Esperon assures following Duterte’s orders in defending West PH Sea
Aileen Cerrudo • May 14, 2021 • 272
MANILA, Philippines — National Security Adviser and Chairman of the National Task Force for the West Philippine Sea Sec. Hermogenes Esperon said they will follow President Rodrigo Duterte’s orders in defending the West Philippine Sea.
The President previously said that he will not back down and will not order the retreat of the two vessels that the country deployed in patrolling the Kalayaan Islands and the Mischief Reef.
“Hindi talaga ako aatras. Patayin mo man ako kung patayin mo ako, dito ako. Dito magtatapos ang ating pagkakaibigan,” he said during a public address.
(I will not back down. Kill me, I will be here. This is where our friendship ends.)
In a separate interview in Politiscoop, Esperon said they are prepared to follow the President’s orders which includes deploying military ships in case there is an excavation of natural gas in the disputed islands.
“May utos na po ang pangulo natin diyan. Alam na natin gagawin diyan,” he said.
(The President has a directive. We already know what to do.)
Esperon also noted that the country is using satellite technology to monitor unauthorized sea vessels entering the country’s territory.
He added that the task force, in coordination with the Philippine Space Agency, aims to boost the country’s satellite technology.
“Actually mayroon tayong nova satellite diyan run by the Philippine Space Agency at pinapalawig pa natin ang ating kakayahan tungkol sa satellite. For now ang ginagamit na ay ang flight maritime patrols, sovereign patrols ng Air Force ng navy,” he said.
(Actually, we have a nova satellite run by the Philippine Space Agency and we are still expanding our capability with regards to the satellite. For now, we are using flight maritime patrols, the sovereign patrols of the Air Force.)
Amid the tension between the disputed islands, the President reiterated that the country is avoiding any conflict in the region. But he said that China should still respect the country’s position on the issue. –AAC (with reports from Nel Maribojoc)
MANILA, Philippines — Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) chief of staff Cirilito Sobejana visited Pag-asa Island amid the territorial dispute between the Philippines and China over the West Philippine Sea.
In a statement, the AFP said Sobejana visited the island on Monday along with key officers from the General Headquarters and the Western Command.
The visit was in connection to the conversion of the island into a logistics hub that seeks to sustain the Philippine government forces deployed in the area.
The trip also aims to uplift the morale and welfare of troops securing Pag-asa Island and other communities within the Kalayaan Island Group.
“The AFP will strike a balance between mission accomplishments and looking after the morale and welfare of our men and women,” Sobejana said, addressing the military force manning the Naval Station Emilio Liwanag on Pag-asa Island.
The AFP chief also stressed the importance of the troop’s role in protecting the citizens of Kalayaan Group of Islands and their livelihood as well as guarding the country’s territories in the West Philippine Sea.
The AFP said it recently deployed additional air and naval assets under the operational control of Western Command (WESCOM) in Palawan to support the National Task Force-WPS together with the Philippine Coast Guard and Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources in performing sovereignty patrols in the area.
Prior to visiting Pag-asa Island, the Chief of Staff met with the troops of the 3rd Marine Brigade to extend the AFP’s commendation for keeping the Province of Palawan peaceful, stable and progressive.
He also lauded the unit’s contributions in security operations, civil military operations, stakeholder’s engagement and on COVID-19 mitigation which are vital in the over-all mission accomplishment of WESCOM and the AFP as a whole.
The AFP Chief also visited BRP Emilio Jacinto (PS35), one of the many ships currently deployed at WESCOM while docked at Puerto Princesa City Pier, to commend the their efforts in protecting the sovereignty and territorial integrity of the country particularly in the West Philippine Sea.
He likewise lauded the officers and personnel for their role in the successful rescue of 31 fishermen of MB Pauline 2 at Nares Bank, WPS on May 24.
MANILA, Philippines – Thirty-one Filipino fishermen were rescued at the vicinity of Nares Bank in the West Philippine Sea after their boat sank on Sunday, authorities said.
In a new release on Tuesday, the Naval Forces West (NFW) said the rescue operation was conducted after it received a radio signal from a fishing boat called FB Española reporting about FB Pauline 2.
The FB Pauline 2 suffered a hull derangement. It also had a hole on its freeboard since and began to take in seawater.
“Immediately, the boat captain of FB Pauline 2, identified as Mr Placido Asusina, called for distress signal to alert any boats in the vicinity. This distress signal was received by FB Española which in turn relayed the information to NFW before proceeding to FB Pauline 2 to render assistance,” the NFW said.
The naval force said it sent the BRP Emilio Jacinto (PS35) to render assistance to the distressed fishing boat.
The fishermen were received on aboard PS35 on May 24 where they were “medically checked, given food and given accommodation.”
MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte is looking to meet with his predecessors to discuss China’s continued presence in the West Philippine Sea, Malacañang said Thursday.
Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque issued the statement when asked for a comment on former military chief and Senator Rodolfo Biazon’s proposal to convene the National Security Council (NSC) over the Duterte administration’s “confusing” stand on Manila’s maritime dispute with Beijing.
Roque insisted that there is nothing confusing with President Duterte’s stand on the sea row as his policy towards China is to temporarily set aside disagreements on some issues and push through with other matters, such as commerce and investments, that will benefit the country.
He also reiterated that the present administration will never give away a territory and will stand firm and protect the national sovereignty and sovereign rights.
But instead of convening the NSC, Roque said the president is mulling over meeting with former presidents and other personalities to tackle the issue.
“Nabanggit po yan sa akin ng presidente. Ang problema dun sa National Security Council, wala naman pong nare-resolve dun sa mga pagkakataon na naka-attend siya so kung kinakailangan, iniisip niya na imbitahin ang mga dating presidente, ilang mga personalidad na magkaroon ng isang pagpupulong to discuss the issue,” he said.
“Pero ang tingin po niya, may mga karanasan po siya sa National Security Council, eh walang resolusyon na nangyayari so parang bakit pa, eh pwede naman po yang through informal consultations,” he added.
The NSC is an advisory body on the proper coordination and integration of plans and policies affecting national security and foreign policy. It is composed of concerned officials of the Cabinet and Congress as members, as well as other government officials and relevant personalities who may be invited by the president.
Roque said there is no date yet for the possible meeting as this is still in the process of consideration. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Rosalie Coz)
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.