MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte has assured teachers that their awaited pay increase will be given this year.
Duterte made the promise when he arrived in Davao City on Sunday from his five-day visit to Russia.
However, he clarified that the pay hike will not be doubled and may only be about 35 percent.
“It’s coming, their increases. But not doubled. Mas marami ang teachers (There are a lot more teachers). Pero nandiyan po, dadating yan this year (But it is there, it’s coming this year),” he said.
“I think it’s about — the last time they were discussing was about 35 (percent) but it could be more. I do not know,” he added.
When asked when the salary increase for teachers will be implemented, Duterte replied with: “You know government is such a very complex animal. And you cannot just… If I give you the timeline tapos I could not make it on the deadline, I have to explain more than what is expected of government.”
“Mas mabuti na lang ‘yan kung nandiyan na, sinasabi ko nandiyan na ‘yan. Basta sinabi ko may increase din sila, (It is better to say it is forthcoming. I said they would get increase)” he added.
The clamor for teachers’ pay increase came after the Duterte government hiked the salaries for soldiers, police officers and other uniformed personnel last year.
Teachers’ groups have been asking the government for salary increase, ranging from P10,000 to P30,000, saying their present pay is no longer enough to sustain their needs. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Janice Ingente)
MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte on Friday extended the period of the state of calamity declared in the country due to the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic.
Under Proclamation No. 1021, which was signed on Sept. 16, Duterte extended the state of calamity declaration for one year, effective Sept. 13, 2020 to Sept. 12, 2021 “unless earlier lifted or extended as circumstances may warrant.”
The president first declared the Philippines under a state of calamity on March 16 due to the COVID-19 pandemic but it already expired as it was only for a period of six months.
Duterte said the extension will effectively afford the national government, as well as local government units, ample latitude to continue utilizing appropriate funds, including Quick Response Funds, in their disaster preparedness and response efforts to contain the spread of COVID-19.
He added that it would also help in monitoring and controlling prices of basic necessities and prime commodities, and provide basic services to the affected populations.
The chief executive also enjoined government agencies and local government units to “continue rendering full assistance to and cooperation with each other and mobilize necessary resources to undertake critical, urgent, and appropriate disaster response aid and measures in a timely manner to curtail and eliminate the threat of COVID-19.”
Duterte also directed the military and other law enforcement agencies to “continue undertaking all necessary measures to ensure peace and order in affected areas, as may be necessary.” – RRD (with details from Correspondent Rosalie Coz)
MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte is expected to extend the declaration of a state of calamity in the country amid the continuing threat of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19), Malacañang said Thursday, September 17.
The Philippines is under a six-month state of calamity declared by Duterte last March 16 as he placed Luzon under community quarantine to curb the spread of the virus.
The declaration enabled the government to use quick response funds to deal with the public health crisis.
Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said a document on the extension has already been forwarded to the Office of the President and is expected to be signed by Duterte.
“Definitely, it’s in the desk of the president, probably signed by now,” he said.
The country has so far recorded a total of 276,289 COVID-19 cases, of which 63,408 are active.
The total number of reported recoveries is at 208,096 while the number of fatalities is 4,785. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Rosalie Coz)
MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte has directed several government agencies to coordinate and pool their resources for the production and distribution of face masks amid the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic.
Under Memorandum Order No. 49 signed by Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea and issued Wednesday, Duterte directed the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) to lead other government agencies for the initiative.
These agencies include the Department of Health (DOH), Technical Education and Skills Development Authority (TESDA), Department of Budget and Management (DBM), Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD), and the Presidential Management Staff (PMS).
Among the tasks of the DTI is to consolidate the efforts of micro, small, and medium enterprises (MSME) as well as cooperatives and community organizations for the production of face masks.
The DTI is also directed to support TESDA in gaining access to production networks and supplier markets for raw materials and finished products.
The DTI will also coordinate with the DOH to determine the minimum, most cost-efficient and good quality specifications to ensure that the face masks are effective in preventing the transmission of COVID-19.
The DBM will help in the procurement of face masks while the DSWD will be tapped to identify beneficiaries and distribute the government-procured masks to financially disadvantaged and persons with disability, as well as those enrolled under the Pantawid Pamilyang Pilipino program.
The PMS will monitor the distribution and consolidate a report to be submitted to the president.
Other government agencies and state-run companies were also directed to cooperate and support the program.
“It is imperative to reinforce non-pharmaceutical interventions, such as minimizing face-to-face interaction, wearing of face masks and face shields, and observing social distancing to complement our healthcare facilities and support our health workers in containing the further spread of the COVID-19 virus,” the memorandum read. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Rosalie Coz)
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.