Duterte to release documents showing links of errant cops to drug trade
Robie de Guzman • April 3, 2019 • 1931
QUEZON CITY, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte has vowed to release some documents that will show the involvement of some local police officials in the narcotics trade.
In a report on UNTV News and Rescue’s C-NEWS by Rosalie Coz on Wednesday, Duterte said the involvement of errant cops was among the reasons why his administration failed to put an end to the problem of illegal drugs in the country.
The President has been implementing a relentless drive against illegal drugs since he rose to presidency in 2016. However, he said the role of some cops in the narcotics trade is causing his campaign to fail.
“Iyong paano maglaro ang pulis sa droga, ‘yung mga opisyal; at bakit hindi mahinto-hinto,” the President said in a speech during PDP-Laban’s Campaign Rally in Malabon City on Tuesday night.
( [The documents show] how these cops, these police officials are linked to illegal drugs and why we cannot stop the drug trade.)
“At bakit naman ‘yung mga pulis noon naka-assign sa anti-drugs hanggang ngayon sa anti-drugs pa rin? Kaya pinaglalaruan ang Pilipino,” he added.
(Why are the police assigned in the anti-drugs division still there? They are making a fool out of the Filipino people.)
Duterte also admitted difficulty in curbing the illegal drug menace as it is a worldwide problem, afflicting even China, United States, Taiwan and many other countries.
Last month, Duterte said the drug situation in the country has worsened. Malacañang had clarified that the President was referring to the amount of illegal drugs being smuggled into the country.
During PDP-Laban’s campaign rally, the Chief Executive also gave an ultimatum to Malabon Mayor Antolin “Lenlen” Oreta to rid the city of illegal drugs or face arrest.
“Mayor, linisin mo ang Malabon mo. Bigyan kita ng isang buwan,” Duterte said.
(Mayor, clean up your Malabon [City]. I will give you one month)
“Alam ninyo ang problema ninyo dito, law and order. Ang mayor, ayaw niyang hintuin. I do not know kung mayor kasali pero palagay ko hindi. Pero yung protection niya sa mga tao niya, ‘di naman siya pwedeng magbigay araw-araw, yang shabu hinahayaan, ang tama niyan anak ninyo,” he added.
(You know, you have a problem with law and order here. Your mayor is not putting an end to it. I do not know if the mayor is involved – I don’t think he is – but the protection he is providing for his people, his allowing shabu to proliferate, will one day affect your children)
Oreta is seeking reelection for a third and final term this May under the opposition Liberal party.
Duterte was campaigning for Malabon City Vice Mayor Jeannie Sandoval, who is Oreta’s opponent for the mayoralty race in the coming polls. – Robie de Guzman
MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte on Friday said telecommunications companies should report local government units that are obstructing the building of additional cell towers by delaying the processing of permits.
Duterte made the statement in a televised address after Globe Telecom President and CEO Ernest Cu told the president about their permitting woes in order to build more cell sites and improve their services.
“We are suffering ho from many, many years of this, before your administation, many administrations, 25 to 29 permit umaabot ng walong buwan tapos marami pa ho kaming miscellaneous fees ho. Iba-ibang klaseng tower fee. Mayroon kaming special use permit,” Cu said.
Cu met with Duterte after the latter threatened during his State of the Nation Address to shut down or expropriate telcos if no improvements are made in their services before December.
“Kasi sabi ko, ‘pag hindi mo pa na-improve ‘yan, I will hang you in one of your towers. Sabi niya, “Mayor, you cannot do that because there is no tower. The local governments are all f—–g it up,” Duterte told Cu in jest.
After hearing Cu’s concerns, the chief executive urged telcos to issue a formal complaint against local government units that are stalling the processing of permits for additional communication towers.
He also told telcos to report LGUs to proper authorities.
“Isumbong niyo na lang ng diresto at ang order ko sa Cabinet ngayon is to really take the, ‘kung pinakamabigat, the most drastic measure that you can find, para magkaintindihan. This is my last mile,” he said.
Interior and Local Government Secretary Eduardo Año, in the same briefing, said that local government units have been ordered to shorten the process and reduce the time spent in producing permits to 16 to 20 days.
“Dati po kailangan pa ng Home-Owners Association Resolution, kailangan pa ng Sangguniang Bayan Resolution, wala na po ‘yon. 16 days to 20 days po ang target para y’ong lahat ng permit ay tatakbo,” he said.
The government has been pushing for the ease of doing business to streamline the process in government agencies.
Globe Telecom and PLDT Inc. earlier said they are currently working on expansion plans to improve the communication services in the country. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Asher Cadapan Jr.)
The date was chosen based on the recommendation of the National Commission on Muslim Filipinos.
The president also reminded the public that the observance of the event shall be subject to existing community quarantine and social distancing measures. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Rosalie Coz)
MANILA, Philippines – New community quarantine classifications that would take effect in Metro Manila and other parts of the country in August will be announced by President Rodrigo Duterte before Friday, Malacañang said.
In a televised briefing on Thursday, Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-MEID) is set to meet this week to discuss data on the case doubling rate of the coronavirus disease as well as the critical care utilization in the country which will be submitted by the Department of Health (DOH) on Wednesday.
Roque said the IATF will submit its recommendations for the approval of President Rodrigo Duterte once appeals by the local government units on the quarantine restrictions have been finalized.
Metro Manila is currently under general community quarantine (GCQ) as well as Laguna, Cavite, and Rizal, Lapu Lapu City, Mandaue City, Ormoc City, Southern Leyte, Talisay, Minglanilla, and Consolacion in Cebu Province, Zamboanga City, Butuan City, Agusan del Norte, and Basilan in Mindanao.
Cebu City is under enhanced community quarantine while the rest of the country are placed under the more relaxed modified GCQ with strict local action.
Roque also said that “major changes” may be implemented in the government’s response against novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19), adding that these changes will focus more on the policies to contain the public health crisis.
He said these changes may include massive testing, “invigorated” tracing, and creation of more quarantine facilities.
As of July 28, the Philippines has recorded a total of 83,673 coronavirus infections, 55,109 of which are active cases.
The DOH said 1,678 additional cases were reported based on the total tests done by 81 of the 91 operational laboratories.
The department likewise reported 173 new recoveries, bringing the total number of recovered patients to 26,617. The death toll also increased to 1,947 with four new fatalities. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Rosalie Coz)
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.