Duterte tells Filipinos: Be assertive vs corrupt officials
Robie de Guzman • July 23, 2019 • 1261
MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte on Monday (July 22) advised Filipinos to “be assertive,” and “make a scene” when they encounter corrupt officials.
In his fourth State of the Nation Address (SONA) at the Batasan Pambansa, Duterte called on Filipinos to help fight corruption in the government by being assertive and making a scene in the government office when they are asked for more than the required payment.
“Kayo rin kasi sinasabi ko na sa’yo, be assertive. At ‘pag kayo hiningan more than the required payment by the government, again I’m telling you, mag-iskandalo kayo sa opisina,” the president said.
(I am telling you, be assertive. And when you are asked for more than the required payment by government, again I’m telling you, make a scene in the office.)
“Make a scene, sampalin mo ‘yang mga ya** na ‘yan kasi aabot rin sa akin ‘yan,” he added.
(Make a scene, slap that person because that report will reach me.)
The president even gave a line that Filipinos may use when dealing with a corrupt official: “[Ang sabi] ni Duterte that if you extort money from me, I will slap you. At sampalin talaga ninyo. Di na bale magka-away. I will defend you.”
The chief executive said he has punished corrupt officials at the Malacañang Palace.
“Ako magprangka sa inyo. Ako lang ang presidente na hanggang ngayon nambubugbog ng tao. Pinapakain ko ng pera ‘yang mga ya** na ‘yan,” he said.
(I will be frank with you. I am the only president who until now beats people. I make them eat bills.)
He also encouraged Filipinos to report corrupt government officials through hotline 8888.
“Be sure that it is true. Though you are not liable for libel, pero ‘wag naman ‘yang makasakit ka ng tao na wala namang kasalanan (but don’t make a report that would only hurt innocent people),” he said.
Duterte, in his speech, also expressed frustration and lamented that corruption in the government remains “pervasive,” despite his crackdown against erring public officials.
“I have fired or caused the resignation of more than a hundred officials and appointees of government without regard to relationship and friendship and alliance,” he said.
Last week, Duterte met with personnel and officials of the Bureau of Customs tagged in corruption allegations to tell them they will be facing administrative raps before the Office of the Ombudsman.
“There is no sacred cow, as the saying goes, in my administration,” he said.
In his last three years in office, Duterte has pledged to run after government officials tagged in corrupt practices.
MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte on Friday said telecommunications companies should report local government units that are obstructing the building of additional cell towers by delaying the processing of permits.
Duterte made the statement in a televised address after Globe Telecom President and CEO Ernest Cu told the president about their permitting woes in order to build more cell sites and improve their services.
“We are suffering ho from many, many years of this, before your administation, many administrations, 25 to 29 permit umaabot ng walong buwan tapos marami pa ho kaming miscellaneous fees ho. Iba-ibang klaseng tower fee. Mayroon kaming special use permit,” Cu said.
Cu met with Duterte after the latter threatened during his State of the Nation Address to shut down or expropriate telcos if no improvements are made in their services before December.
“Kasi sabi ko, ‘pag hindi mo pa na-improve ‘yan, I will hang you in one of your towers. Sabi niya, “Mayor, you cannot do that because there is no tower. The local governments are all f—–g it up,” Duterte told Cu in jest.
After hearing Cu’s concerns, the chief executive urged telcos to issue a formal complaint against local government units that are stalling the processing of permits for additional communication towers.
He also told telcos to report LGUs to proper authorities.
“Isumbong niyo na lang ng diresto at ang order ko sa Cabinet ngayon is to really take the, ‘kung pinakamabigat, the most drastic measure that you can find, para magkaintindihan. This is my last mile,” he said.
Interior and Local Government Secretary Eduardo Año, in the same briefing, said that local government units have been ordered to shorten the process and reduce the time spent in producing permits to 16 to 20 days.
“Dati po kailangan pa ng Home-Owners Association Resolution, kailangan pa ng Sangguniang Bayan Resolution, wala na po ‘yon. 16 days to 20 days po ang target para y’ong lahat ng permit ay tatakbo,” he said.
The government has been pushing for the ease of doing business to streamline the process in government agencies.
Globe Telecom and PLDT Inc. earlier said they are currently working on expansion plans to improve the communication services in the country. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Asher Cadapan Jr.)
The date was chosen based on the recommendation of the National Commission on Muslim Filipinos.
The president also reminded the public that the observance of the event shall be subject to existing community quarantine and social distancing measures. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Rosalie Coz)
MANILA, Philippines – New community quarantine classifications that would take effect in Metro Manila and other parts of the country in August will be announced by President Rodrigo Duterte before Friday, Malacañang said.
In a televised briefing on Thursday, Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-MEID) is set to meet this week to discuss data on the case doubling rate of the coronavirus disease as well as the critical care utilization in the country which will be submitted by the Department of Health (DOH) on Wednesday.
Roque said the IATF will submit its recommendations for the approval of President Rodrigo Duterte once appeals by the local government units on the quarantine restrictions have been finalized.
Metro Manila is currently under general community quarantine (GCQ) as well as Laguna, Cavite, and Rizal, Lapu Lapu City, Mandaue City, Ormoc City, Southern Leyte, Talisay, Minglanilla, and Consolacion in Cebu Province, Zamboanga City, Butuan City, Agusan del Norte, and Basilan in Mindanao.
Cebu City is under enhanced community quarantine while the rest of the country are placed under the more relaxed modified GCQ with strict local action.
Roque also said that “major changes” may be implemented in the government’s response against novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19), adding that these changes will focus more on the policies to contain the public health crisis.
He said these changes may include massive testing, “invigorated” tracing, and creation of more quarantine facilities.
As of July 28, the Philippines has recorded a total of 83,673 coronavirus infections, 55,109 of which are active cases.
The DOH said 1,678 additional cases were reported based on the total tests done by 81 of the 91 operational laboratories.
The department likewise reported 173 new recoveries, bringing the total number of recovered patients to 26,617. The death toll also increased to 1,947 with four new fatalities. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Rosalie Coz)
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.