Duterte thumbs down fresh bid to resume in-person classes – Palace
Robie de Guzman • February 22, 2021 • 661
MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte has rejected for a second time, proposals to resume face-to-face classes in the country amid the continuing threat of novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19), Malacañang said Monday.
“Nagdesisyon na po ang president ha, wala pa rin po tayong face-to-face classes sa bansa,” Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said
“Ang sabi niya, ayaw po niyang malagay sa panganib o alanganin ang buhay ng ating mga mag-aaral at mga guro habang wala pa pong nababakunahan sa bansa,” he added.
Roque issued the statement after the Department of Education (DepEd) earlier expressed support for fresh bids to conduct a dry-run of in-person classes in areas classified as low-risk for COVID-19 transmission.
He, however, said that face-to-face classes may be considered in August this year after the launch of the COVID-19 vaccination drive.
“Sabi niya, may awa po ang Panginoon, baka naman po pagkatapos nating malunsad ang ating vaccination program, pwede na tayong mag-face to face sa Agosto lalong-lalo na dun sa mga lugar na mababa po ang COVID-19 cases,” he said.
A pilot test of limited face-to-face classes was supposed to be held by the government last January but was ordered suspended by Duterte due to increasing COVID-19 cases.
Education Secretary Leonor Briones last week said that a survey conducted by her agency showed that more than 50% of students were in favor of attending face-to-face classes.
Briones also said that the Philippines is also the only country in Southeast Asia that has yet to resume limited in-person classes to supplement distance learning modalities. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Rosalie Coz)
MANILA, Philippines — The Philippine National Police (PNP) will deploy around 15,000 police officers to secure President Rodrigo Duterte’s last State of the Nation Address (SONA) on Monday, July 26.
PNP chief Guillermo Eleazar said the National Capital Region Police Office has finalized the security preparations and deployment plans for the SONA.
“Handang-handa na ang inyong Philippine National Police sa SONA ng ating Pangulong Duterte sa darating na Lunes,” Eleazar said in a statement.
“Nakalatag na ang mga security plan at nakaantabay na rin ang sufficient number ng ating kapulisan para sa deployment at iba pang contingency measures,” he added.
Eleazar said the PNP has not monitored any threat to the SONA but assured that all personnel are ready to respond to any eventuality.
Police officers will also use body-worn cameras to help monitor the movements of suspicious persons who may be planning to disrupt the SONA, he added.
Eleazar asked for the public’s cooperation and urged groups planning to stage mass actions to conduct their activities online amid the threat of the more infectious Delta COVID-19 variant.
“Sa ilan nating mga kababayan na patuloy pa ring nagpa-plano para sa isang rally, nagpapa-alala ang inyong PNP na lubha pang delikado ang ganitong klaseng pagtitipon lalo na at may kumpirmasyon na ng local transmission ng Delta variant ng COVID-19,” he said.
“Mas ligtas na makinig at manood na lang tayo ng SONA sa ating mga tahanan,” he added.
MANILA, Philippines – Only eight senators will physically attend the final State of the Nation Address (SONA) of President Rodrigo Duterte on Monday, July 26.
Based on the list shared to the media, the following senators will physically attend Duterte’s SONA which will be held at the Batasang Pambansa Complex:
Senate President Vicente Sotto III
Senate Majority Leader Juan Miguel Zubiri
Senator Ronald dela Rosa
Senator Sherwin Gatchalian
Senator Christopher Lawrence “Bong” Go
Senator Imee Marcos
Senator Ramon Bong Revilla Jr.
Senator Francis Tolentino
Sotto said senators who have not manifested their intention to attend the SONA physically will be hearing Duterte’s address virtually.
The Office of the Senate Secretary earlier said that lawmakers and their staff who will attend Duterte’s SONA should be fully vaccinated and should yield negative results for COVID-19 RT-PCR and antigen tests.
Attendees will be required to present their vaccination cards indicating that they have completed their doses two weeks prior to the president’s SONA.
They are also required to undergo RT-PCR tests two days before the event, and antigen tests on Monday at the Batasang Pambansa Complex.
SONA attendees will also be required to wear Presidential Security Group-prescribed face masks, and face shields embedded with QR codes while inside the Plenary building.
MANILA, Philippines — The political plans for 2022 of President Rodrigo Duterte will not be included in his final State of the Nation Address (SONA) on Monday, July 26, his spokesperson said Thursday.
“Siguro po, hindi mapapasama ang kaniyang mga planong pulitikal,” Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said at a Palace briefing.
“Importante po is the roadmap for his last year in office,” he added.
Duterte earlier said he is open to seeking the vice presidency in the next elections.
Roque on Wednesday said Duterte’s SONA will look back into the past five years of his administration and will focus on measures, such as infrastructure programs, that will help the country bounce back from the impact of the coronavirus pandemic. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Rosalie Coz)
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.