Duterte supporters call for continuation of war on drugs

admin   •   February 27, 2017   •   3501

Supporters of President Rodrigo Duterte gathered at the Luneta Park on Saturday, February 25.

Supporters of President Rodrigo Duterte at the Luneta Park on Saturday, February 25, 2017.

Groups that supported President Rodrigo Duterte’s presidential campaign last year gathered once again at the Luneta Park on Saturday.

They wanted to express their continued support to his campaign against illegal drugs, corruption and poverty.

Bobby Brillante, spokesperson of the Mayor Rodrigo Roa Duterte – National Executive Coordinating Committee (MRRD-NECC) said, there are times when they see that the President is losing courage.

“We are urging the President not to be weakened. The fight against illegal drugs must continue,” he said.

“We are also calling on General “Bato” dela Rosa. There has been suspension of anti-illegal drugs operations. We are urging him to also pursue the same with probably heightened intensity because that is what we need to attain order,” Brillante urged.

Aside from showing support, the groups wanted to let the President know that they await the realization of his promises

Some 200,000 came to the gathering at Luneta alongside the commemoration of the 31st anniversary of the Edsa People Power Revolution.

“At Edsa, we fought for the return of peace and democracy. And here in Luneta, we are fighting for the continuance of freedom and democracy,” said Brillante.

“We have to make sure that freedom is preserved. We have to make sure that democracy is strengthened and should not be lessened as we go on.”

Aside from staging events in Metro Manila, Duterte caravans were also conducted in several provinces.

In Bacolod City, some 500 supporters of the President participated in the caravan including several mayors and provincial officials along with DILG Undersecretary JV Hino, Jr. — UNTV News and Rescue

Duterte calls on Filipinos to reflect on PH history, be everyday heroes

Robie de Guzman   •   August 26, 2019

President Rodrigo Duterte (PCOO/FILE PHOTO)

MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte on Monday called on Filipinos to reflect on the history and be everyday heroes as the country marks the National Heroes’ Day.

In his message, Duterte urged Filipinos to reflect on the country’s history and honor the brave souls who “courageously fought for our freedom and the democratic ideals upon which our nation was founded.”

“The collective sacrifice of the country’s heroes “made it possible for us to enjoy the blessings of liberty and to continue strengthening this great nation that they have left behind,” he said.

“We recognize their heroism not only by erecting statues in their honor but by uplifting the welfare of the poor and marginalized for it is through our small deeds that their spirit of valor can live on,” he added.

The President also called on Filipinos to make our forebears proud of the triumphs as a people “by being everyday heroes who will reach out to those who are in need, especially to the ones who have been neglected by society.”

“I truly believe that every Filipino is a hero who can build on our vibrant legacy of fortitude and resilience,” he said.

“As we face the future together, I encourage everyone to embody solidarity and sustain our momentum towards positive change not only for ourselves, but for the succeeding generations as well,” he added.

The chief executive skipped the commemoration of the National Heroes’ Day at the Libingan ng mga Bayani on Monday as he is “not feeling well,” according to Duterte’s former aide and now Senator Christopher Lawrence “Bong” Go.

He, however, assured that there is nothing to worry about the president’s health.

House Speaker Alan Peter Cayetano was tapped to represent the president in leading the National Heroes’ Day rites, according to Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo.

‘Indisposed’ Duterte skips National Heroes’ Day celebration

Robie de Guzman   •   August 26, 2019

(R-L) President Rodrigo Duterte, House Speaker Alan Peter Cayetano and Senator Christopher Lawrence “Bong” Go

According to Duterte’s former long-time aide and now Senator Christopher Lawrence “Bong” Go, the president was feeling out of sorts after studying and signing many documents and meeting with different personalities, including Moro National Liberation Front Founding Chairman Nur Misuari over the weekend.

MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte did notattend the commemoration of the National Heroes’ Day at the Libingan ng mga Bayani on Monday.

“He’s indisposed, 74 years old na po si Pangulo, kailangan niya ring magpahinga… Magkasama pa kaming kaninang madaling araw, mga four ng umaga,” Go told reporters.

(He’s indisposed. The President is already 74 years old, he needs rest. We were together until early this morning, around 4 a.m.)

Go, however, assured that there is nothing to worry about the president’s health.

Malacañang earlier said House Speaker Alan Peter Cayetano was tapped to represent the chief executive at the National Heroes’ Day rites.

The Palace also said that by Monday afternoon, the president is set to visit the family of a soldier killed in a clash in Calbayog City, Samar.

Duterte earlier called on Filipinos to reflect on the country’s history and honor the brave souls who “courageously fought for our freedom and the democratic ideals upon which our nation was founded.”

READ: Duterte calls on Filipinos to reflect on PH history, be everyday heroes

He also urged the public to be “everyday heroes who will reach out to those who are in need, especially to the ones who have been neglected by society.” (RRD with details from Correspondent Rosalie Coz)

Dela Rosa renews call for death penalty in PH amid talks of Sanchez release

Robie de Guzman   •   August 22, 2019

MANILA, Philippines – Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa on Thursday renewed his call for the reimposition of death penalty in the country amid talks on the possible release of convicted rapist and murderer, former Calauan, Laguna Mayor Antonio Sanchez.

Dela Rosa said the impending release of Sanchez and other inmates convicted of heinous crimes should not have been an issue now if the capital punishment was not abolished.

“Kung sa akin lang kung ganyan ka-heinous ang krimen na ginawa niya (Sanchez) dapat binitay na siya noon di ba, kung may death penalty na noon nabitay na yan… pero wala tayong magawa,” he said in a statement.

Sanchez was sentenced in 1995 to seven terms of reclusion perpetua (or 40 years of imprisonment) over the rape and murder of students Eileen Sarmenta and Allan Gomez.

At the time of Sanchez’s conviction, the capital punishment was still in place.

The Department of Justice (DOJ) earlier said Sanchez is among the more than 11,000 other inmates who might soon be freed due to a 2013 law that increased good conduct and time allowance (GCTA) given to inmates and a Supreme court ruling last June applying this law retroactively.

Dela Rosa said the pending release of inmates, especially those who were convicted of heinous crimes, could be averted if the capital punishment is reimposed.

He further noted that existing laws should be observed.

“Don’t get me wrong, I’m just on the side of the law. Andiyan yang batas (Republic Act 10592) na ‘yan, dapat respetuhin natin, sundin natin,” he added.

But Sanchez’s eligibility under the new GCTA rule has been questioned by lawmakers and other sectors due to allegations of possession of illegal drugs after a prison guard found a packet of shabu and marijuana in his jail cell. An air condition unit and a television set were also seized from his cell, which are violation of prison rules.

When asked on the validity of releasing Sanchez, Dela Rosa said the DOJ through the Board of Pardons and Parole should explain to the public with regard to the GCTA.

“Well tanungin natin yung Board of Pardons and Parole na nagre-recommend niyan at yung sa loob ng Bureau of Corrections kung paano nila na compute, ang alam ko meron yang computation, may corresponding GCTA yan kung ilan days ang mababawas sa sintensya mo,” he said.

READ: BuCor says convicted ex-Mayor Sanchez may not be eligible for release under new GCTA rule

The Bureau of Corrections earlier said that contrary to earlier reports, Sanchez may not qualify for early release from prison due to several alleged violations of prison rules.

“As far as the Bureau is concerned, dahil nahulihan talaga sa kubol niya nuong 2006, as far as we are concerned, legal ang pagkakahuli sa kaniya… that means definitely disqualified him sa good conduct time allowance,” BuCor director general Nicanor Faeldon said.

Meanwhile, Senate President Vicente Sotto III questioned whether Sanchez’s case is the best argument for the revival of death penalty.

“7 life sentences, no indemnification, hearings for parole did not inform Sarmenta family. Best argument for death penalty?” Sotto asked in a Twitter post on Wednesday.

Several lawmakers have expressed support for the return of the capital punishment, including Senators Sherwin Gatchalian, Pia Cayateno, Bong Go, Cynthia Villar, Sonny Angara and Aquilino “Koko” Pimentel, but only for high level drug trafficking.

While other senators, including Risa Hontiveros, Franklin Drilon, Francis Pangilinan, Leila de Lima, Ralph Recto and Joel Villanueva expressed opposition to the proposal.

The Philippines abolished the death penalty under the 1987 Constitution. President Fidel Ramos reimposed the capital punishment in 1993 as a crime control measure but President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo reinstated its abolition in 2006.

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+63) 396-8688 (Tel)

(+63) 2 920.8336 (Fax)

info@untvweb.com (General inquiries)

support@untvweb.com

UNTV News and Rescue Emergency Hotlines:

LANDLINE (+63) 396-8688

ADVERTISE WITH US

(+63) 2 442.6244 Loc. 143, 144, 162, 164

advertising@untvweb.com

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.