenses Office, the Manila Barangay Bureau, the Manila Health Department, and hospital directors to affect the information dissemination and strict implementation of the order which shall take effect immediately. —/mbmf

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.