MANILA, Philippines – Malacañang assured the public that the government will look into hard data in deciding for the next community quarantine classification to be imposed on the country.
Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-MEID) will use science as its basis in determining the readiness of the National Capital Region (NCR) and other parts of the country to shift to less strict quarantine status.
“The Inter-Agency Task Force (IATF) decides on the basis of science and hard data. The members of the IATF, in their next meeting, would look into the analytics of the healthcare system of the National Capital Region Plus and the country,” Roque said in a statement on Sunday.
“Specifically, it will review the attack rate and the hospital care utilization rate while checking the economic health of the nation,” he added.
Collectively called NCR Plus, the NCR and four nearby provinces of Bulacan, Cavite, Rizal, and Laguna were placed under modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ) until April 30. The NCR Plus was placed under ECQ in late March due to the surge in COVID-19 infections.
Roque said the IATF is using a “whole-of-government” approach in responding to the COVID-19 situation.
“Our approach is whole-of-government and our overarching goal is to promote the total health of Filipinos, including people who have been marginalized due to loss of jobs and have experienced poverty as a result because of the imposition of strict lockdowns,” he said.
The Philippines has so far recorded a total of 997,523 COVID-19 infections with 903,665 recoveries and 16,783 fatalities. Of the total cases, 77,075 remain active.