Entry of foreigners to PH still restricted under extended community quarantine – BI
Robie de Guzman • April 24, 2020 • 954
MANILA, Philippines – Travel, as well as entry of foreign nationals into the country will remain restricted under the extended enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) against novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19), the Bureau of Immigration (BI) said Friday.
In a statement, the BI said travel restrictions imposed by the government to prevent further transmission of COVID-19 remains following the announcement of President Rodrigo Duterte to extend the ECQ in Metro Manila and other high-risk areas until May 15.
Places identified as moderate or low-risk shall be under general community quarantine starting May 1.
BI Commissioner Jaime Morente said only Filipinos, their foreign spouse and children, accredited foreign government and international organization officials, and foreign airline crew shall remain eligible to enter the Philippines.
On the other hand, only foreign nationals, permanent residents and student visa holders abroad, and Overseas Filipino Workers, shall be allowed to exit the country.
“We are on standby to implement any changes in travel restrictions, as deemed necessary by the President upon recommendation by the IATF,” Morente said.
“This is a sacrifice we must all take in order to ensure that we flatten the curve and prevent the further spread of this virus,” he added.
The BI has previously scaled down its operations and workforce after several airlines canceled flights due to travel restrictions amid the COVID-19 outbreak.
The caravan will be held from October 31 to November 1 at the Kartilya ng Katipunan near Manila City Hall in Ermita, Manila. The drive-through RFID installation will be open from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. and will accommodate class 1 vehicles which are cars, SUVs and passenger vans only.
Motorists do not need to prepare any documents but must prepare P200 for the initial load. Authorities also advised motorists to wear face masks and face shields. AAC
A 24-hour liquor ban will be reimposed in Davao City from November 2 to December 31, Mayor Sara Duterte said.
Under Executive Order No. 59, Duterte ordered the ban of sale, serving, and consumption of alcoholic beverages in public effective 5 a.m. of November 2.
The reimposition of the liquor ban stemmed from the results of City Health Office contact tracing of patients positive of the coronavirus showing their exposure during drinking sessions.
“There is an urgent need to reimpose a 24-hour liquor ban in Davao City to prevent the exposure of individuals to the COVID-19 virus because of their unbridled drinking sessions,” Duterte said in the order.
Mayor Sara also emphasized the necessity to reimpose the 24-hour liquor ban as another preventive step to control gatherings and stop the cases from spiking because the Southern Philippines Medical Center (SPMC) and Temporary Treatment and Monitoring Facilities (TTMFs) has reached their full occupancy of the COVID-19.
To recall, Duterte lifted the 24-hour liquor ban on September 21 after six months of restrictive community quarantine.
The city government warned to impose a one strike rule on establishments violating the liquor ban.
The city’s Vices Regulation Unit and Barangay Council were also tasked to conduct vigorous surveillance of all restaurants, fast-food, sari-sari stores, and similar establishments and must immediately move for the closure of an establishment after a single violation is properly documented.
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.