Emergency Hotlines: LANDLINE (+63) 2 911 – 8688

Eight wounded in an ambush by NPA rebels in General Luna, Quezon

by UNTV News   |   Posted on Wednesday, February 28th, 2018

The military truck ambushed by the alleged NPA rebels in Quezon 

QUEZON, Philippines —Five soldiers and three civilians were wounded in an ambush by suspected members of the New People’s Army (NPA) in General Luna, Quezon Province, Tuesday.

The military said the soldiers of the 514th Engineering Construction Battalion of the Philippine Army 51st Brigade were on board a truck when an improvised explosive device (IED) exploded Barangay Bacong, General Luna, Quezon.

Shortly afterward, armed men shot them multiple times.

The wounded military troops were identified as Pfc. Marlon Mercaida, Pvt. King Philip Villalva, Pfc. Addy Mayor, Pfc. Jorge Assistin Jr. and Pfc. Banjodel Rosario.

Three civilians on board a passing jeep were also injured.

“Ang nangyari po sa amin, yung sinasakyan po nila saka yung sinasakyan namin ay nagkatapatan, then sumabog tapos nagkaputukan na (Our vehicles were parallel to each other when the explosion occurred),” said Hazel Macalalad, one of the victims.

“Yun pong sakay po ng Philippine Army ay kasalukuyang ginagamot po dito sa Bondoc Peninsula, Catanauan, Quezon at sila naman po ay nasa maayos na kalagayan at ligtas sa anumang kapahamakan,” said Gen. Luna police chief PSI. Eliezer Cayco.

(Those on board the Philippine Army vehicle are being treated at the Bondoc Peninsula, Catanauan, Quezon. They are now in good condition and are safe from any danger.)

Authorities are now pursuing the group responsible for the attack. —Bernard Dadis | UNTV News & Rescue

Tags: , ,

Ex-soldier nabbed for peddling illegal drugs in Parañaque City

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Friday, October 26th, 2018

PARAÑAQUE CITY, Philippines – A discharged member of the Philippine Army was arrested in a busy bust operation inside the parking lot of a mall in Parañaque City around 5:00 p.m. Thursday (October 25).

The operation targeted Johnvhen Arnaiz alias Bossing, a former soldier, who was reported to have been peddling shabu.

“Itong bentahan ng drugs, hindi ito maliit; medyo may kalakihan. And we were able to find out na itong involved sa pagtutulak ng droga ay isang discharged na member ng Philippine Army,” explained NCRPO Director Guillermo Eleazar.

Along with Arnaiz, the authorities also nabbed his two accomplices Valentin Arnaiz and Joseph Cabatbat.

Authorities seized from the suspects four plastic packets containing 200 grams of suspected shabu valued at more than P1.3 million.

Also recovered from the suspects were a .45 calibre pistol, live bullets and the marked money.

The suspects will face charges for violating R.A. 9165 or the Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002. – Marje Pelayo (with reports from Asher Cadapan Jr.)

Tags: , , ,

Raid of NPA safe house in Rizal nabs 8, yields high-powered firearms

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Wednesday, September 26th, 2018

courtesy: 2ID Philippine Army

RIZAL, Philippines – Members of the Philippine Army’s (PA) 80th Infantry Battalion together with operatives from the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) raided Coral Farm in Sitio Dalig in the municipality of Teresa on Tuesday (September 25) where authorities seized high-powered firearms.

The property, believed to be a safe house of top New People’s Army (NPA) leaders in the area, had been under military surveillance in recent months.

The NPA leaders who were said to be frequent visitors of the farm are Armando Lazarte alias Pat/Romano, the secretary of the NPA’s Sub-Regional Military Area 4A, and Tirso Alcantara alias Bart, the former commander of the NPA terrorists’ Regional Yunit Guerilla.

According to 202nd Infantry Brigade Commander BGen. Arnulfo Marcelo Burgos Jr. the success of the operation meant that the authorities thwarted another “Red October” movement that aimed at destabilizing the government by ousting President Rodrigo Duterte.

“The presence of top NPA leaders and the proximity of Teresa town to Manila are indicators that the threat of “Red October” cannot be downplayed and that the plotters are just waiting for an opportunity to execute their plans,” the General said.

Recovered from the raid were four M653 (baby Armalite) rifles; one M203 Grenade Launcher; five U.S. made 12-gauge shotguns; one caliber .45 pistol; one caliber .38 revolver; one 9mm KG3 machine pistol; six units of two-way radios; two grenades; eight cellphones; enemy documents and numerous war materiel as well as weapon system accessories.

courtesy: 2ID Philippine Army

Eight personalities were nabbed from the operation including the owner of the farm, Ki Be E alias Lily Ong.

Lt. Col. Melencio Ragudo, Commander of the 80th Infantry Battalion said two of the M653s belonged to alias Bart and the other two, including the grenades, were owned by alias Pat, citing testimony from one of the apprehended persons.

courtesy: 2ID Philippine Army

Major General Rhoderick  Parayno, Commander of the PA 2ID commended the team for the successful operations which “preempted the destabilization plot” and vowed to preserve the “Filipino people’s peaceful and democratic way of life by ensuring order across our area of responsibility.” — Marje Pelayo (with reports from Jennica Cruz)

 

Tags: , , , ,

LGU donates P30M worth of med equipment to Quezon Medical Center

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Monday, July 16th, 2018

QUEZON Province, Philippines – The local government of Quezon province provided medical equipment and facilities worth P30 million to Quezon Medical Center (QMC) to accommodate the influx of patients that has surpassed the hospital bed capacity imposed by the Department of Health (DOH).

The Quezon Medical Center only has 200-bed capacity but currently has 600 daily occupancies.

For instance, the OB ward at present has more than 200 patients.

“Hindi talaga nauubos iyong ilan sa mga problema pero positive tayo dahil tutuloy naman ang intervention ng provincial government para sa mga additional facilities at equipment nang magkaroon talaga ng effective at efficient services dito sa atin sa Quezon Med,” said Quezon Province Provincial Administrator, Rommel Edaño Jr.

Among the equipment granted are ultrasound, 2D echo machine, digital X-ray, dialysis machine and 17 beds in the pay annex building of QMC.

The management said they cannot refuse any patient, so they continue to find ways to accommodate everyone.

The local government of Quezon assured that despite the huge number of patients, the provincial hospital will continue to provide quality service.

“Ang mga abusado mga masusungit at mga hindi nagtatrato ng maayos sa ating mga pasyente ay lalapatan po iyan ng karampatang kaparusahan, hanggang sa extreme siguro na ma-terminate natin at matanggal ang mga abusadong mga masusungit na personnel,” Edaño said. – Japhet Cablaida / UNTV News and Rescue

Tags: ,