Duterte to back US if Filipinos are harmed in Middle East tensions – Palace
Robie de Guzman • January 7, 2020 • 288
MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte will side with the United States of America if Filipinos in the Middle East are harmed amid the brewing tensions between the two countries, Malacañang said Tuesday.
Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo made the statement a day after the president and his Cabinet met to discuss the situation in the Middle East and formulate plans for the possible mass evacuation of Filipino workers should the tensions erupt into conflict.
Tensions between the US and Iran have been growing following the killing of a top Iranian military commander in a US drone strike last week.
“The President is very specific in saying last night that if the Filipinos are harmed, he’ll side with the Americans,” Panelo said.
The Palace official added that the chief executive “will not sit down idly,” and that he has sent Presidential Adviser on Overseas Filipino Workers Abdullah Mamao to deliver his appeal to the Iranian and Iraqi governments that no Filipinos be harmed in the course of the ongoing conflicts.
“He is expressing his concern for the safety of his countrymen… Kumbaga sinasabi niya ‘uy hindi kami kasali diyan,’” he added.
Panelo said the president is wary that some Iranians may harm Filipino workers there as the Philippines has long been known as an ally of the United States.
“Ang sinasabi ng President, wag ninyong idamay mga Pilipino sa away ninyo sa Amerika. Kasi we’re supposed to be allied with the Americans and yung enemies might attack not only the Americans but also the allies of the Americans,” he said.
The Philippines and the US are bound by decades-old Mutual Defense Treaty which requires both countries to assist each other when either of them is attacked by a foreign force.
Duterte earlier ordered the Philippine military to prepare its assets for deployment and to lay down plans for the possible repatriation of thousands of Filipinos workers in the Middle East.
He also asked former military chief and now Environment Secretary Roy Cimatu to fly to the Middle East to make the necessary coordination for a possible mass evacuation. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Rosalie Coz)
MANILA, Philippines – Two new classrooms jointly built by United States and Philippine troops have been opened in Puerto Princesa, Palawan.
The new classrooms were inaugurated on February 19, at the Malatgao National Elementary School, the US Embassy in Manila said in a statement.
US Navy Lt. Joshua Moore said the new learning facilities, built by American and Filipino soldiers under arrangements through the Visiting Forces Agreement (VFA), will be used by over 100 students residing in the community.
“This project provides a much-needed schoolhouse for the Malatgao National Elementary School in Palawan, which will be utilized by over 120 students,” Moore was quoted as saying in the statement.
“We are proud to assist this community working hand-in-hand with our Filipino counterparts,” he added.
Under the VFA, US and Philippine troops participate in war and disaster response drills and assist in humanitarian projects like erecting multi-purpose buildings or helping repair schools.
The deal, which came into force in 1999, was terminated by President Rodrigo Duterte last week. The notice of termination will take effect after 180 days.
The US Embassy said that in the last four years, its Navy engineers, known as Seabees, have completed 24 humanitarian projects across the Philippines.
These projects include single- and double-room classrooms, water catchment systems, multipurpose school huts, and multipurpose communal buildings.
Joint construction operations such as these between the Philippine Navy Seabees, U.S. Navy Seabees, Philippine Marines, and local Barangays serve to strengthen the U.S.-Philippine partnership.
“I think working with U.S. troops will make our alliance stronger and continue to increase our bonds for years to come,” said Apprentice Fireman Construction Electrician Joel Nioda from Zamboanga City.
“This will help unify and grow our bilateral relationship,” he added.
Since October 2016, the U.S. Navy Seabees construction projects for Philippine communities are valued at more than PHP100,000,000 ($1.9 Million).
MANILA, Philippines – Filipinos repatriated from Wuhan City in China are now allowed to go home as they showed no signs and symptoms of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) after their 14-day quarantine period, the Department of Health (DOH) said Friday.
In a statement, the DOH said the 30 Filipinos and 19 others who returned from Wuhan – the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak – will be released after they manifested no signs of fever, cough, or sore throat during their 14-day stay at the quarantine facility in New Clark City in Capas, Tarlac.
A send-off ceremony will be held on February 22, Saturday to mark the completion of their mandatory quarantine, the department said.
“We are glad that our repatriates are all well and safe from COVID-19. Our repatriation mission is not possible without the dedication and cooperation of the entire Interagency Task Force for Emerging Infectious Diseases with all its member agencies,” Health Secretary Francisco Duque III said.
“We are extremely grateful for the collective effort of the government,” he added.
The DOH, meanwhile, revealed that another batch of Filipinos is set to be quarantined in the facility following their arrival this weekend.
This batch is composed of about 460 to 480 Filipinos from the virus-hit M/V Diamond Princess cruise ship who availed of the government’s repatriation program.
The health department said the Inter-Agency Task Force on Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-EID) has already adopted a repatriation plan for the return of the Filipinos from Yokohama, Japan.
They are also coordinating with the World Health Organization, the Philippine Embassy in Japan and the Magsaysay Maritime Corporation for the repatriation process.
Under the repatriation plan, the DOH shall provide health human resources and transportation to the quarantine site, on-site medical needs of the repatriates, hospitalization expenses through Philhealth, and personal protective equipment (PPE) for the first five days of the quarantine period.
Magsaysay Maritime Corporation will bear the cost of transportation expenses, food, lodging, personal hygiene kits and disinfectants, and other expenses.
The Department of Transportation will shoulder the transportation of repatriates from Haribon hangar in Pampanga to New Clark City, while the OWWA will provide livelihood packages to the repatriates, and their transportation from Manila to their respective destinations after the quarantine period.
“We would like to assure Filipinos abroad that our government is working tirelessly to ensure that no Filipino gets left behind in our fight against COVID-19. DOH and the Philippine government are prepared to undertake all measures to care for our kababayans, no matter where they are,” Duque said.
MANILA, Philippines – The construction of the first hospital for overseas Filipino workers (OFW) is set to begin following the signing of a memorandum of agreement for the project between the government and private donors, the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) said Friday.
In a statement, DOLE said the deal which signals the commencement of the project construction was signed in a ceremony held last week in San Fernando, Pampanga.
Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III led the signing of the agreement with representatives from the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA), the Department of Health, the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation (Pagcor), other officials from the local government and the Bloomberry Cultural Foundation.
Under the agreement, Pagcor will donate P200 million for the acquisition and installation of equipment and facilities for the hospital, while Bloomberry Cultural Foundation will shoulder the cost of construction amounting to P400 million.
The local government of Pampanga has donated a two-hectare property in Barangay Sindalan for the project.
In his remarks during the signing ceremony, Bello lauded the signatories’ commitment to building the first and only hospital in the Philippines that will provide free medical services to the country’s modern-day heroes.
“This hospital is going to be built to recognize the heroism of our OFWs who continue to power economic growth in the country,” Bello said.
“It’s a fitting tribute to Filipino workers who, through their valuable remittances, have kept the economy afloat during many challenging times,” he added.
DOLE said the hospital is expected to be completed in May 2021.
Once completed, the hospital will render free services when OFWs are securing medical certificates covering laboratory exams and other requirements for their overseas deployment.
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.