End of an era? Estrada-Ejercito clan suffers crushing defeat in 2019 polls
Robie de Guzman • May 14, 2019 • 3827
MANILA, Philippines – Is it time for the Ejercito-Estrada clan to take a break from politics?
The clan’s patriarch, former president and reelectionist Manila mayor Joseph “Erap” Estrada is losing by a wide margin to mayoral contender Francisco “Isko Moreno” Domagoso.
Based on the Commission on Elections (Comelec) partial, unofficial results as of 3:50 p.m. on Tuesday with 99.06 percent of election returns, Domagoso has garnered 354,327 votes while Estrada got 208,561.
Moreno previously served as vice mayor to Erap from 2013 to 2016. He joined but lost the senatorial race in 2016.
With Erap’s loss came the failed mayoral bid of his granddaughter Janella Ejercito Estrada in San Juan City.
Janella, daughter of senatorial aspirant Jinggoy Estrada, who got 24,813 votes was beaten by former vice mayor Francis Zamora who garnered 35,060 votes.
Zamora’s victory ended the Ejercito-Estrada clan’s nearly 50-year reign in the city. The Estrada clan took hold of San Juan City since 1969 when then popular actor Estrada won as mayor. He was succeeded by his sons Jinggoy and JV Ejercito then JV’s mother Guia Gomez to whom Zamora narrowly lost his bid for mayor in 2016.
The Zamoras and Estradas were family friends for 30 years until Francis and Guia both ran in the mayoralty race in 2016. Francis claimed he was cheated in the election.
Meanwhile, Erap’s nephew ER Ejercito failed in his bid for governor in Laguna against reelectionist governor Ramil Hernandez.
His other nephew, Gary Estrada Ejercito also lost in Cainta, Rizal’s vice mayoralty race against Ace Servillion.
In the senate race, Erap’s sons Joseph Victor “JV” Ejercito and Jinggoy Estrada are trailing beyond the top 12. JV is currently at 13th spot with 13,866,130 votes while his brother Jinggoy is at 15th with 11,018,985 votes as of 3:50 pm with 99.06 percent of election returns.
End of an era?
Did the May 13 midterm elections signal the end of a political era for the Estrada-Ejercito clan?
According to political analyst, Professor Edmund Tayao, Erap’s defeat could mean that the Manila voters are looking for a new leader who could bring significant changes to the city.
“Erap was considered as some kind of alternative having been a previous president, so many may have thought he would be a better Mayor compared to [Alfredo] Lim but after two terms there was not much change that happened,” Tayao told UNTV News and Rescue in an interview.
Tayao also believes that the previous rift between JV and Jinggoy have damaged their chances of winning in Senate race.
“Ang naka-contribute pa dito yung masyadong negative campaign, below the belt yung ginawa niya against his own brother, that boomeranged on him,” he said in reference to the half-brothers’ disagreements in the past.
“So, instead of maintaining his supposed advantage over his half-brother, nabaligtad ang pangyayari, mas binoto ng tao si JV Ejercito,” he added.
The two brothers had admitted to a tepid relationship after JV decided to use the Estrada name to boost his political image. Their relationship also turned sour at the height of the 2013 pork barrel scam.
Tayao said that based on his personal assessment of the general election results, Filipino voters seemed to be looking for new names and faces in politics who could deliver positive results.
“What is shown to the general results of the elections which is across the board, nage-experiment ang mga tao, ayaw na nila ng more of the same so they elected a different sort of combination,” he said. (with details from Nel Maribojoc)
MANILA, Philippines – Testing czar Vince Dizon on Thursday denied claims he is part of the campaign team for a certain political candidate.
Dizon issued the statement after Lito Banayo, the chief campaign strategist of Mayor Isko, earlier said that Dizon has joined their team as deputy campaign manager and head of statistical research.
Earlier in the day, Malacañang also issued a statement denying Banayo’s claims.
“I confirm the statement of Cabinet Secretary and acting presidential spokesperson Karlo Nograles that I am not involved in any political campaign,” Dizon said.
“My focus is on the national government’s overall COVID-19 response and recovery, including the country’s vaccination program,” he added.
Dizon is also deputy chief implementer of the National Task Force (NTF) against COVID-19. He formerly served as president of the Bases Conversion and Development Authority but he quit the post last October.
MANILA, Philippines – Malacañang on Thursday denied claims that Cabinet member, Secretary Vince Dizon has joined the campaign team of presidential hopeful Manila Mayor Francisco “Isko Moreno” Domagoso.
“There is no truth to the reports circulating that Secretary Vivencio ‘Vince’ Dizon allegedly joined the campaign team of a presidential aspirant,” Presidential Spokesperson Karlo Nograles said in a statement.
Nograles issued the statement after Lito Banayo, the chief campaign strategist of Mayor Isko, on Wednesday said that Dizon has joined their team as deputy campaign manager and head of statistical research.
Dizon serves as testing czar and deputy chief implementer of the National Task Force (NTF) against COVID-19.
“Sec. Dizon remains a working member of the Cabinet of the Duterte Administration as Presidential Adviser for COVID-19 response,” Nograles said.
“Sec. Dizon is focused on the vaccination efforts of government, and not with any political campaign,” he added.
Dizon formerly served as president of the Bases Conversion and Development Authority but he quit the post last October.
MANILA, Philippines — Mayor Francisco ‘Isko Moreno’ Domagoso on Monday (November 8) ordered the lifting of the face shield mandate in the City of Manila.
This was after Moreno signed Executive Order No. 42 declaring the use of face shields as non-mandatory in the capital city, a statement from the Manila government said.
The order, however, does not cover hospital settings, medical clinics, and other medical facilities.
“’Yung inyong mga kahilingan, mga sulat, at messages na pag-aralan mabuti yung paggamit ng face shield, dininig na po ng inyong lingkod,” Domagoso said.
“Ang kailangan na lang nating gawin ay mag face mask para kahit paano maibsan ang inyong gastusin araw-araw dahil sa face shield na yan,” the local chief executive added.
The Executive Order cited a report that Interior and Local Government Secretary Eduardo Año said that many members of the Inter-Agency Tasked Force (IATF) favored the removal of face shields as a requirement.
It also noted the de-escalation of the alert level status of the National Capital Region, particularly in the City of Manila, last November 4.
The statement further mentioned Domagoso’s earlier appeal to the national government “to drop its face shield policy as it only adds to the expenses of the general public amid the COVID-19 pandemic” and “must focus on the procurement of medicines such as Tocilizumab and Remdesivir.”
“Rest assured na kapag bumuti nang bumuti ang sitwasyon sa tulong ng taong bayan ay luluwag ng luluwag. Bibilisan lang natin ang ating kilos, tingin ko mapupunta na tayo sa new normal,” Domagoso said.
The local chief executive directed the Bureau of Permit and Licenses Office, the Manila Barangay Bureau, the Manila Health Department, and hospital directors to affect the information dissemination and strict implementation of the order which shall take effect immediately. —/mbmf
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.