Emergency Hotlines: LANDLINE (+63) 2 911 – 8688

Duterte to reward policemen for every neutralized ‘narco-cop’

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Wednesday, 7 November 2018 10:18 AM

FILE PHOTO: President Rodrigo Duterte. | PCOO/Albert Alcain

MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte on Tuesday (November 6) commended members of the Philippine National Police (PNP) who were able to neutralize an alleged “ninja-cop” identified as Supt. Santiago Ylanan Rapiz.

Rapiz was a logistics officer in Zamboanga Del Norte Provincial Police. He resisted arrest and was killed when he attempted to escape in a buy-bust operation in Dipolog City on Monday night.

Rapiz was among the personalities in President Duterte’s drug watchlist for being a protector of the slain drug lord Melvin Odicta.

President Duterte said he will reward those who were able to neutralize Rapiz.

Likewise, the President said he is willing to reward any policeman who will able to neutralize the “bosses” operating illegal drugs trade in the country.

“Tama iyon. I am going to reward that policeman, any policeman who will kill a superior because the superior is into drugs, I will give you a price. A trip to Hong Kong or (perhaps) you want to convert it into money,” the Chief Executive said.

The President clarified, however, that he is not withdrawing the P3M reward to whosoever can arrest or neutralize a “ninja-cop” involved in illegal drugs.

President Duterte reiterated his stand that illegal drugs will do no good to the country as it will only corrupt government officials and even policemen.

He considers the illegal drug menace as a national security issue and so he insists his power to call the military in order to extend help to the national police in resolving the matter.

“This is already a national conflagration. the police are there and everybody else pati kayong mga mayor, bantay kayo and also the barangay captains. I will get to you, one way or the other maabutan ko talaga kayo. pag magabot tayo sorry na lang,” the President warned. – Marje Pelayo (with reports from Rosalie Coz)

Tags: , ,

Duterte signs Philippine Occupational Therapy Law

by UNTV News   |   Posted on Tuesday, 19 March 2019 07:51 PM

President Rodrigo Duterte has signed Republic Act 11241 or Philippine Occupational Therapy Law which will regulate the practice of occupational therapy in the country.

Duterte signed it on March 11 and was released to the media on Tuesday.

Under the said law, there will be a Board of Occupational Therapy under the supervision of the Professional Regulation Commission (PRC).

This board will supervise and regulate the registration, license and practice of occupational therapy in the country.

“It shall develop and nurture competent, virtuous, productive and well-rounded occupational therapists whose standards of practice shall be excellent, world class and globally competitive through inviolable, honest, effective and credible licensure examinations and through regulatory measures, programs and activities that foster their continuing professional growth,” the law states.

There will also be a license examination which will be open to Filipino and foreign occupational therapists. Passers will have to meet the requirement of 75% general average with no grade lower than 60% in any subject.

Occupational therapists treat patients patients that have physical, sensory, or cognitive disability. They help develop, recover, improve, as well as maintain the skills needed for daily living and working.—Aileen Cerrudo

Tags: , , ,

Duterte signs law abolishing Road Board

by UNTV News   |   Posted on Tuesday, 19 March 2019 05:23 PM

President Rodrigo Duterte has finally signed the law abolishing the controversial Road Board.

The Republic Act 11239 was enacted on March 8, according to the document released by Malacañang on Tuesday (March 19).

The newly-signed law abolishes the Road Board which previously managed the road user’s tax or Motor Vehicle User’s Charge (MVUC) for repair and maintenance of roads.

Under the measure, the monies collected from the MVUC will now be remitted to the National Treasury Bureau under a special account in the General Fund.

The law states that the collected fund “should be earmarked solely for the construction, upgrading, repair and rehabilitation of roads, bridges, and road drainage to be included in the yearly General Appropriations Act.”

A Congressional Oversight Committee will also be established to monitor the implementation of this act and the use of special funds.

The committee shall be composed of five members each from the Lower House and Senate to be appointed by the Speaker of the House and Senate President, respectively.

The panel must have one member each from the minority groups and will be jointly chaired by a designated member of the House of Representatives and a Senator.

The law stated that the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) shall, as needed, absorb the employees of the abolished Road Board Secretariat, without diminution of their salaries and other benefits.

Employees who are separated from the service as a result of the abolition of the Road Board and its secretariat shall receive separation benefits provided that those who are qualified to retire under existing laws shall be allowed to retire and receive retirement benefits to which they may be entitled under applicable laws, rules and regulations.

The law also mandates the transfer of Road Board rights, records, assets and liabilities to the DPWH, including the unexpended appropriations or allocations.

The Secretaries of the Department of Budget and Management (DBM), Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) and the Department of Transportation (DOTr) shall craft the Implementing Rules and Regulations (IRR) within 30 days from the effectivity of this act.

President Rodrigo Duterte has been pushing for the abolition of the Road Board, calling the agency a “milking cow” of corrupt government officials.

In 2018, the Commission on Audit flagged Road Board’s billions of pesos worth of unobligated projects and millions of pesos of excessive costs and overpayment. – Robie de Guzman

Tags: , ,

PNP: Cebu teen slay, a crime of passion

by UNTV News   |   Posted on Tuesday, 19 March 2019 03:50 PM

(L-R) The 17-year-old suspect in police custody and a CCTV footage of him with the victim before she was killed

MANILA, Philippines — The Philippine National Police (PNP) considers the murder of 16-year old Christine Lee Silawan as case solved but not yet closed, following the arrest of one of the suspects in the brutal killing.

The main suspect was arrested by the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) at his house in Barangay Maribago in Lapu-Lapu City, Cebu on Saturday (March 16), several days after Silawan’s mutilated body was found on Monday (March 11).

Based on a report of UNTV News and Rescue’s Ito ang Balita by Lea Ylagan on Tuesday, PNP Spokesperson Senior Supt. Bernard Banac said a case has already been filed against the arrested suspect, identified as the 17-year old former boyfriend of the slain Cebuana teen.

Banac added that they are not yet closing the case since they are still looking into the possibility that the male suspect received help in carrying out the crime.

“Nagkaroon na ng murder charges laban sa suspect na nahuli ng NBI at ito ay isinagawa kahapon at meron pang dalawang suspek kaya’t patuloy ang pagsuporta ng PNP. Masasabi na natin ngayon na the murder case is solved but not yet closed,” Banac said in a press briefing at Camp Crame.

Based on CCTV footage retrieved by NBI from the city’s security cameras, the suspect was seen with Silawan before she was killed on March 10.

Authorities believe the victim was killed around six or seven p.m. Her body was found early Monday morning, naked waist down and half of her face was skinned. She also suffered multiple stab wounds and her tongue, throat and upper part of the neck were removed.

The NBI said they have gotten hold of a Facebook conversation between the victim and a boy which led them to believe that it was the same person as the one they have arrested.

“Based on Facebook chats, the victim and the POI (person of interest) are there to meet. Parang may ibinigay siya na items, teddy bear at ‘tsaka cellphone. ‘Yung ka-chat niya sa Facebook. In-assume namin na siya ‘yun kaya nga we are still determining whether isa lang ba ‘yung tao na ‘yun,” NBI Central Visayas Assistant Regional Director Atty. Dominador Cimafranca said.

Police said intense jealousy may have triggered the brutal killing of the young victim.

 “Base sa pahayag ng NBI ay nagkaroon sila ng impormasyon na ito ay crime of passion dahil sa relasyon ng suspek doon sa biktima,” Banac said

“Subalit hindi naman doon titigil ang investigation team. Of course, titingnan pa rin lahat ang posibleng anggulo ng imbestigasyon,” he added.

Investigators have also concluded that Jonas Bueno has no involvement in the gruesome murder of Silawan.

Bueno was arrested in Davao City last March 15 (Friday) following suspicion on his link to the crime. He was the prime suspect in the killing of 60-year old Trinidad Batucan on January 11 in Danao City, Cebu, with the skin on her face and chest removed.

However, Bueno will remain in detention as he is facing charges for Batucan’s murder.

Meanwhile, the Silawan family hopes the real perpetrators of Christine’s killing will be brought to justice. – Robie de Guzman

Tags: , , ,