Duterte to revive Marcos’ agri programs

admin   •   October 24, 2016   •   3299

image_oct-17-2016_untv-news_rodrigo-duterte

 

President Rodrigo Duterte said, he aims to gradually bring back agricultural projects implemented during the administration of former President Ferdinand Marcos.

This is to improve the agriculture sector and ensure food self-sufficiency in the country.

“I just like to get the idea of [former President] Marcos. That’s a long time ago. The ‘Biyayang Dagat’ and ‘Masagana 99’. I would like to bring it back. I will copy those. The former president was bright. He knew what to do. That is why I would like to bring it back. Gradually, to be able to help a lot,” said Duterte,

The statement was made when President Duterte visited and distributed assistance to the victims of super typhoon Lawin in Cagayan on Sunday.

Together with relief goods, the president also gave plant seeds to the local government for the farmers affected by the typhoon.

Aside from this, the president also promised that the agriculture sector will benefit from China’s investment in the country, aside from receiving education and health benefits.

Meanwhile, the president is also hopeful that in the coming days, Filipino fishermen will be able to return to Bajo de Masinloc or Scarborough Shoal – a disputed territory of China and the Philippines.

This is included in the request made by the president during his visit to China last week.

“Perhaps we’ll just wait for a few more days. Maybe we could return to Scarborough Shoal the fishing of our fishermen,” he said.

Meanwhile, President Duterte stressed once again that he will not acknowledge the international treaty that imposes limitations on carbon emission.  The president said, the treaty hinders the country’s progress.

He also blamed industrialized countries for the destruction of the environment.

“I will develop my country in accordance to the needs of my people. There are a lot of people. I need to use a lot of machines. If you stop me, how would I feed my fellow Filipinos? How could I produce a lot of – everything. It is not mechanized. We just plow and plow. If I would not initiate improvement, I cannot feed the nation.”

From Tuguegarao, Cagayan, President Duterte also visited Isabela and Ilocos Norte which had been severely affected by the typhoon last week.

PH Military to probe alleged China harassment of TV crew in West Philippine Sea

Robie de Guzman   •   April 9, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) has been ordered to conduct an investigation into the alleged harassment of Chinese vessels on a Filipino television crew in the West Philippine Sea, the Department of National Defense (DND) said Friday.

In a statement, DND spokesperson Arsenio Andolong said the AFP will gather and validate all information relating to the incident.

“The Defense Department has directed the AFP through its Western Command to investigate, gather, and validate all the relevant facts on the incident,” he said.

Andolong said the outcome of the investigation will be used to coordinate any appropriate action through the National Task Force-West Philippine Sea, as well as engagement among the Department of Foreign Affairs, Department of Transportation, and other concerned agencies.

“We are concerned for the safety of anyone — unarmed civilians — at sea. As such, we view the report with concern,” he said.

In a separate statement, the AFP has expressed concern over the reported harassment of Chinese PLA Navy Vessels and a Chinese Coast Guard on another vessel carrying a television crew.

The media team was reportedly chased by Chinese boats while on its way to Ayungin Shoal, about 105 nautical miles from Palawan. The area is part of the Philippines’ exclusive economic zone.

AFP Spokesperson Marine Major General Edgard Arevalo said the Western Mindanao Command is looking into the incident to establish what really transpired.

“We have made representations with the news reporter to provide us raw footage or photographs they have of the incident to help us establish the circumstances and document the incident,” Arevalo said.

He, likewise, appealed to journalists to “exercise prudence in the course of their job.”

“We have accommodated members of media in our ships and aircraft to do their coverage so they can be protected while in the practice of their profession,” Arevalo said.

He added, “The AFP is concerned with the safety and well-being of our Kababayans that we have been forthright and transparent in our reporting about the situation in our EEZ.”

“Amidst the situation, the AFP reiterates its commitment to follow the dictates of the Constitution to protect the people and secure our sovereignty and sovereign rights,” he said.

PH gov’t on South China Sea issue: ‘We keep all options open’

Robie de Guzman   •   April 9, 2021

 

MANILA, Philippines – The Philippine government is keeping all its options open amid growing tensions over the presence of Chinese vessels in the contested South China Sea, the Department of National Defense (DND) said.

Disputes over the resource-rich waters have escalated in March after the Philippine military spotted more than 200 Chinese boats at the Julian Felipe Reef.

China claims that the area is part of its traditional fishing ground and that the vessels there were not a maritime militia but fishing boats that were only seeking temporary shelter due to rough sea conditions.

The Philippine government, however, insists that Julian Felipe Reef is part of the Kalayaan Island Group and lies in the Exclusive Economic Zone of the Republic of the Philippines. It is located 175 nautical miles west of Bataraza town in Palawan and 638,229 nautical miles from Hainan Island.

The Philippine Department of Foreign Affairs has repeatedly fired off diplomatic protest and called for the immediate withdrawal of the vessels. China, however, refused the appeals.

“As the situation in the West Philippine Sea evolves, we keep all our options open in managing the situation, including leveraging our partnerships with other nations such as the United States,” DND spokesperson Director Arsenio Andolong said in a statement.

Andolong’s issued the statement after the United States reminded China of Washington’s obligations to its treaty partners, including the Philippines, in the event of an attack in the waters.

“An armed attack against the Philippines’ armed forces, public vessels or aircraft in the Pacific, including in the South China Sea, will trigger our obligations under the US-Philippines Mutual Defense Treaty,” State Department spokesman Ned Price said on Wednesday.

“We share the concerns of our Philippine allies regarding the continued reported massing of PRC maritime militia near the Whitsun Reef,” Price said, referring to the People’s Republic of China.

Andolong said the United States’ admonition to China against the use of force on Philippine public vessels and aircraft, which are performing their constitutional mandate to protect and defend Philippine rights in the South China Sea, including the West Philippine Sea, “is an additional affirmation of the long-standing partnership between our two countries.”

“This also demonstrates the strength of our alliance and mutual commitment to promote the rules-based international order,” he added.

Andolong said the Philippines is closely coordinating with the United States on the matter of mutual defense.

“Both parties are committed to undertake their obligations under the Mutual Defense Treaty so that neither stands alone in these issues involving the two states’ inherent right of self-defense, individually and collectively,” he said.

“We remain committed to protecting and defending our national interests while upholding the security and stability in the region through a peaceful and rules-based approach,” he added.

Duterte honors COVID-19 frontliners, fallen soldiers on Day of Valor

Robie de Guzman   •   April 9, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte on Friday lauded the efforts of frontliners in the fight against the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic, as well as the sacrifices of soldiers as the country marks the Day of Valor (Araw ng Kagitingan).

In a message, Duterte paid tribute to the “selfless and dedicated frontliners whose unrelenting commitment in this fight reflects the heroism of the warriors of Bataan that continues to inspire in us a greater sense of patriotism and solidarity during these trying times.”

The president said the Day of Valor is “a firm reminder of the unyielding determination of the Filipino to prevail over all forms of adversity.”

“The valor of our forebears, which was exhibited during the defense of Bataan almost eight decades ago, has left an indelible mark in our history and shaped our indomitable spirit to rise after every fall,” he added.

Duterte also honored “our fallen soldiers whose sacrifice became the bedrock of our resolve to uphold our most cherished liberties.”

“May this awareness resonate among us as we strive to become worthy heirs to the nation that they fought and bled for. A meaningful and solemn remembrance to all,” he said.

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.